• Created
  • Last Reply

WCTV's Nice New Graphics

Southeast_Satellite_Radar_full.jpg

WFTX's Use of WXC Graphics

flsatrad.jpg

NBC's national map

national_radar_640x480.jpg

I like WCTV's graphics more than the other two in CapeFish's post, especially the part that says "Clouds and Rain" along the top. What I have a problem with is the font used for the City labels, and the absence of some sort of circle or point to mark the actual location of that city. The City Label font is too thick, which makes the screen look cluttered. Also, where is Ocala in this picture? If you're going to label Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa, you might as well add Ocala. What criteria is used for putting cities on weather maps?

I like WCTV's graphics more than the other two in CapeFish's post, especially the part that says "Clouds and Rain" along the top. What I have a problem with is the font used for the City labels, and the absence of some sort of circle or point to mark the actual location of that city. The City Label font is too thick, which makes the screen look cluttered. Also, where is Ocala in this picture? If you're going to label Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa, you might as well add Ocala. What criteria is used for putting cities on weather maps?

You dont want to clutter the map too much. The cities are there for general points of reference, not actual locations. Thats why most stations dont use the actual "dot." If you know where Ocala is, you know its south of Gainesville. Otherwise, when do you stop adding cities?

Besides, are you one of the U.S. Americans who cannot find cities on a map such as the Tallahassee and the Ocala? ^_^

You dont want to clutter the map too much. The cities are there for general points of reference, not actual locations. Thats why most stations dont use the actual "dot." If you know where Ocala is, you know its south of Gainesville. Otherwise, when do you stop adding cities?

Besides, are you one of the U.S. Americans who cannot find cities on a map such as the Tallahassee and the Ocala? ^_^

Well the map is already cluttered, so my thinking is, if you're going to clutter it, you might as well give everyone some playtime.

The same Ocala > Gainesville thing could be applied to Pensacola > Tallahassee > Jax. I think the marking is important because on the WCTV map its hard to see if the referenced city is north or south of the text. Take Tallahassee for instance, we are clearly north of that text, but one who is unfamiliar wouldn't know this if only given this map as a guide.

As you can see from the map below, sometimes knowing exactly where you are is important. There can be conditions around you that don't necessarily affect your area, but such broad coverage may suggest otherwise. Under conditions such as those illustrated, I say it's important to know exactly where Gainesville is. It's not as easy to visually pinpoint cities in the interior peninsula of the state. Give me a blank map, of Florida and I'll misplace Orlando just about every time.

flsatrad.jpg

Well the map is already cluttered, so my thinking is, if you're going to clutter it, you might as well give everyone some playtime.

The same Ocala > Gainesville thing could be applied to Pensacola > Tallahassee > Jax. I think the marking is important because on the WCTV map its hard to see if the referenced city is north or south of the text. Take Tallahassee for instance, we are clearly north of that text, but one who is unfamiliar wouldn't know this if only given this map as a guide.

As you can see from the map below, sometimes knowing exactly where you are is important. There can be conditions around you that don't necessarily affect your area, but such broad coverage may suggest otherwise. Under conditions such as those illustrated, I say it's important to know exactly where Gainesville is. It's not as easy to visually pinpoint cities in the interior peninsula of the state. Give me a blank map, of Florida and I'll misplace Orlando just about every time.

flsatrad.jpg

i think people generally understand that the actual location is in the middle of the road. Mike doesnt really need to give every one playtime, as the only towns that really matter to him are the ones in the viewing area.

The satellite picture referenced is a statewide satellite view. Im sure the meterologist could zoom in to a more regional view if they wanted to, and the city's may appear then. If you really need to know where each and every city is in Florida, I think weather.com has a tool you can use, but it can become entirely to cluttered if you zoom in.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...eMapLayer=radar

Either way, the new graphic are still the best of the 2 stations, in my opinion. Good job Mike!

The U.S. Americans quote was a dig at Ms. South Carolina, but c'mon FLA, you dont know where Orlando is on a map? :dontknow:

Mr. McCall,

Very nice work on the new weather graphics I see on WCTV.tv! It looks like y'all got a new weather computer to play with. You had a WSI Trueview (excellent...WINK down south has it in HD and it really is capable) and a Baron Radar system from what I have seen. Those new graphics look like the Weather Central system I have seen used on NBC's Weather Plus except WCTV has it really nicely tricked out! Hopefully this foreshadows a complete graphics revision by WCTV to usher in 2008.

WCTV's Nice New Graphics

Y'know Mike, I kinda miss the old "transporter tubes." I remember Reddick always wanted to add sfx to them but never did. I always assumed that he couldn't figure a way of doing it with the equipment we had at the time or Smith nixed the idea. I thought it would've been cool.

Over at WCTV, Lee Gordon made his debut last night as the "2nd String Male Anchor." I noticed that he's definitely become more polished in his delivery/persona after his stint in a much bigger market.

I like the new weather graphics Mike! I think it was a smart move to show TPA and ORL in the regional temps since many folks in this area look down-state to see what type of weather the relatives and friends are having. I will say that even though Ocala or Daytona heck even Brooksville (b/c they are one of the few in the area w/a regularly reporting station as odd as that seems) are of course not in our DMA, but showing their temps would give the appearance of linking our area better to ORL and TPA than that great empty space that shows up currently.

Kudos also to linking up w/Bay News 9 radar too even though like you said, they'll benefit more since most weather comes from the NW.

So Santa brought the McCall's a Wii? Great! I'm pretty good at the bowling, but I stink at golf especially the Tiger Woods game. You should see my 84 yr old Mother box on it! :)

Over at WCTV, Lee Gordon made his debut last night as the "2nd String Male Anchor." I noticed that he's definitely become more polished in his delivery/persona after his stint in a much bigger market.

I like the new weather graphics Mike! I think it was a smart move to show TPA and ORL in the regional temps since many folks in this area look down-state to see what type of weather the relatives and friends are having. I will say that even though Ocala or Daytona heck even Brooksville (b/c they are one of the few in the area w/a regularly reporting station as odd as that seems) are of course not in our DMA, but showing their temps would give the appearance of linking our area better to ORL and TPA than that great empty space that shows up currently.

Kudos also to linking up w/Bay News 9 radar too even though like you said, they'll benefit more since most weather comes from the NW.

So Santa brought the McCall's a Wii? Great! I'm pretty good at the bowling, but I stink at golf especially the Tiger Woods game. You should see my 84 yr old Mother box on it! :)

Sorry I don't know this, but how do you even control the Wii to start with? :dontknow:

Mike,

I noticed that with the new weather graphics, it highlights a particular town when you put your hand over it in the weather segments of the news. I have seen it do that in Orlando on WFTV before. How does it know what to highlight when you go over it in front of the chroma key wall?

OK... I saw Lee Gordon on the news last night for the first time, and honestly, it was kinda weird for me. I felt like I was going to get some sports, but instead I got the news.... I've got to get used to this.

WHY DO WCTV's people sound like ROBOTS!? They start and finish the news the same way everyday!

I just was over at the WTXL 27 web page and it looks like Lenita Williams is back at WTXL and hosting Sunrise and it says she reports for the noon and 5pm news. However it appears that Valerie Lacey (formally of WCTV) is now gone......that didn't last very long. Oddly I just saw Valerie doing the weekend news this last weekend.

What's the "skinny" on this change up WTXL employees and ex-employees? I know you're out there lurking. :)

Archived