TallyVision

Florida

I'll be sorry to see Nancy go too. She's the only recognizable anchor there and she's good. Gives McCall a run for the money. I always disliked Cassanova--stupid name and boring personality. He'll fit right in with the others there. I hear lots of money issues and an agenda by the gm. Looks like they are folding the news operation.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be sorry to see Nancy go too. She's the only recognizable anchor there and she's good. Gives McCall a run for the money. I always disliked Cassanova--stupid name and boring personality. He'll fit right in with the others there. I hear lots of money issues and an agenda by the gm. Looks like they are folding the news operation.

To answer another question I saw on the forum here, I believe Nancy will keep the teaching job. She has stability with that and she'll be able to retire from that later on without worry. Plus, she has job security unless TCC decides to house clean, which is doubtful. Does she teach at FSU too? I've heard she does. Cass would be better on the mornings since he's well suited there as he was when he was there with Shonda. Rex going to mornings probably just put everyone to sleep. Don't be surprised to see them take Brandon's bio off of their site as well, unless they're keeping him on there until they hire another anchor. Sean's at WBAL (according to wiki). If its money issues, well then, Calkins bit off more than they could chew. Going automated was a bad idea. They should run a station like a REAL station does, have all positions covered. Not have multiple people do different things and not give them extra money for it. Also, Dorsett & Nancy had great chemistry too. That will be missed.

To answer another question I saw on the forum here, I believe Nancy will keep the teaching job. She has stability with that and she'll be able to retire from that later on without worry. Plus, she has job security unless TCC decides to house clean, which is doubtful. Does she teach at FSU too? I've heard she does. Cass would be better on the mornings since he's well suited there as he was when he was there with Shonda. Rex going to mornings probably just put everyone to sleep. Don't be surprised to see them take Brandon's bio off of their site as well, unless they're keeping him on there until they hire another anchor. Sean's at WBAL (according to wiki). If its money issues, well then, Calkins bit off more than they could chew. Going automated was a bad idea. They should run a station like a REAL station does, have all positions covered. Not have multiple people do different things and not give them extra money for it. Also, Dorsett & Nancy had great chemistry too. That will be missed.

I think Nancy does teach at FSU.

From what I hear, Lauren E. will be flying solo on the 6 & 11. As a matter of fact, if you look at the Fan guides for FSU football, on the WTXL page, you'll see that Lauren E. is the only person pictured as the anchor of the 6 & 11, and those guides were printed back in June. Brandon is supposedly leaving in October. He's going to Oklahoma City I think. What station, I don't know. I think them going automated was a good thing. I think it really elevated their on air look. If you look at Calkins, they have more issues at the other stations, mainly Huntsville, which is just plain crappy and Sarasota which fired a ton of people a little while. At a time like this, I'm sure they are having money issues. I'm sure WCTV is as well. I had a friend who worked there and she and some others got laid off about a month after she started.

I think Nancy does teach at FSU.

From what I hear, Lauren E. will be flying solo on the 6 & 11. As a matter of fact, if you look at the Fan guides for FSU football, on the WTXL page, you'll see that Lauren E. is the only person pictured as the anchor of the 6 & 11, and those guides were printed back in June. Brandon is supposedly leaving in October. He's going to Oklahoma City I think. What station, I don't know. I think them going automated was a good thing. I think it really elevated their on air look. If you look at Calkins, they have more issues at the other stations, mainly Huntsville, which is just plain crappy and Sarasota which fired a ton of people a little while. At a time like this, I'm sure they are having money issues. I'm sure WCTV is as well. I had a friend who worked there and she and some others got laid off about a month after she started.

Old college roommate of mine does remember seeing Nancy's name as teaching a class at FSU. I heard Brandon was leaving at the end of the month. I think its next week sometime. Or it could be like you said, October. Well, since we know this, does anyone think that Dorsett, Brad, Rebecca & Abbey will be the next to go? And have they hired anyone to fill Sean Smith's place yet?

By the way, I see video of Nancy is on Youtube.

Has anyone else heard that the Democrat is considering doing a web-based streaming video type of daily news program with periodic updates throughout the day? They've apparently spoken to several current news people about joining them in this new venture. They want to cover news, sports, weather, traffic, etc. I know they've been using their new roving live camera recently to cover different events.

