Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

As a resident of 2 years in Atlantic Station. I wish it was more like Glenwood Park in East Atlanta. The difference being that Glenwood is a local community, but AS is people from all over the Metro Area [Their SUV's in tow] who work in the office towers, and come to visit on weekends. Most of the traffic is caused by visiters who are lost. The store's lack originality. It's an open air mall/town center. I think once the Atlantic is complete in 2009 it will hopefully provide a solid residential base. The lack of creativity amongst the different buildings is dissapointing. I wish the homes were built by Hedgewood instead of Beazer, and were Earthcraft. The transition from AS to adjacent Home Park on the south is poorly planned. All the home's [including the tree canopy] are being torn down for yes, McMansions. Don't get me wrong. AS is great [compared to a suburban subdivision]. I think it need's more family's. Give it an Inman Park/Candler Park feel perhaps? Give it 3-5 years and it will clearly be the "it" place to live.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a resident of 2 years in Atlantic Station. I wish it was more like Glenwood Park in East Atlanta. The difference being that Glenwood is a local community, but AS is people from all over the Metro Area [Their SUV's in tow] who work in the office towers, and come to visit on weekends. Most of the traffic is caused by visiters who are lost. The store's lack originality. It's an open air mall/town center. I think once the Atlantic is complete in 2009 it will hopefully provide a solid residential base. The lack of creativity amongst the different buildings is dissapointing. I wish the homes were built by Hedgewood instead of Beazer, and were Earthcraft. The transition from AS to adjacent Home Park on the south is poorly planned. All the home's [including the tree canopy] are being torn down for yes, McMansions. Don't get me wrong. AS is great [compared to a suburban subdivision]. I think it need's more family's. Give it an Inman Park/Candler Park feel perhaps? Give it 3-5 years and it will clearly be the "it" place to live.

You bring up a good point. What we see at AS is in part a result of the recession that resulted in the initial development team cancelling their plans to be a part of it. Beazer and Lane are like the B-team and it was a minor miracle getting this thing off the ground at all.

And despite its archtectural flaws, AS has been a really a watershed type development for the city. Noone had ever done anything like this before on this scale. It brought some real destination retail to the heart of the city and proved to many doubters that mixed use development can work.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is the Google image of the site for Sembler's "Westside Village " which has been rumored to be in line for retailers such as Costco and Home Depot. Vehement opposition from the Home Park neighborhood association (not Midtown) might be our only hope of changing this awful strip mall.

In addition to the Sembler development, Lane is seeking rezoning for the 8 acres at the corner of Mecaslin and 16th St where the softball field is currently. They'd like to have it rezoned to build a 5-story, 300-unit luxury apartment building and a 150-unit student apartment building similar to the Flats.

arrow2zo3.png

Getting this project stopped or changed is something I think we need to rally behind. I mean, this truly is an awful suburban-style project to be plopped in the middle of a neighborhood that has a nice urban fabric.

I am going to join the Home Park residents and contact Sembler and let them have my opinion on the project. I encourage you to do the same.

Contact Info:

Sembler Atlanta Office

1450 South Johnson Ferry Road

Suite 100

Atlanta, GA 30319

Phone 404.847.1800

Fax 404.847.1818

This project is such a step back for the urbanization of Atlanta. Yeah, I understand big box retailers are expected as the city's population soars with ex-suburbanites, but there has to be some guidelines. If not, this area of town is going to end up looking like the more lacking areas of Buckhead, an "urban suburb."

This project is such a step back for the urbanization of Atlanta. Yeah, I understand big box retailers are expected as the city's population soars with ex-suburbanites, but there has to be some guidelines. If not, this area of town is going to end up looking like the more lacking areas of Buckhead, an "urban suburb."

I just spoke to a representative from Sembler who was kind enough to return my call of concerns regarding Westside Village. She was very candid about the project and gave me some wonderful news. Sembler has scrapped the original site plan completely and is in the process of redeveloping a site plan with the 14th Street rebuild project and the Lane apartment project as guides for the plan. They were not able to get the land on the SE corner where the TV station is, so they don't have a lot of land to work with. Big box retailers, including Costco, are no longer part of the plan and bringing the retail up to 14th Street is a goal for the new plan.

They said that the new plans should be ready in the first part of next year. Good news!

:thumbsup: Good deal about the Sembler project. They probably don't want any bad press as they try to get their MUCH larger Druid Hills project approved.

BOKA Powell architects has a nice rendering of a hotel/condo project at Atlantic Station. Its number 31 under their mixed use/hotel portfolio. Boka Powell

Also #29 is a study they did for Cousins' Fox Plaza site.

BOKAPowell_atlanticstationproject.jpg

:thumbsup: Good deal about the Sembler project. They probably don't want any bad press as they try to get their MUCH larger Druid Hills project approved.

BOKA Powell architects has a nice rendering of a hotel/condo project at Atlantic Station. Its number 31 under their mixed use/hotel portfolio. Boka Powell

Also #29 is a study they did for Cousins' Fox Plaza site.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the development bordering AS.

Pollack Partners has proposed a mid-rise project, around 600 residential units, on seven acres owned by the Georgia Tech Foundation at the SE corner of 16th and Mecaslin. Pollack Partners is a new company formed by the former president of Lane.

They say the project should include some retail space but its early in the process.

The design will be guided by the Home Park Neighborhood Association's master plan.

In addition to this and the Sembler retail project, the former Siemens-Westinghouse property at 17th Street and Northside Drive, was recently sold to a Houston-based investment group for an undisclosed development.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i really think that atlantic station needs better choices as far as shoppin because we have a ton of bananas old navys and gaps ithink the retail choices are boring because when H&M opens i am going to feel so sorry for the sales of the other stores

• 2 weeks later...

Archived