TallyVision

Florida

You mean this commercial ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72avIJ4wd6c

I think they have good ideas for their commercials and they make good commercials, but not all are good, some are just "fair" in ranking by me.

And I've even seen a few myspace profiles of some well known 27 Anchors/Reporters myself

Amanda Anderson ... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=62287841

Dave Priem ... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=51143092

I'm not sure how I feel about those two profiles!! :D Especially Amanda's "If I fall behind its because I like to chase!"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably. Hey, that's their motto and saying, "That's how we do it in Sarasota." Ah, this isn't Sarasota. This is Tallahassee (or Midway to be exact). When you walk out of their building in Sarasota (I've never been there myself) they've said that you can see the ocean across the street. In Midway, you walk out and see the Frito Lay company across the street. Big difference.

I have been to their building in Sarasota. You can't see the ocean anywhere nearby. You can see a rundown industrial section with several emplty buildings. Somewhat of a crime area and not safe after dark. They have high security fence surrrounding the employee parking lot and the receptionist is behind bullet resistant glass. The door to the building interior from the lobby is also heavy glass.

The reason why I was there about a year ago? I applied for a job at WTXL for a master control/hub operator position and their "training" was to be in Sarasota. Within a few days, every single promise they made (such as the training only lasting a few weeks) was broken. Also I was offered a middle-management type position at a small Christian station here in Tallahassee. I was told it was a real offer so I accepted and drove back to Tallahassee (unfortunately the guy who promised me the job did a 180 a couple days later telling me they couldn't hire me after all). I was glad to leave Sarasota. Most of what I saw of the city was along the Tamiami trail (they put me up in a rundown Days Inn near the hospital on Tamiami Trail and eventually made me pay for it). If the city is nicer than what I witnessed, I didn't see it. And my first impression was Sarasota sucks. I may be wrong but I don't think I'll be going back ever to find out. In short, my brief period of time being employed by Southern Media was a nightmare.

One quick extra note: the "equipment" they wanted to me to train on for an indefinite period of time was the exact same computer system I used at WCTV for the prior 3 years and the day I sat in at their master control, the computer locked up (a glitch in the system we'd successfully dealt with that no one at the manufacturer could ever fix -- we figured an effective workaround) and they panicked. I tried to tell them the workaround but in their eyes I was just a "trainee" who knew nothing. When things finally calmed down, I told the engineer they called in what the workaround we'd been using at WCTV and the engineer was surprised I knew of such a thing. I explained to him that I'd been working with that exact system for 3 years and that glitch is inherent in that system and no one's been able to fix it. He was amused that WWSB management didn't take into account that I was already an experience vet on that system and didn't need any training. In fact, I knew more about it than they did.

But hearing the tales of WWSB, I am now not surprised that it was and probably still is such a cluster-f*** there. Even though it extended my unemployment for many more months, something felt wrong in my gut the moment I got there. I guess my instincts were right.

I have been to their building in Sarasota. You can't see the ocean anywhere nearby. You can see a rundown industrial section with several emplty buildings. Somewhat of a crime area and not safe after dark. They have high security fence surrrounding the employee parking lot and the receptionist is behind bullet resistant glass. The door to the building interior from the lobby is also heavy glass.

The reason why I was there about a year ago? I applied for a job at WTXL for a master control/hub operator position and their "training" was to be in Sarasota. Within a few days, every single promise they made (such as the training only lasting a few weeks) was broken. Also I was offered a middle-management type position at a small Christian station here in Tallahassee. I was told it was a real offer so I accepted and drove back to Tallahassee (unfortunately the guy who promised me the job did a 180 a couple days later telling me they couldn't hire me after all). I was glad to leave Sarasota. Most of what I saw of the city was along the Tamiami trail (they put me up in a rundown Days Inn near the hospital on Tamiami Trail and eventually made me pay for it). If the city is nicer than what I witnessed, I didn't see it. And my first impression was Sarasota sucks. I may be wrong but I don't think I'll be going back ever to find out. In short, my brief period of time being employed by Southern Media was a nightmare.