Has anyone else heard that the Democrat is considering doing a web-based streaming video type of daily news program with periodic updates throughout the day? They've apparently spoken to several current news people about joining them in this new venture. They want to cover news, sports, weather, traffic, etc. I know they've been using their new roving live camera recently to cover different events.

When are they planning on doing this and what personalities (current or old) have been talked about?

^ This is second-hand information (aka the RRM) so I don't have that specific information. I'll see if I can learn more from my friend that does business with the Democrat. He did say he heard the names Dave Priem & Don Harrigan as possibilities for weather. He has heard conversations on this topic the past couple of times he's been in their building on business.

Did they do Nancy's goodbye on Friday?

Nancy Dignon's leaving 27?

I noticed WTXL's makeover of their website and now it looks distinctively different from WWSB's. However they still have people featured on their newsteam page who have left. Apparently no one's updating it regularly.

http://www.wtxl.com/Global/category.asp?C=104257

Nancy Dignon's leaving 27?

I noticed WTXL's makeover of their website and now it looks distinctively different from WWSB's. However they still have people featured on their newsteam page who have left. Apparently no one's updating it regularly.

http://www.wtxl.com/Global/category.asp?C=104257

Yeah, I've noticed that too. By the way, I tried to register for the Halloween Horror Nights contest and it says that you need to create an account with their website to do anything. I'm not a fan of that. If someone wants to register for a contest, they shouldn't have to create an account for a it.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. By the way, I tried to register for the Halloween Horror Nights contest and it says that you need to create an account with their website to do anything. I'm not a fan of that. If someone wants to register for a contest, they shouldn't have to create an account for a it.

I wonder if someone at WTXL is reading this discussion group because a day after I made my post about their website and the "meet the news team" portion, it was finally updated removing some bios. Answered my question about Nancy Dignon. It doesn't look particularly good for WTXL's future if they can't get some new faces that will grab and retain viewers. Is the WWSB connection what is driving talent away from WTXL? If WWSB still has direct involvement with WTXL will they sent up replacements from Sarasota or from WAAY? Will they hire from outside the company? Time will tell.

BONUS:

Found this online just posted on KOCO, Oklahoma City:

http://www.koco.com/news/17584368/detail.html

OKLAHOMA CITY -- KOCO-5 is pleased to announce Anita Blanton will join co-anchor John Flick and meteorologist Sarah Libby on Eyewitness News 5 in the Morning, weekdays 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. and Brandon Beyer will join co-anchor JiaoJiao Shen on Eyewitness News 5 in the Morning, weekends from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. Anita comes to KOCO 5 from WRIC, the ABC affiliate in Richmond, VA. Brandon comes to KOCO 5 from WTXL, the ABC affiliate in Tallahassee, FL.

Anita is a Texas native and began her broadcast career in Texas, with stops in Abilene and Waco. She is a graduate of the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications at Hampton University. Throughout her broadcast career, Anita has been recognized for her active community service supporting many organizations including Big Brothers and Big Sisters, and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

"I can't wait to say 'Good Morning Oklahoma' for the first time," said Anita Blanton. "It's such a pleasure to join the Eyewitness News 5 team in their commitment to excellence each day. I've heard so much about the wonderful Oklahoma City community and I look forward to being a part of it. It will be a joy to meet and embrace the warm and friendly people I hear so much about," said Anita Blanton.

Brandon is a Kansas City native and holds a Bachelors degree in Mass Communications from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, TX and a Master's Degree in Media Management from Central Michigan University. He was honored by the Florida Associated Press for his reporting in 2007.

"Having grown up in the Midwest and going to school nearby in Wichita Falls, Oklahoma City feels like a homecoming for me," said Brandon Beyer.

"Both Anita and Brandon are happy to return to the heartland, where they are at home with the values news viewers expect. We look forward to welcoming them to our team," said Stephanie Croswait, News Director.

In addition, evening anchor and reporter Maggie Carlo will be leaving Eyewitness News 5 after 3 years to join her husband Brent in Chicago. Maggie's last day will be October 15.

"This was a very difficult decision, but one I needed to make for my family," said Maggie Carlo. "My time with KOCO 5 has been wonderful and it's been an honor to share the stories of so many Oklahomans over the years. I am grateful for the opportunity I've had to serve this community."

