TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DirectTv doesn't even have any of our locals in HD yet, but they told me that they plan on starting the HD in December, seems a long way off to me. :o

Getting off subject here for a moment, but if anyone's interested (especially those that have Direct TV or know of friends that might), Channel 11 from Texas is broadcasting on Direct TV channel 361 (between Fox News and The Weather Channel) continuing coverage of Hurricane Ike's approach and landfall. For those that may remember Dr. Neil Frank, he's on that station. I remember seeing Neil Frank when I lived in South Florida. Also, speaking of The Weather Channel, Stephanie Abrams (used to do mornings on WTXL) is still there.

You're welcome on The Doctors info. by the way!

Great news: The Tallahassee-Thomasville-Valdosta DMA moved up 3 places this year from #108 to #105. Myrtle Beach-Florence is one above us and Lincoln-Hastings, NE is one spot below us. That's a pretty good jump when it comes to the DMA rankings. Hopefully w/in the next 5 years or so we can break into the top 100 markets....those markets count a little more, but it's really the top 50 markets that control the market.

Here's a list of the dma rankings in FL:

Tampa-St. Pete-Sarasota #13 (same as last year)

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale #16 (same as last year)

Orlando-Daytona-Melbourne #19 (same as last year)

West Palm-Ft. Pierce #38 (same as last year)

Jax-Brunswick GA #47 (up from #49 last year)

Pensacola-Mobile-Ft. Walton #60 (up from #61 last year)

Ft. Myers-Naples #62 (up from #63 last year)

Tally-T'ville-Valdosta #105 (up from #108 last year)

Panama City #151 (up from #154 last year)

Gainesville #160 (up from #162 last year)

Regional DMA rankings:

Atlanta #8

B'ham-Tuscaloosa-Anniston #40

New Orleans #53

Jackson, MS #90

Baton Rouge #95

Savannah #96

Charleston, SC #99

Augusta, GA #115

Montgomery-Selma #118

Macon #122

Columbus-Opelika-Auburn #128

Albany #147

Dothan #172

Here's the full list for your own fun.

Here's my favorite "clickable" USA DMA map

*Just an interesting note: In FL the markets NORTH of I-4 collectively gained 11 spots will the markets along or south of I-4 gained only 1 spot.

Great news: The Tallahassee-Thomasville-Valdosta DMA moved up 3 places this year from #108 to #105. Myrtle Beach-Florence is one above us and Lincoln-Hastings, NE is one spot below us. That's a pretty good jump when it comes to the DMA rankings. Hopefully w/in the next 5 years or so we can break into the top 100 markets....those markets count a little more, but it's really the top 50 markets that control the market.

Here's a list of the dma rankings in FL:

Tampa-St. Pete-Sarasota #13 (same as last year)

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale #16 (same as last year)

Orlando-Daytona-Melbourne #19 (same as last year)

West Palm-Ft. Pierce #38 (same as last year)

Jax-Brunswick GA #47 (up from #49 last year)

Pensacola-Mobile-Ft. Walton #60 (up from #61 last year)

Ft. Myers-Naples #62 (up from #63 last year)

Tally-T'ville-Valdosta #105 (up from #108 last year)

Panama City #151 (up from #154 last year)

Gainesville #160 (up from #162 last year)

Regional DMA rankings:

Atlanta #8

New Orleans #53

Jackson, MS #90

Baton Rouge #95

Savannah #96

Charleston, SC #99

Augusta, GA #115

Montgomery-Selma #118

Macon #122

Albany #147

Dothan #172

Here's the full list for your own fun.

Here's my favorite "clickable" USA DMA map

*Just an interesting note: In FL the markets NORTH of I-4 collectively gained 11 spots will the markets along or south of I-4 gained only 1 spot.

Getting bigger every year. Now we just need to move up 104 more places and TLH will be the top market, but I doubt that would happen.