One quick extra note: the "equipment" they wanted to me to train on for an indefinite period of time was the exact same computer system I used at WCTV for the prior 3 years and the day I sat in at their master control, the computer locked up (a glitch in the system we'd successfully dealt with that no one at the manufacturer could ever fix -- we figured an effective workaround) and they panicked. I tried to tell them the workaround but in their eyes I was just a "trainee" who knew nothing. When things finally calmed down, I told the engineer they called in what the workaround we'd been using at WCTV and the engineer was surprised I knew of such a thing. I explained to him that I'd been working with that exact system for 3 years and that glitch is inherent in that system and no one's been able to fix it. He was amused that WWSB management didn't take into account that I was already an experience vet on that system and didn't need any training. In fact, I knew more about it than they did.

But hearing the tales of WWSB, I am now not surprised that is was and probably still is such a cluster-f*** there. Even though it extended my unemployment for many more months, something felt wrong in my gut the moment I got there. I guess my instincts were right.

I was at WCTV's studio and they had glass, is it even bulletproof? Could somebody just walk in in the middle of the newscast? Do they even lock the double doors that go into the reception area & those that go into the studio hallways? Im not even sure? Its hard to tell if they were.

I was at WCTV's studio and they had glass, is it even bulletproof? Could somebody just walk in in the middle of the newscast? Do they even lock the double doors that go into the reception area & those that go into the studio hallways? Im not even sure? Its hard to tell if they were.

The glass, when I was there, was resistant to breakage, but not bulletproof. The doors leadning to the lobby and from the lobby into the building are locked and require a Sonitrol card to open after hours.

But hearing the tales of WWSB, I am now not surprised that it was and probably still is such a cluster-f*** there. Even though it extended my unemployment for many more months, something felt wrong in my gut the moment I got there. I guess my instincts were right.

Beukeboom, funny you mentioned that. That reminds me of things I heard from some of the PA's that were at 27 after they relocated to WFSU. Majority of them were my "moles" that I had give me details on the operation. I remember that 27 sent Lauren Dorsett and a couple of producers down to Sarasota for training. From what I recall, they put them in a nice hotel. It may have been that Days Inn you mentioned. They did have to pay for their rooms and had to submit receipts to be reimbursed. Not sure if they did. One director was sent down to train and mentioned to them that he knew the equpment already and wound up written up for it. They said it was "insubordination." I say it was B.S. Who was the engineer down there when you went? Was it a guy that looked like the guy that played the dad on Webster? He thought he knew everything. He didn't. Yes, WWSB or Southern or Calkins or whatever they want to call themselves went on a "write up" rampage like you wouldn't believe. You'd be written up for sneezing during the wrong time :lol: . I would hate to move down to Sarasota and experience what you went through.

I did hear that they were going to put the bullet proof glass at the new building in Midway here but, didn't. I'm happy that you didn't take the job with 27 after going through that.

I'm not sure how I feel about those two profiles!! :D Especially Amanda's "If I fall behind its because I like to chase!"

I have seen those 2 profiles on myspace. Amanda needs to quit drinking because she's getting to big for the TV. I've also seen these profiles for other 27 on-air: Rebecca Baer, Sean Smith, Lauren Elise, Valerie Lacy (even though she's not at 27 anymore). By the way, where did Valerie end up?

A few well known people at WCTV have profiles on Myspace too. Such as Rob Nucatola, he's the man at WCTV that makes up for the lack of energy and happiness. And a few more.

Rob Nucatola http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=41647356

Ray Hawthorne http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=25328348

Angela Salerno http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=48166986

Shonda Knight http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=185296457

A few well known people at WCTV have profiles on Myspace too. Such as Rob Nucatola, he's the man at WCTV that makes up for the lack of energy and happiness. And a few more. [url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41647356]

I must really agree with you on this one. Since day 1, this guy has been full of life. We're lucky to have him on our local news.