"We hate to see Maggie leave, but support her need to reunite with her husband and to get their family together in one place. She has been a joy to work with," said Brent Hensley, KOCO 5 President and General Manager.

Eyewitness News 5 Anchor Paul Folger will join co-anchor Jessica Schambach, Chief Meteorologist Rick Mitchell and Sports Director Mark Rodgers on the 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts.

"Moving forward I'm confident and thrilled to have Paul Folger and Jessica Schambach together on the anchor desk. They are both dynamic, hard-working journalists that more and more Oklahomans have grown to trust," said Brent Hensley, President and General Manager.

I wonder if someone at WTXL is reading this discussion group because a day after I made my post about their website and the "meet the news team" portion, it was finally updated removing some bios. Answered my question about Nancy Dignon. It doesn't look particularly good for WTXL's future if they can't get some new faces that will grab and retain viewers. Is the WWSB connection what is driving talent away from WTXL? If WWSB still has direct involvement with WTXL will they sent up replacements from Sarasota or from WAAY? Will they hire from outside the company? Time will tell.

BONUS:

Found this online just posted on KOCO, Oklahoma City:

http://www.koco.com/news/17584368/detail.html

OKLAHOMA CITY -- KOCO-5 is pleased to announce Anita Blanton will join co-anchor John Flick and meteorologist Sarah Libby on Eyewitness News 5 in the Morning, weekdays 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. and Brandon Beyer will join co-anchor JiaoJiao Shen on Eyewitness News 5 in the Morning, weekends from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. Anita comes to KOCO 5 from WRIC, the ABC affiliate in Richmond, VA. Brandon comes to KOCO 5 from WTXL, the ABC affiliate in Tallahassee, FL.

Anita is a Texas native and began her broadcast career in Texas, with stops in Abilene and Waco. She is a graduate of the Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications at Hampton University. Throughout her broadcast career, Anita has been recognized for her active community service supporting many organizations including Big Brothers and Big Sisters, and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

"I can't wait to say 'Good Morning Oklahoma' for the first time," said Anita Blanton. "It's such a pleasure to join the Eyewitness News 5 team in their commitment to excellence each day. I've heard so much about the wonderful Oklahoma City community and I look forward to being a part of it. It will be a joy to meet and embrace the warm and friendly people I hear so much about," said Anita Blanton.

Brandon is a Kansas City native and holds a Bachelors degree in Mass Communications from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, TX and a Master's Degree in Media Management from Central Michigan University. He was honored by the Florida Associated Press for his reporting in 2007.

"Having grown up in the Midwest and going to school nearby in Wichita Falls, Oklahoma City feels like a homecoming for me," said Brandon Beyer.

"Both Anita and Brandon are happy to return to the heartland, where they are at home with the values news viewers expect. We look forward to welcoming them to our team," said Stephanie Croswait, News Director.

In addition, evening anchor and reporter Maggie Carlo will be leaving Eyewitness News 5 after 3 years to join her husband Brent in Chicago. Maggie's last day will be October 15.

"This was a very difficult decision, but one I needed to make for my family," said Maggie Carlo. "My time with KOCO 5 has been wonderful and it's been an honor to share the stories of so many Oklahomans over the years. I am grateful for the opportunity I've had to serve this community."

"We hate to see Maggie leave, but support her need to reunite with her husband and to get their family together in one place. She has been a joy to work with," said Brent Hensley, KOCO 5 President and General Manager.

Eyewitness News 5 Anchor Paul Folger will join co-anchor Jessica Schambach, Chief Meteorologist Rick Mitchell and Sports Director Mark Rodgers on the 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts.

"Moving forward I'm confident and thrilled to have Paul Folger and Jessica Schambach together on the anchor desk. They are both dynamic, hard-working journalists that more and more Oklahomans have grown to trust," said Brent Hensley, President and General Manager.

WTXL is taking their time it looks like in updating their website. I guess they want to tease everyone by saying certain people are still there. Did anyone see what kind of a goodbye Nancy got on Friday? I remember back in the day when they used to run tribute's to people leaving (i.e. Steve Ring-both times he left, Myra Munroe, Tammy Robiconti, James Jackson, Tom Siler, Patricia Scott to name some). I guess they don't do that anymore. Hey, I did check over on Wiki before I had dinner and WTXL's page was updated with Brandon under the Past Personalities section. However, where he was going wasn't listed yet. By the way, did anyone catch the 6:30 show last night? Dave did the weather and he had a newer opening for it and no mention of Jason Adams. Hmmmm. By the way, thanks Beaukeboom for that info. on Brandon.

