TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WX%20Staff%201990s.jpg

Top Row: Douglas Kennedy (who - I think - works for the National Weather Service somewhere now), Andy Johnson, Paul Dellegatto, Roney Sorenson (computer engineer - long gone somewhere), and yours truly (with a lot darker hair and about 15 fewer pounds)

Bottom Row: Theresa Varga (married the VP of the one of the big weather graphics companies, out of the tv wx biz now), Roy Leep (retired and living in N. Tampa somewhere I think), and Howard Shapiro.

That pic must be from about 1991. I started there in '88 and came to WCTV in '93.

Lots of stress working there at times, but all well worth it. Thanks for the memories!

Mike

--

I find it funny that people jump to conclusions all the time and assume stuff. Ganbusters12, whoever you may be, go blow it out your ass! No, I am not the one that you outed months ago. Good guess though. The truth hurts doesn't it? Enjoy working for 27? I think I know who you are. Are you one of Richelle's buddies?

Richelle Ridgeway is now a producer at Bay News 9 in Tampa.

The person you mentioned is not a disgruntled employee. 27 never showed him recognition for anything. You guys are number 2 and always will be. Look at the high turnover rate at your station. Great job letting everyone go that was good. Joe does hold the record of working 291 days straight without a day off. That record will stand and never be broken by anyone. Yet, he never even got a thank you from management. I guess according to some, he was a know it all there. I hope you had your fun taking advantage of him while he worked there. He always said 2 people should run cg and audio but, no! No one ever wanted to listen to him. Granted, the same thing happened when 27 relocated to WFSU for a time. However, it wasn't just him by then. Other PA's that ran cg, ran prompter while a producer changed the cg's. That became permanent with Richelle after a reporter, who was a PA at the time, suggested that the prompter op should do more than just run prompter. Well, now a better job came calling for him. A place where you get recognition for doing good things. Now, he'll be getting raises, better benefits and a better pension than some measely old tv station.

I find it funny that people jump to conclusions all the time and assume stuff. Ganbusters12, whoever you may be, go blow it out your ass! Yes, I am the one that you outed months ago. Let me say that you suffer from a sorry lack of *alls. The truth hurts doesn't it? Enjoy working for 27? I think I know who you are. Are you one of Richelle's buddies?

Richelle Ridgeway is now a producer at Bay News 9 in Tampa.

I'm not a disgruntled employee. 27 never showed me recognition for anything. You guys are number 2 and always will be. Look at the high turnover rate at your station. Great job letting everyone go that was good. Yours truly holds the record of working 291 days straight without a day off. That record will stand and never be broken by anyone. Yet, I never even got a thank you from management. Only 1 person at 27 has thanked me for that and you know who you are. Some past employees have thanked me. Actually, a lot of past employees have thanked me. I guess according to some, I was a know it all there. I hope you had your fun taking advantage of me there. I always said 2 people should run cg and audio but, no! No one ever wanted to listen to me. Well, now a better job came calling. It was TMH. A place where you get recognition for doing good things. Now, I can get raises, better benefits and a better pension than some measely old tv station. With the exception of certain people that are still at 27, the station can go to straight to hell!

You must not be happy with WTXL.

220px-183042_G.gif

You must not be happy with WTXL.

220px-183042_G.gif

I'm not and I know he's not. If you look at the post I modified, I did come clean on it. I was throwing ganbusters12 a loop by saying what you replied with. I did know the person they outted. I did enjoy working with him. He was a good person and I learned a lot from him when I first started out and was training with him while I was an intern before they hired me. He was the first to congratulate me when I was hired. I'll have to return the favor to him one day if our paths ever cross again. By the way, he doesn't work at TMH, its TCH. I saw him there and tried to catch up to him but, he went into an employee only area and I left.

The Days Inn on Tamiami Trail south of WWSB was where they put me up and it wasn't nice. I can say it wasn't the ratnest like the motel my wife and I stayed overnight in Perry back in 86 but not much better. It was across a sidestreet from a little shopping center with a grocery store and a drugstore that we walked to for groceries (my wife went with me there since she was on break from teaching part time at TCC -- however we were so broke at the time that we brought our own food in a cooler -- balogna and day-old bread).

As I said, I had a gut feeling that this was a bad decision and it proved to be 100% true.

A couple of examples of the broken promises:

First, I was told the training wouldn't last more than 2-3 weeks. When I got there they told me about 2 months. Then 4 months. An engineer overheard the last one and told me in confidence that they were actually planning on keeping me there indefinitely. Then they told me they were going to put me to work and a "fill in" MC op. That was NOT why I came down there. I didn't agree to come to Sarasota to work for WWSB.

