TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleophat, Mercogliano and Harrison

rsgunner

Oh, I had forgotten about them, I guess they just got another job at another TV Station. Or maybe they went down another career path.

One example of a news anchor leaving to a higher ranking job would be Angela Howard. Im assuming she was an assignment reporter at WNEM but left for WCTV to work at an anchor desk. Thats what Im guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Who was Harrison? My least favorite is the brown-haired young guy who stumbles on multiple words in every simple report. You could almost make a drinking game out of this. :)

I've come to realize that WCTV is sort of a training ground for the young field reporters. I try not to get to attached to them, b/c they don't stay very long. Which really isn't a bad thing b/c after-all we are an education town.

I do like Howard, better than Lee when it comes to delivering the news.

Who was Harrison? My least favorite is the brown-haired young guy who stumbles on multiple words in every simple report. You could almost make a drinking game out of this. :)

I've come to realize that WCTV is sort of a training ground for the young field reporters. I try not to get to attached to them, b/c they don't stay very long. Which really isn't a bad thing b/c after-all we are an education town.

I do like Howard, better than Lee when it comes to delivering the news.

The "Harrison" Person was Patty Harrison.

What is the name of the stumbling brown haired reporter you are talking about?

Both Lee and Angela are better in my opinion than John Harrington and Jennifer Ryan,

compare the differences ...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/tallahas...-2007/320148681

Wow I don't even remember Patty Harrison. Do you have a photo?

The stumbler I was referring to is Blaine Tolison. Now I've not watch much local news in the past 2 months, so he may have improved. I think once he improves his craft, he'll make a fine reporter. He has a good presence on cam, just needs to work on the word stumbling.

There's just something about Lee's on screen presence I'm not totally sold on. I can't quite pinpoint (pun intended) it. :)

While Jennifer and John individually might not rank up too high, the 11pm team of John, Jennifer, Beau and Mike was great. The best team IMHO that I've ever seen on WCTV. Their chemistry and timing made them appear more like the bigger market broadcasts IMHO.

Also keep in mind awds, that you know these people personally and I don't. I am only critiquing them as a viewer and their on-air personalities. I am sure they are all great people and truly don't mean any disrespect as far as who they are goes, only their presentation. I'm sure once you are involved in the station, it's hard to separate the two. :)

BTW: Does anyone know if Amanda (don't you dare ever ever call me drunk girl from SNL :P ) still over at WTXL?

Wow I don't even remember Patty Harrison. Do you have a photo?

The stumbler I was referring to is Blaine Tolison. Now I've not watch much local news in the past 2 months, so he may have improved. I think once he improves his craft, he'll make a fine reporter. He has a good presence on cam, just needs to work on the word stumbling.

There's just something about Lee's on screen presence I'm not totally sold on. I can't quite pinpoint (pun intended) it. :)

While Jennifer and John individually might not rank up too high, the 11pm team of John, Jennifer, Beau and Mike was great. The best team IMHO that I've ever seen on WCTV. Their chemistry and timing made them appear more like the bigger market broadcasts IMHO.

Also keep in mind awds, that you know these people personally and I don't. I am only critiquing them as a viewer and their on-air personalities. I am sure they are all great people and truly don't mean any disrespect as far as who they are goes, only their presentation. I'm sure once you are involved in the station, it's hard to separate the two. :)

BTW: Does anyone know if Amanda (don't you dare ever ever call me drunk girl from SNL :P ) still over at WTXL?

Okay, I agree with you about Blaine, Ive seen him stutter, stumble, and so on. I think he'll improve, all reporters start out that way.

Put yourself in his shoes, would you be nervous and stumbling? Im only their on weekends so I don't really meet the weekday crew.

Put yourself in his shoes, would you be nervous and stumbling? Im only their on weekends so I don't really meet the weekday crew.

Wrong person to ask that question of. :) I tend to thrive on public speaking and don't really get nervous at all especially when reading something like reporters do. Now the Q&A part of my public speaking career/experience was a little more difficult, not b/c I didn't know the answer, it was just HOW to say it properly as not to get my bosses in trouble.

I'd think those that go into communications would feel like that too about public speaking especially in TV b/c you really don't see your audience live???

Wrong person to ask that question of. :) I tend to thrive on public speaking and don't really get nervous at all especially when reading something like reporters do. Now the Q&A part of my public speaking career/experience was a little more difficult, not b/c I didn't know the answer, it was just HOW to say it properly as not to get my bosses in trouble.

I'd think those that go into communications would feel like that too about public speaking especially in TV b/c you really don't see your audience live???

Exactly, you never can see your audience, and you don't know how big your audience is at any time while speaking/giving the news.