Hey DXV1 above you wrote Patricia Scott. Was there someone at WTXL there by that name or did you mean Preston Scott? If you meant Preston, that is too too funny man. :lol:

Thanks for the info B'boom. I can see where Brandon being from KC that he'd enjoy OKC. Even though he'll being doing weekend mornings, OKC is ranked 45 which is quite a jump from 105.

I did not see the Nancy send off. I am shocked that it wasn't a fanfare. It should have been unless Nancy requested it not to be?

Good grief even to an average viewer like myself, it's obvious that WTXL has management/owner problems. Now that they've got the new technical stuff, I think it would be in the best interest of the station to find new owners. What do you guys think?

I'm curious, who do you think does all updates on Wiki for WTXL?

I was also curious about our market only having 3 newscast and possibly losing WTXL. I looked at the market just above ours #104 Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC and all the big 4 networks have local news in their market. CBS and FOX do share newscast in their market much like here.

In the market just below us #106 Lincoln/Hastings, NE it's an odd situation. First even though that market has about the same population as ours, in land size it's humongous. It stretches from the SD border down into Kansas and over to the CO border. Lincoln has local news only on ABC and CBS. However they have no NBC or FOX affiliate. They get both these networks from Omaha which is only 59 miles away.

Hey DXV1 above you wrote Patricia Scott. Was there someone at WTXL there by that name or did you mean Preston Scott? If you meant Preston, that is too too funny man. :lol:

Thanks for the info B'boom. I can see where Brandon being from KC that he'd enjoy OKC. Even though he'll being doing weekend mornings, OKC is ranked 45 which is quite a jump from 105.

I did not see the Nancy send off. I am shocked that it wasn't a fanfare. It should have been unless Nancy requested it not to be?

Good grief even to an average viewer like myself, it's obvious that WTXL has management/owner problems. Now that they've got the new technical stuff, I think it would be in the best interest of the station to find new owners. What do you guys think?

I'm curious, who do you think does all updates on Wiki for WTXL?

I was also curious about our market only having 3 newscast and possibly losing WTXL. I looked at the market just above ours #104 Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC and all the big 4 networks have local news in their market. CBS and FOX do share newscast in their market much like here.

In the market just below us #106 Lincoln/Hastings, NE it's an odd situation. First even though that market has about the same population as ours, in land size it's humongous. It stretches from the SD border down into Kansas and over to the CO border. Lincoln has local news only on ABC and CBS. However they have no NBC or FOX affiliate. They get both these networks from Omaha which is only 59 miles away.

Yeah, their was an anchor by the name of Patricia Scott at WTXL. She was there back around 1997. She's listed on wtxl's wiki page. She co-anchored with Steve Ring. She's going by Sierra Scott now. My dad saw Nancy's send off. It wasn't big. Just a small little goodbye. I went out at 6 and thought she'd be back on for the 11 but, Jason Adams did weather instead. I wanted to see if she'd do the 11. She did the same thing Tom Siler did back when he left. Both of their last shows were the 6. I believe anyone can do the updates on Wiki for 27. As a matter of fact, you can just about edit any page that's on there.

Nancy said goodbye at the end of the 5 and that was it. She didn't do weather on the 6. A friend of mine is good friends with her and got a reference check from Weather Channel. So excited for her...there's really no reason to watch WTXL anymore. The best show on tv was their 5 o'clock show. Nancy and Lauren were so funny together. Oh well, now I have a new drinking game. Every time Elise stumbles, we drink. Haven't been sober yet! :lol:

Nancy said goodbye at the end of the 5 and that was it. She didn't do weather on the 6. A friend of mine is good friends with her and got a reference check from Weather Channel. So excited for her...there's really no reason to watch WTXL anymore. The best show on tv was their 5 o'clock show. Nancy and Lauren were so funny together. Oh well, now I have a new drinking game. Every time Elise stumbles, we drink. Haven't been sober yet! :lol:

Damn, I should have left on Friday at 6 instead of actually 5 minutes before. I would have been able to catch that. Weather Channel huh? She'll join Stephanie Abrams there. Now, how does this affect her teaching at TCC? You probably would have favored a lot better in your drinking game had you watched Rick Boone years ago.