Beukeboom, funny you mentioned that. That reminds me of things I heard from some of the PA's that were at 27 after they relocated to WFSU. Majority of them were my "moles" that I had give me details on the operation. I remember that 27 sent Lauren Dorsett and a couple of producers down to Sarasota for training. From what I recall, they put them in a nice hotel. It may have been that Days Inn you mentioned. They did have to pay for their rooms and had to submit receipts to be reimbursed. Not sure if they did. One director was sent down to train and mentioned to them that he knew the equpment already and wound up written up for it. They said it was "insubordination." I say it was B.S. Who was the engineer down there when you went? Was it a guy that looked like the guy that played the dad on Webster? He thought he knew everything. He didn't. Yes, WWSB or Southern or Calkins or whatever they want to call themselves went on a "write up" rampage like you wouldn't believe. You'd be written up for sneezing during the wrong time :lol: . I would hate to move down to Sarasota and experience what you went through.

I did hear that they were going to put the bullet proof glass at the new building in Midway here but, didn't. I'm happy that you didn't take the job with 27 after going through that.

The Days Inn on Tamiami Trail south of WWSB was where they put me up and it wasn't nice. I can say it wasn't the ratnest like the motel my wife and I stayed overnight in Perry back in 86 but not much better. It was across a sidestreet from a little shopping center with a grocery store and a drugstore that we walked to for groceries (my wife went with me there since she was on break from teaching part time at TCC -- however we were so broke at the time that we brought our own food in a cooler -- balogna and day-old bread).

As I said, I had a gut feeling that this was a bad decision and it proved to be 100% true.

A couple of examples of the broken promises:

First, I was told the training wouldn't last more than 2-3 weeks. When I got there they told me about 2 months. Then 4 months. An engineer overheard the last one and told me in confidence that they were actually planning on keeping me there indefinitely. Then they told me they were going to put me to work and a "fill in" MC op. That was NOT why I came down there. I didn't agree to come to Sarasota to work for WWSB.

Second: They told me there were going to house me in a vacation condo owned by the station manager. They told me it was very nice. Then they told me my room wasn't furnished yet (that's why they stuck me in motel hell) but not to worry, they ordered funiture that they would pay for and it was being delivered the next day. No delivery. Okay, the next day it would be delivered they told me. No delivery. Finally they came clean the day before I left telling me if I wanted something to sleep in in the condo (by the way, it was a decrepid two-story townhouse in a bad neighborhood) I'd have to buy it myself. The room I was to take...forced upon me...had no furniture, no light...nothing. I'd have to buy them myself. Also any cooking utensils I had to buy myself. Keep in mind I was utterly broke at the time.

I could go on and on about broken promises on salarly, work hours, word days, overtime, duties, transportation, etc.

As far as I am concerned those folks who lied to me are the scum of the earth and frankly until they sell 27 to some other company and perhaps fire all the scum, I hope they go down the toilet in a BIG way.

Can you tell I somewhat still bitter over that?

I must really agree with you on this one. Since day 1, this guy has been full of life. We're lucky to have him on our local news.

Let me brag on Nucatola...I sincerely believe that he has enough energy to do the weather AND run on a treadmill to power the entire city. He's an outstanding meteorologist and a very cool guy to work with.

My greatest fear concerning Rob when I worked with him? Being around him if he ever drank espresso (I don't think he does or ever did but just imagine what a caffeine rush would be like with him -- scary thought).

Mike, Rob and Ray were fantastic to work with. Great guys and true professionals. Ray started at WCTV while in training when he was at FSU. I remember how green he was when he was doing mock forecasts. He's developed extremely well over the years. All three of them are consumate professionals.

One amusing story about Mike McCall back when we were on County Rd 12.

One summer evening a line of thunderstorms were moving eastward towards the station and to practice my videography, I grabbed a tripod and the spare camera we kept in the newsroom and set it up in the field next to the satellite dishes. Mike, Jon Reddick, James Ward and a couple of others came out with me and we watched the skies for the lightning show. Mike was like a kid at a fireworks show. He was "ooohing" and "ahhing" and got very excited with all the spectacular lightning going on. It was just as much fun watching his reactions as the lightning itself. Needless to say I got some outstanding footage which I edited (including some extreme-slo-mo of one particularly spectacular strike that in real time looked like 2 flashes but in slo-mo revealed about 6-7 flashes) and Mike used that night in the 11pm weather. My first on-air credit. Cool.

