Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The project really seemed to jump up in the past day or so. Coming up Wilmington from MLK you get a good sense now of the footprint the building is going to have. It's now VERY visible from over the construction fences. I'm sure it will start gaining height quickly now.

• 2 weeks later...

A shot of the Marriott fro today:

2408982090098570895S600x600Q85.jpg

Basically, everything to the right of that main concrete beam is the hotel, so they are on the second floor and counting. You can look to the left and see the future ground level of Fayetteville St (see the 2 port-a-johns) and underneath, where the parking deck is U/C.

• 3 weeks later...

The renderings show a stairwell going up to the second floor along Salisbury. The rendering on the camera page shows this on the right side.

The current metal in the "south view" on the webcam is the landing for the stairs. There is a lot of sidewalk space for gathering, art, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always thought that the Atlanta Buckhead Westin (formerly Swisshotel) was a VERY nice looking hotel. On a recent trip it hit me; the rendering for the hotel's tower must have looked very similar to our dreaded Marriott. In vivo, however, the hotel tower doesn't look that bad. The base is really was sells this hotel.

buckheadwestin.JPG

marriott3_fst_2.gif

Dana, I think that's what the developers of the hotel were arguing a couple of years ago (has it been that long? :blink: )... that the street-level experience is the most crucial element and that is where the more atractive (expensive) and tactile materials are placed. I know a lot of people were pissed about the design, but I think given the risks that were present by not acting, Meeker and the majority of the council did the right thing by keeping the hotel on schedule with the RCC.

BTW, that rendering looks so funny out in the middle of a grass field or something. :D

Dana, I think that's what the developers of the hotel were arguing a couple of years ago (has it been that long? :blink: )... that the street-level experience is the most crucial element and that is where the more atractive (expensive) and tactile materials are placed. I know a lot of people were pissed about the design, but I think given the risks that were present by not acting, Meeker and the majority of the council did the right thing by keeping the hotel on schedule with the RCC.

BTW, that rendering looks so funny out in the middle of a grass field or something. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Yeah, that's what i thought too, but if you look at the renderings on the city's site, one has the bottom "pedestal" with the amount of floors not clearly defined, and 12 floors above that, and the other has 13 floors above it. Judging by the city's webcam, it looks like they've done 9 floors above the pedestal, and so that's why i think they're getting closer to completion. I may be wrong, and i sure hope I am.

So wait - they're just going to keep building until they decide "OK, that ought to just about do it?" Somebody has to know how high it's going to be. That somebody certainly isn't me, but I seem to recall 15 stories being thrown around as the final height, though I could be wrong...

Archived