Damn, I should have left on Friday at 6 instead of actually 5 minutes before. I would have been able to catch that. Weather Channel huh? She'll join Stephanie Abrams there. Now, how does this affect her teaching at TCC? You probably would have favored a lot better in your drinking game had you watched Rick Boone years ago.

Unless she's planning on retiring or going into some other employment completely, it probably won't affect her position at TCC other than it will give her more time for preparations and grading.

Being new to this whole blog thing, I'm afraid I clicked on the wrong item.

I meant for this entry - to go right here in TallyVision -

"WTXL can be a great station - and will eventually get there.

While I was less than excited about the studio's move to Gadsden County,

the station certainly needed a new base of operation. My lack of excitement

had more to do with personal reasons - than anything really legit.

The transition period at WFSU was pretty tense/intense. New managers

and tight little spaces (no home turf at all) frayed a lot of relationships. I

think Richelle was trying really hard, but it came down to having no experience

in the market - and a fairly abrasive personality. Those things can really make it

difficult to effectively lead in a newsroom.

I don't know Rex - but the Laurens and Anita are actually very strong

news gatherers. James Jackson was a very good reporter and I expect to

see more from him down the line."

I still hold by that. I used to work at WTXL and at WCTV. I've read a lot

of complaining out of a lot of people here. Much of it's correct, however - much of

it's just moaning. It's more challenging to make good TV than most people realize.

Now I'm the editor of a newspaper in New Smyrna Beach, FL. The paper's called

The Observer. We serve a community of about 100,000 people, just south of

Daytona Beach. I still apply the same principals I stuck with on television.

The out-of-state owners of the paper shut her down in June. I spent the summer

reviving The Observer, generating local funding sources. The people now have their

paper back. I'm once again the editor. If you want to know who I am, Google - the Observer,

throw-in New Smyrna for good measure.

I think you guys make a lot of good points - keep it up, hopefully someone's listening.

Sincerely,

PrintGuy

Being new to this whole blog thing, I'm afraid I clicked on the wrong item.

I meant for this entry - to go right here in TallyVision -

"WTXL can be a great station - and will eventually get there.

While I was less than excited about the studio's move to Gadsden County,

the station certainly needed a new base of operation. My lack of excitement

had more to do with personal reasons - than anything really legit.

The transition period at WFSU was pretty tense/intense. New managers

and tight little spaces (no home turf at all) frayed a lot of relationships. I

think Richelle was trying really hard, but it came down to having no experience

in the market - and a fairly abrasive personality. Those things can really make it

difficult to effectively lead in a newsroom.

I don't know Rex - but the Laurens and Anita are actually very strong

news gatherers. James Jackson was a very good reporter and I expect to

see more from him down the line."

I still hold by that. I used to work at WTXL and at WCTV. I've read a lot

of complaining out of a lot of people here. Much of it's correct, however - much of

it's just moaning. It's more challenging to make good TV than most people realize.

Now I'm the editor of a newspaper in New Smyrna Beach, FL. The paper's called

The Observer. We serve a community of about 100,000 people, just south of

Daytona Beach. I still apply the same principals I stuck with on television.

The out-of-state owners of the paper shut her down in June. I spent the summer

reviving The Observer, generating local funding sources. The people now have their

paper back. I'm once again the editor. If you want to know who I am, Google - the Observer,

throw-in New Smyrna for good measure.

I think you guys make a lot of good points - keep it up, hopefully someone's listening.

Sincerely,

PrintGuy

You do make some good points in your post. Thanks for the vote of confidence. We hope to hear more from you as someone that worked at both WTXL & WCTV. I do miss James Jackson by the way.

I was just over looking at WTXL's website and noticed a couple of things on the bio page. First, Casanova's profile is not up yet even though he started today. Second, Rex is just listed now as an anchor/reporter and their is no mention of him anchoring at night or Sunrise. I also noticed on their job page that they are advertising for an AM Meteorologist and a News Anchor. Anyone want to take suggestions as to who is leaving? I say Dave Priem & Lauren Dorsett. Why you might ask? They've been their the longest.

Archived