Exactly, you never can see your audience, and you don't know how big your audience is at any time while speaking/giving the news.

For me that would be a lot easier. Sort of like talking to yourself in the mirror. Try public speaking in front of an angry mob w/a few hecklers in the crowd. It's enough to make you wanna wear Depends. :)

For me that would be a lot easier. Sort of like talking to yourself in the mirror. Try public speaking in front of an angry mob w/a few hecklers in the crowd. It's enough to make you wanna wear Depends. :)

What do you even do/work at where you have to do that?

What do you even do/work at where you have to do that?

City and Regional Planner. In Orlando and Boca Raton. In a city like Boca, often times we'd have over 200 folks show up for a controversial project when I would be making a presentation to the City Council. They are also broadcast over cable. You've got to present your subject in a manner that conveniences all the "newly rich" and opinionated folks of Boca and the Council that the project is good for them. Often times you could hear murmurs and heckling type comments in the crowd as you presented the info. Then came the angry questions at the end.

I've done radio interviews several times and I must say for me they are the easiest even when they are live. When the reporter comes into your office or home, it's like having a personal conversation w/them. I've only done TV a few times. I find I do better if I don't look at myself in the monitors.

I've also spoken once to the FL Senate. I thought that was going to be hard, but it was easy b/c they don't even really listen to you. :)

City and Regional Planner. In Orlando and Boca Raton. In a city like Boca, often times we'd have over 200 folks show up for a controversial project when I would be making a presentation to the City Council. They are also broadcast over cable. You've got to present your subject in a manner that conveniences all the "newly rich" and opinionated folks of Boca and the Council that the project is good for them. Often times you could hear murmurs and heckling type comments in the crowd as you presented the info. Then came the angry questions at the end.

I've done radio interviews several times and I must say for me they are the easiest even when they are live. When the reporter comes into your office or home, it's like having a personal conversation w/them. I've only done TV a few times. I find I do better if I don't look at myself in the monitors.

I've also spoken once to the FL Senate. I thought that was going to be hard, but it was easy b/c they don't even really listen to you. :)

I see, on tv people cant be in the room for the reporters to hear their murmurs and stuff.

While I think people can be trained to be better public speakers and lose their fear of it. I also think some of it you are born with it such as the fear or dread. Many people are terrified to even speak to small groups while others like me get more of a "high" from it and no fear.

Would you agree or not?

While I think people can be trained to be better public speakers and lose their fear of it. I also think some of it you are born with it such as the fear or dread. Many people are terrified to even speak to small groups while others like me get more of a "high" from it and no fear.

Would you agree or not?

Yes, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally speaking...been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

With 20 years of professional radio broadcast experience under my belt & plenty of public events included, I've had my fair share of angry mob with and w/o hecklers. Try telling drunks in a public event that the person they've come to see and have been waiting out in 90+ degree heat isn't going to perform. Yikes! Forget the Depends...make sure the running shoes are laced up TIGHT!

And I did my share of radio talk shows, too. Lots of angry callers.

Personally speaking...been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

With 20 years of professional radio broadcast experience under my belt & plenty of public events included, I've had my fair share of angry mob with and w/o hecklers. Try telling drunks in a public event that the person they've come to see and have been waiting out in 90+ degree heat isn't going to perform. Yikes! Forget the Depends...make sure the running shoes are laced up TIGHT!

And I did my share of radio talk shows, too. Lots of angry callers.

Ha, you never can underestimate the power of stupid/drunk :alc: people in large numbers. :)

Sounds entertaining. :lol: messing with their heads

My career, if you can call it that, was wonderful. I truly miss it. It's a pity I couldn't find a way to make a decent living doing it. I still have that "itch" and even tried for a couple of years to get a local station to allow me to do a Christmas Eve radio show free of charge with music from my 600+ Christmas CD collection. I did a similar show when I was at WNLS (a.k.a. - 1270 WFLA) in the mid-90's and it was a big hit. Whereas local stations do play some Christmas music (and at least one station going 24-hour Christmas music) their playlists are sorely limited. There is a huge sea of great Christmas tunes that hardly get airplay. I know I'm not alone in this because I've corresponded with several people who do annual Christmas radio shows and marathons. Probably the best know is a Professor at a Wisconsin college that is known as "Dr. Christmas" (real name: Dr. Gerry Grzyb and the radio station that airs his Christmas marathon is WRST). Now whereas my 600+ Christmas CD collection may be somewhat impressive, Dr. Grzyb's collection of 78's, 45's, lp's and CD's makes mine look miniscule. Read about him at http://www.christmasreviews.com/pxdoctorc.shtml if you're interested.

