Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

Driving in this morning... the building is nearing the height of the crane closest to the CC, however, that taller middle crane was in action on the building today. It looked as though the shorter crane was doing work on the other part of the hotel. Anyways, just thought I'd share an observation.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kitchcam, yeah right, I'm not using up what little bandwidth we have to keep a live cam ;)

The Phone is a Sony Ericsson w810i. It actually used to take better pictures before the lens cover in the case got scratched up. I really need to swap out for one of the SE phone cases that had a nice sliding lens cover. But yeah, overall, spectacular for a camera phone. Still no DSLR

• 5 weeks later...

Based on the construction camera and the last set of renderings, I believe that they have reached the roof. If you look at the renderings and see the protruding sill below the windows on the third(?) floor, there are 11 floors above the window sill (counting the floor that the window sill is on). If you look at the construction camera, 11 floors have been formed above the window sills that they are installing on the convention center side of the hotel. I don't think that this thing is getting any taller except for that center portion where the signage is located. :(

Based on the construction camera and the last set of renderings, I believe that they have reached the roof. If you look at the renderings and see the protruding sill below the windows on the third(?) floor, there are 11 floors above the window sill (counting the floor that the window sill is on). If you look at the construction camera, 11 floors have been formed above the window sills that they are installing on the convention center side of the hotel. I don't think that this thing is getting any taller except for that center portion where the signage is located. :(

I'd rather have a smaller hotel appropriate to its urban context and level of usage than a huge monstrosity that (a) sits half empty most of the time and, as a result, (b) gets progressively more shabby over time, since revenues don't justify adequate upkeep. And in any event, 10 stories isn't exactly tiny... For exhibit A on what happens when you don't maintain a hotel, look no further than its next door neighbor, now the Sheraton, which was such a wreck in terms of its basic systems (HVAC, plumbing, etc.) that the last overhaul about 5 years ago cost millions of dollars just to bring it up to the minimum standards that Sheraton would put its name on the door.

Archived