Anyway, I can say in all honesty that my 10 years at WCTV were wonderful and I miss working there and with all those folks.

Let me brag on Nucatola...I sincerely believe that he has enough energy to do the weather AND run on a treadmill to power the entire city. He's an outstanding meteorologist and a very cool guy to work with.

My greatest fear concerning Rob when I worked with him? Being around him if he ever drank espresso (I don't think he does or ever did but just imagine what a caffeine rush would be like with him -- scary thought).

Mike, Rob and Ray were fantastic to work with. Great guys and true professionals. Ray started at WCTV while in training when he was at FSU. I remember how green he was when he was doing mock forecasts. He's developed extremely well over the years. All three of them are consumate professionals.

One amusing story about Mike McCall back when we were on County Rd 12.

One summer evening a line of thunderstorms were moving eastward towards the station and to practice my videography, I grabbed a tripod and the spare camera we kept in the newsroom and set it up in the field next to the satellite dishes. Mike, Jon Reddick, James Ward and a couple of others came out with me and we watched the skies for the lightning show. Mike was like a kid at a fireworks show. He was "ooohing" and "ahhing" and got very excited with all the spectacular lightning going on. It was just as much fun watching his reactions as the lightning itself. Needless to say I got some outstanding footage which I edited (including some extreme-slo-mo of one particularly spectacular strike that in real time looked like 2 flashes but in slo-mo revealed about 6-7 flashes) and Mike used that night in the 11pm weather. My first on-air credit. Cool.

Anyway, I can say in all honesty that my 10 years at WCTV were wonderful and I miss working there and with all those folks.

Rob Nucatola having a major caffeine/espresso rush? What an unimaginable scenario!

Alex DiPrato, a reporter and weekend anchor at WTXL-27-ABC in Tallahassee (Market #109), has been hired as a reporter at Lin flagship WPRI-12-CBS in Providence (Market #52).

When is AD supposed to be leaving ABC 27? I noticed that he's still with them.

(OK - I think I posted this somewhere else in Urban Planet. Now everyone thinks I'm a fool. Muhahaha). I'll get the hang of this...

---------

A good friend of mine forwarded me to this site a little while back. I glanced through some of the threads, and it's fascinating to see the thoughts of those on the "outside looking in". Though, based on sum of knowledge accumulated on this board, it would be difficult for me to characterize anyone here as an "outsider". Heck, even I learned quite a lot! You're all hard-core! I like it!

Of course, I will defer to my extremely capable colleague and friend (a.k.a. Mike) with providing details about the "business aspect" of things, but I'd be happy to answer any questions related to the equipment (i.e. weather graphics, forecast models, techniques) that we use, the doppler radar, weather-related stuff on the web site, my thoughts on any approaching storms, etc. My specialty is in the science aspect of things and I've seen that come up in several of the posts.

For now, though, I'm very tired. I just got back from a mini-technical conference in Columbia, SC, where I presented an analysis of radar and model data from the tornadoes that struck Capitola and Keaton Beach a few weeks back (perhaps I will post this to our web site, but it is technical). I also had the opportunity to listen to some other fine speakers give talks about techniques they've used/discovered in various weather situations -- many of which are applicable in our area. Also- had the chance to meet Jim Gandy, who is an FSU meteorology alum and is the chief meteorologist at the CBS affiliate in Columbia. We had a great conversation about trends in the business and things that we are doing and can do in the future to improve the dissemination of critical weather information through different mediums. I really had a good time.

Thanks for the opportunity to serve. (And thank goodness I have today -- Friday -- off. That trip really took a lot out of me).

-Ray

Ray Hawthorne

Meteorologist

WCTV-TV, Tallahassee, FL

Archived