Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel

ericurbanite

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree. I think there will be enough residential with the development of the other city-owned sites and that this should stick to its mission of being a convention hotel. I am hopeful that the business case and the city's vision can be reconciled into something that's architecturally more interesting than the first go-round, and that maintains a strong street focus like the more recent attempts.

Glad y'all dug that up for us. Why in the world do they need to meet at the the UDC for this? Are there some resources there that they don't have in the main Chamber? I would love to watch this meeting on TV, but as far as I'm concerned, it seems like they are ducking the cameras on this.

Yep,

It's not the EFIS that is the huge problem (they used it on the Bellagio). It's these three things:

• Roofline

• Window shape

• Lack of surface relief

They could cover that box in italian marble and it would still look like the cheap Westgate Tower.

I'll wait until we see new renderings before I move on to the next analysis of this thing. <_<

That's a depressing read. So basically we're waiting another two weeks for the slightly modified plans to show up, and once again the council will have a hard time but begrudgingly say no to it. I can almost guarantee that Mariott will make no adjustments that improve the hotel beyond the very slightest point.

Here's what we need: a good lobby, good connections to Fay street and the CC, some sort of tower shape at least more interesting than a phone book, and a roof that is more ornate than the suburban tin and stucco they're currently flirting with.

Aside from the lack of a 'cap' on the top of this thing (which apparently is too much to ask, according to the mayor), is there an objection to this?

Or is the basic/boring design enough to object to?

If it weren't in a major skyline area it wouldn't matter so much. They really will get the prime spot. So the question is whether we can stand to see something marginally better than a Super 8 sitting next to Hannover II. I'd hate for us to build an hotel we wind up tearing down in a few decades because, like the old CC, it was too lacking in foresight.

If it weren't in a major skyline area it wouldn't matter so much. They really will get the prime spot. So the question is whether we can stand to see something marginally better than a Super 8 sitting next to Hannover II. I'd hate for us to build an hotel we wind up tearing down in a few decades because, like the old CC, it was too lacking in foresight.

Very well said...

Archived