Pardon me for rambling...I have only a few passions in life that get me going and music, especially Christmas music, is one of those passions.

[incidentally if anyone out there happens to be friends with any local radio station PD, pass along my sincerely passion in doing a Christmas Eve radio show with great Christmas music of many, many genres.]

My career, if you can call it that, was wonderful. I truly miss it. It's a pity I couldn't find a way to make a decent living doing it. I still have that "itch" and even tried for a couple of years to get a local station to allow me to do a Christmas Eve radio show free of charge with music from my 600+ Christmas CD collection. I did a similar show when I was at WNLS (a.k.a. - 1270 WFLA) in the mid-90's and it was a big hit. Whereas local stations do play some Christmas music (and at least one station going 24-hour Christmas music) their playlists are sorely limited. There is a huge sea of great Christmas tunes that hardly get airplay. I know I'm not alone in this because I've corresponded with several people who do annual Christmas radio shows and marathons. Probably the best know is a Professor at a Wisconsin college that is known as "Dr. Christmas" (real name: Dr. Gerry Grzyb and the radio station that airs his Christmas marathon is WRST). Now whereas my 600+ Christmas CD collection may be somewhat impressive, Dr. Grzyb's collection of 78's, 45's, lp's and CD's makes mine look miniscule. Read about him at http://www.christmasreviews.com/pxdoctorc.shtml if you're interested.

Pardon me for rambling...I have only a few passions in life that get me going and music, especially Christmas music, is one of those passions.

[incidentally if anyone out there happens to be friends with any local radio station PD, pass along my sincerely passion in doing a Christmas Eve radio show with great Christmas music of many, many genres.]

So i do do agree with you, there are many Christmas Songs out their, but many radio stations only play the most common ones on the radio year after year.

I have a question for you, does everybody on the production crew at WCTV start out as an intern there, like my boss Cameron Miller, you once said he replaced you as director one time, but was he an intern before that like i am now or what?

So i do do agree with you, there are many Christmas Songs out their, but many radio stations only play the most common ones on the radio year after year.

I have a question for you, does everybody on the production crew at WCTV start out as an intern there, like my boss Cameron Miller, you once said he replaced you as director one time, but was he an intern before that like i am now or what?

Actually most hires start out as production assistants. Interns are newsroom people usually assistant producers...mostly overnights and/or weekends. I started out as a production assistant working the studio and on master control. I believe Cameron started out similarly.

Actually most hires start out as production assistants. Interns are newsroom people usually assistant producers...mostly overnights and/or weekends. I started out as a production assistant working the studio and on master control. I believe Cameron started out similarly.

Well thanks I was curious. I haven't been given the opportunity to produce at all. Tara Hershafft and Heather Biance do that producing stuff when Im there. Then the director Jeffrey Dorsey codes it into Parker. I want to learn more about Parker so bad but they say I wont see it anywhere else, yet the newer Ignite systems are based off the old Parker System we have im told.

Well thanks I was curious. I haven't been given the opportunity to produce at all. Tara Hershafft and Heather Biance do that producing stuff when Im there. Then the director Jeffrey Dorsey codes it into Parker. I want to learn more about Parker so bad but they say I wont see it anywhere else, yet the newer Ignite systems are based off the old Parker System we have im told.

To clarify: A production assistant does not work in the newsroom. That is an "assistant producer." Duties of a production assistant can include: taking satellite feeds, dubbing spots, promos, PSA's, floor director in studio, spot-previewing programs and commercials for quality control. The assistant producer basically helps write scripts, edit video and construct & time portions of the newscast.

A lot changes from station to station and market to market. A lot changed for production assistants from the time I started when everything was analog and manual to when I left when most everything was digital and computer-controlled. For example, when I started, there were three production assistants working in studio during newscasts (2 on cameras and one running teleprompter) and today there's only one that basically gives hand cues and countdowns to the talent.

To clarify: A production assistant does not work in the newsroom. That is an "assistant producer." Duties of a production assistant can include: taking satellite feeds, dubbing spots, promos, PSA's, floor director in studio, spot-previewing programs and commercials for quality control. The assistant producer basically helps write scripts, edit video and construct & time portions of the newscast.

A lot changes from station to station and market to market. A lot changed for production assistants from the time I started when everything was analog and manual to when I left when most everything was digital and computer-controlled. For example, when I started, there were three production assistants working in studio during newscasts (2 on cameras and one running teleprompter) and today there's only one that basically gives hand cues and countdowns to the talent.

I have done the floor-directing during different blocks of the shows. I think I do a wonderful job at it, as long as my boss tells me when to standby, countdown, and cue the anchors on time.

Archived