Regional DMA rankings:

Atlanta #8

New Orleans #53

Jackson, MS #90

Baton Rouge #95

Savannah #96

Charleston, SC #99

Augusta, GA #115

Montgomery-Selma #118

Macon #122

Albany #147

Dothan #172

aww, you list "regional" markets around the southeast but didn't include the North Carolina ones. Shame on you. :P

Charlotte, NC #24

Raleigh-Durham #27

Greensboro-H Point - Winston-Salem #46

Does anyone know what's up at WTXL? They have an opening for a news anchor listed on their Web site, and also a news director. It says Keith Wheeler is the ND, but another source says he's not the ND there anymore.

Do they continue to struggle with finding good anchors and a competent news director?

Pistol Pete

Does anyone know what's up at WTXL? They have an opening for a news anchor listed on their Web site, and also a news director. It says Keith Wheeler is the ND, but another source says he's not the ND there anymore.

Do they continue to struggle with finding good anchors and a competent news director?

Pistol Pete

I believe they do. Back when I used to work for 40, I do remember the same thing, especially when Steve Rollison left and Richelle Ridgeway took over. By the way, speaking to some long time 27 people at the time, they told me that the station hasn't had a good news director since Doug Crary left back around 98 (I could be off on the year). Every news director that has come in (not including GM's that filled in) have sucked. They don't know how to run the operation and enjoy cutting costs left and right. Which brings me to my next point....

Did anyone catch 27's Noon show today? At the end of the show, Brandon Beyer was on set. He was minus a tie, his jacket and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. I believe he did have a mic on or was holding one. Dave Priem mentioned that their was going to be a big announcement tomorrow on Sunrise. Then, the show ended.

My hunches are this:

1) Brandon is leaving, hence them looking for an anchor.

2) Dave is leaving.

3) Anchors are going to be shifted around

4) A new news director will be introduced.

5) An employee is getting married

6) Brandon's going to propose to his girlfriend

7) Calkins is selling the station (I hope they do!)

8) Ridgeway is coming back (God, have mercy on 27 if that happens)

So, if anyone can catch tomorrow's Sunrise show, let me know. I'm going to stick a tape in the VCR to record it (that is, if I don't forget!)

I believe they do. Back when I used to work for 40, I do remember the same thing, especially when Steve Rollison left and Richelle Ridgeway took over. By the way, speaking to some long time 27 people at the time, they told me that the station hasn't had a good news director since Doug Crary left back around 98 (I could be off on the year). Every news director that has come in (not including GM's that filled in) have sucked. They don't know how to run the operation and enjoy cutting costs left and right. Which brings me to my next point....

Did anyone catch 27's Noon show today? At the end of the show, Brandon Beyer was on set. He was minus a tie, his jacket and his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. I believe he did have a mic on or was holding one. Dave Priem mentioned that their was going to be a big announcement tomorrow on Sunrise. Then, the show ended.

My hunches are this:

1) Brandon is leaving, hence them looking for an anchor.

2) Dave is leaving.

3) Anchors are going to be shifted around

4) A new news director will be introduced.

5) An employee is getting married

6) Brandon's going to propose to his girlfriend

7) Calkins is selling the station (I hope they do!)

8) Ridgeway is coming back (God, have mercy on 27 if that happens)

So, if anyone can catch tomorrow's Sunrise show, let me know. I'm going to stick a tape in the VCR to record it (that is, if I don't forget!)

Or they're giving up and dropping the news division altogether.

Then there will be much rejoicing at WCTV.

Heh....

Or they're giving up and dropping the news division altogether.

Then there will be much rejoicing at WCTV.

Heh....

I sure hope not, I like WCTV having competition, it gives the station something to keep up with. Ive always said that WCTV is way ahead of WTXL, but WTXL is really closing the gap every day, and getting better too.

aww, you list "regional" markets around the southeast but didn't include the North Carolina ones. Shame on you. :P

Charlotte, NC #24

Raleigh-Durham #27

Greensboro-H Point - Winston-Salem #46

Sorry 'bout that bhNC, just had the Deep South Markets on my mind. Hey where's the love for the smaller NC markets? Asheville, Greenville and Wilmington? :)

Yes awds, what was the big announcement? I'm saying it was your #1 or possibly your #2 reason.

WTXL has all the jazzy equipment etc which is a great step in the right direction, now they just need to work on their news delivery and getting their personalities better known throughout the market like WCTV. Of course w/all the comings and goings there especially w/the new directors (like you guys are saying) this isn't helping accomplish that goal.

