Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

Here are some pics of the Norfolk Marriott (links weren't working for me either):

mainst03-marriott.jpg

marriott02.jpg

As far as a (red) brick facade goes, here's a rendering of the proposed Hilton convention center hotel in downtown Columbia just for the sake of comparison. And although the two cities are different, Columbia's convention center hotel has managed to do well thus far even without an anchor hotel.

columbiahilton.jpg

These buildings have much more "Character"

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wake up raleigh folks, news14.com has a rendering of the marriott on their site. it's sort of a snooze fest in terms of design, but maybe its just not a good rendering.

I can't tell from the picture whether it'll look good or not. It's a box. It has a bland roof. The windows look more sunk in than before, which helps a bit. I don't see much EIFS on it. So many questions about the entrances that aren't answered.

What was the final vote?

Yes sir that does look better,but not great,does anybody know the deal on the lobby fronting fayetteville street was that resolved?

Apparently they added a Salisbury Street entrance and added a two story brick feature to house shops. Can be read here. Marriott Redo

The picture shown on NBC17's main page is really rough, so I did not post it. It does show it at night though.

5-3

N&O:

Joining West and Meeker in voting for the project were council members Jessie Taliaferro, Joyce Kekas and Philip Isley. Those opposed, in addition to Crowder, were council members Russ Stephenson and Tommy Craven.

Why would Craven vote against it? Because it was city $$ being spent on it along with the CC or did he have an issue with design? My guess is so he can say he voted against the CC and hotel because of tax money since he was not on the council that voted it in.

Archived