Second: They told me there were going to house me in a vacation condo owned by the station manager. They told me it was very nice. Then they told me my room wasn't furnished yet (that's why they stuck me in motel hell) but not to worry, they ordered funiture that they would pay for and it was being delivered the next day. No delivery. Okay, the next day it would be delivered they told me. No delivery. Finally they came clean the day before I left telling me if I wanted something to sleep in in the condo (by the way, it was a decrepid two-story townhouse in a bad neighborhood) I'd have to buy it myself. The room I was to take...forced upon me...had no furniture, no light...nothing. I'd have to buy them myself. Also any cooking utensils I had to buy myself. Keep in mind I was utterly broke at the time.

I could go on and on about broken promises on salarly, work hours, word days, overtime, duties, transportation, etc.

As far as I am concerned those folks who lied to me are the scum of the earth and frankly until they sell 27 to some other company and perhaps fire all the scum, I hope they go down the toilet in a BIG way.

Can you tell I somewhat still bitter over that?

That's interesting. I remember listening in on some of the meetings 27 had when they were in the 40 building, especially when the Calkins people where in town. They did promise 27 with a lot of new equipment, cars, sat trucks, live trucks, etc. Never happened. Raises would be coming for 27. Never happened. Manny Calvo even mentioned that "if you don't like working here, Burger King is hiring." That was like a shot in the arm. Some of us who heard that were shocked to here him say that. This coming from the GM of the WWSB station. I never liked there ops manager, Jason Wildestein. He acted like he knew everything and always said, "The production guys here helping you work for me." Then, they would try and correct stuff that would make the final product look like crap.

Let me brag on Nucatola...I sincerely believe that he has enough energy to do the weather AND run on a treadmill to power the entire city. He's an outstanding meteorologist and a very cool guy to work with.

My greatest fear concerning Rob when I worked with him? Being around him if he ever drank espresso (I don't think he does or ever did but just imagine what a caffeine rush would be like with him -- scary thought).

Mike, Rob and Ray were fantastic to work with. Great guys and true professionals. Ray started at WCTV while in training when he was at FSU. I remember how green he was when he was doing mock forecasts. He's developed extremely well over the years. All three of them are consumate professionals.

One amusing story about Mike McCall back when we were on County Rd 12.

One summer evening a line of thunderstorms were moving eastward towards the station and to practice my videography, I grabbed a tripod and the spare camera we kept in the newsroom and set it up in the field next to the satellite dishes. Mike, Jon Reddick, James Ward and a couple of others came out with me and we watched the skies for the lightning show. Mike was like a kid at a fireworks show. He was "ooohing" and "ahhing" and got very excited with all the spectacular lightning going on. It was just as much fun watching his reactions as the lightning itself. Needless to say I got some outstanding footage which I edited (including some extreme-slo-mo of one particularly spectacular strike that in real time looked like 2 flashes but in slo-mo revealed about 6-7 flashes) and Mike used that night in the 11pm weather. My first on-air credit. Cool.

Anyway, I can say in all honesty that my 10 years at WCTV were wonderful and I miss working there and with all those folks.

Does James Ward to still work there? I worked with him back in 95. His brother works there too doesn't he.

I noticed that over the weekend (while he was stumbling terribly over this one segment of the news). I hate to see him leave, but I thought he'd already left!

Off camera Alex has an attitude problem and rarely smiles at anyone. Not only that, he would wear Brandon's ties without his permission, use Dave Priem's hair gel without asking, etc. Brandon and Dave did get back at Alex for that. They went through his change drawer and bought the entire morning crew sodas.

I'm not and I know he's not. If you look at the post I modified, I did come clean on it. I was throwing ganbusters12 a loop by saying what you replied with. I did know the person they outted. I did enjoy working with him. He was a good person and I learned a lot from him when I first started out and was training with him while I was an intern before they hired me. He was the first to congratulate me when I was hired. I'll have to return the favor to him one day if our paths ever cross again. By the way, he doesn't work at TMH, its TCH. I saw him there and tried to catch up to him but, he went into an employee only area and I left.

Welcome back after a long hiatus. Hopefully, we'll see you more on here. I liked that you threw that ganbusters12 person a loop. That's cool!

Off camera Alex has an attitude problem and rarely smiles at anyone. Not only that, he would wear Brandon's ties without his permission, use Dave Priem's hair gel without asking, etc. Brandon and Dave did get back at Alex for that. They went through his change drawer and bought the entire morning crew sodas.