Any news on what the big announcement was?

I recorded it and the announcement was today was Brandon's last day with WTXL. He had been there since 2005. He was at 27 when it was in the 40 building. Just think, back then his co-anchor was Shonda Knight. He survived 3 news director's (Rollison, Ridgeway, and whomever the person is now, not counting fill-ins). He's going west. However, he's not going out to California. I think they said he's going over one or two time zones but, I forget what state. Maybe Wikipedia will update it somewhere on down the line.

I guess we can also say that Todd Morrill is gone for good now since we don't see him anymore. Then again, he could be on a long vacation. By the way, Wiki is also listing that Sean Smith is now at a different station.

Thanks for the 411 DXV1. Sad everything we know about WTXL comes from Wiki. :( I've not seen Morrill there either in a long time, but until Wiki says he's gone, I'll ASSume he's still around.

I've got a hunch that Priem may not be w/us too much longer.

Priem will probably leave after he graduates from FSU. I'm not sure how much longer he has there. Anyone hear why the current news director is leaving?

By the way, has McCall been back on air? I haven't watched 6 lately.

Priem will probably leave after he graduates from FSU. I'm not sure how much longer he has there. Anyone hear why the current news director is leaving?

By the way, has McCall been back on air? I haven't watched 6 lately.

Yes McCall has been back doing wx segments on the regular schedule for a while now, when he isn't there for the weekday 5-11 PM shows, Sheena will be there instead. I watch more of channel 6 and 49 than I do 27.

OK, I just went over to wtxl's page on wikipedia. They now update it as Todd Morrill is no longer with the station. So, that is the reason why he's not there. Now, get this. They list Nancy as no longer being there. Now, I don't remember ever hearing that she was leaving so, I don't know if this is true or not. I don't remember hearing anything yesterday that she was leaving. Did anyone hear anything on this or did someone put up misinformation about her?

Interesting DXV1. Looks like they've been listening to us. :) Here's the updated WTXL page that contains the new personalities. Finally they've got a picture of Lenita on there and yes Morrill is gone from there too. However Dignon is still on their page, but so is Brandon??

WTXL

I sure hope Wiki is wrong about Dignon. She's probably the most recognizable personality WTXL has got. Newscaster recognition is something I think they desperately need to help them out and losing Dignon would be a huge blow to them IMHO.

Nancy is still there , she was just on TV .

Yeah, I noticed that too. They didn't mention anything about her leaving either. More than likely, someone moved things around on the wiki page about 27 (anyone can). I did notice Brandon on the bio page as well. However, did you see that they've removed everything about him being on Sunrise? I guess he's going to finish up with the station as a reporter. At least it preps him for whatever station he goes to next. Is it me or has Abbey improved on reporting?

I'm pretty close with quite a few people at WTXL and here's the deal.

-Nancy is indeed leaving WTXL. Her last day is tomorrow. (Sept. 26)

-Rex Hodge has been moved to morning anchor. He'll be joining Lenita. I think we can pretty much say he's on his way out.

-Dave Priem is still there... FOR NOW. (More to come.)

-Todd Morrill is gone. His contract was not renewed.

-Sean Smith and Don Harrigan were let go back in July I believe.

-From what I heard, Cassanova Nurse will be coming back as WTXL's Chief Met.

-The ND is still there until they find a replacement for him. From what I heard the guy was just plain incompetent and that's why he's on his way out.

Great info. JustME.

I'm real sorry to see Nancy go. Like I stated before, she's probably the most recognized newscaster at WTXL. While WTXL now has some great technology and a new studio, they need market brand recognition. This can partly be achieved by consistent and recognizable anchors. WCTV while shuffling around their news reporters and 3rd string guys, their 1st string is always recognizable to many in the area. You know, Frank, Julie, Mike, Art etc.

Is Nancy just retiring from wx-casting, but still staying in the area to continue teaching?

Really Cassanova Nurse? I believe he's in Houston right now? I always liked him especially on that Halloween morning when he did the wx in drag. :)

Priem graduates this spring, that's what it says on his profile. Do you think he'll stay around until them?

Archived