Thats alot of change to buy everyone a Coke. Im assuming they didn't buy him one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thats alot of change to buy everyone a Coke. Im assuming they didn't buy him one. :)

No, he got stale crackers. Also, back when they were at WFSU, he wore a woman's shirt to do an in studio. Yes, he wore Richelle's shirt because his shirt had a stain on it. I doubt he'll be doing that in Providence. Now, he can complain that its too cold. :D

I miss Mancow on the radio in the mornings on the way into work. Say, does anyone know what 27's record is for their softball team.

Joe does work at TMH. I ran into him there earlier this afternoon as I was visiting a friend in the hospital. Maybe you're thinking of another Joe.

No, he got stale crackers. Also, back when they were at WFSU, he wore a woman's shirt to do an in studio. Yes, he wore Richelle's shirt because his shirt had a stain on it. I doubt he'll be doing that in Providence. Now, he can complain that its too cold. :D

I miss Mancow on the radio in the mornings on the way into work. Say, does anyone know what 27's record is for their softball team.

He may have complained about the cold up there already :lol: . I would have

You must work at WTXL. One of the engineers showed me around at the Midway station back in January. Bigger place than what I'd expected.

Now that she has been here for a while, Im curious what you all think of Angela Howard? I liked Jennifer Ryan a lot, but I also think that she is doing a great job. She seems to be a good fit for Lee, and it also seems she has "livened" him up a little bit.

She's not as good as Jennifer Ryan, but she is doing a wonderful job.

Now that she has been here for a while, Im curious what you all think of Angela Howard? I liked Jennifer Ryan a lot, but I also think that she is doing a great job. She seems to be a good fit for Lee, and it also seems she has "livened" him up a little bit.

I've been out of town a lot, so I've not watched her that much, but from what I've seen, I like her. I'm curious to know approximately how old do you think she is? I ask b/c sometimes to me she looks extremely young..say under 25...then at other times she looks more around 30ish. I bet McCall knows! He can probably recite everyone's age and birthdays at the station. :)

Good to hear she is livening up ole Lee, he sure could use it.

Jennifer Ryan was good, but in the beginning she was a little shaky mainly b/c of lack of experience. I'm sure A. Howard will improve in time too. WCTV tends to be the training grounds for good broadcasters.

^ I agree, and a reporter that is doing very well for herself is Lauren Kadechka (Im sure I botched the spelling of her name). She was top notch, and is now their top story reporter at WINK in Ft Myers. We always see her when we go down to Boca to fish. I think Andrea Candrian is doing a fine job a WCTV right now, she seems to have "it."

^You can't call it Boca........only Boca Raton can be referred to as Boca only...don't you know that? :) Besides doesn't your Boca botch it's last name and use the English pronounciation and not the Spanish one as in GRAND and not GRANDE?

I've always wondered since I've not watch much TV in the Ft Myers market, do they refer to that station as WINK or just say every letter individually like we do for WCTV?

Is Andrea the Live at 5 gal?

^You can't call it Boca........only Boca Raton can be referred to as Boca only...don't you know that? :) Besides doesn't your Boca botch it's last name and use the English pronounciation and not the Spanish one as in GRAND and not GRANDE?

I've always wondered since I've not watch much TV in the Ft Myers market, do they refer to that station as WINK or just say every letter individually like we do for WCTV?

Is Andrea the Live at 5 gal?

Yes, they call it GRAND. Its Spanglish :)

You know, Im not sure if she does "Live at Five." Im rarely home from work early enough to catch that half hour.

Edit: Its actually Angela Solerno that anchors live at 5, via their website

Yes, they call it GRAND. Its Spanglish :)

You know, Im not sure if she does "Live at Five." Im rarely home from work early enough to catch that half hour.

Edit: Its actually Angela Solerno that anchors live at 5, via their website

Remember its Angela Salerno

and not Angela Solerno

I can easily make mistakes just as well as corrections. :thumbsup:

Angela in my opinion does a wonderful job at her current place in the evening newscasts. Whenever I was at WCTV back in mid January, I got to watch the 5 PM Show from the studio and the control room(I was standing by the little Celebrity Chef set the whole time watching the show in Studio B). She had stumbled over a few things but I think she is one of the best they have there, and were in a small TV Market so its not that big of a deal as it would be in larger scale DMA's. Like most broadcast journalists, I think she'll get better.

And seeing and meeting so many familiar faces from TV was interesting. Mike McCall showed me the Megawatt Doppler System and up until that time I had always assumed that the different functions on the Million Watt Radar (such as the sector/section scan) had to be controlled from a huge switchboard or something that was near the radar tower itself. He showed me that its all computerized though, I'd never thought that controlling it from a desktop computer in the Pinpoint Weather Center/Studio A was possible.

Alot of things were there that Ive always been interested in. It was a visit well worth it.

Archived