Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The Atlantic Station H&M is now scheduled to open on June 13.

Sembler's proposed Westside Crossing near Atlantic station has a new site plan thats about as bad as the original. Unfortunately theres may not be much the neighborhood can do about it since the site is zoned for exactly what is being proposed and the city hasn't gotten around to updated the zoning for that area. :sick: The project is supposed to begin construction this fall.

The Atlantic Station H&M is now scheduled to open on June 13.

Sembler's proposed Westside Crossing near Atlantic station has a new site plan thats about as bad as the original. Unfortunately theres may not be much the neighborhood can do about it since the site is zoned for exactly what is being proposed and the city hasn't gotten around to updated the zoning for that area. :sick: The project is supposed to begin construction this fall.

I agree except that Home Depot or whatever would go in the Sembler development probably wouldn't go on Peachtree. The Midtown Mile or whatever you want to call Midtown retail is just going to take time because a)the slowing economy has retailers being more cautious and b) thats just the nature of urban retail where each individual building has to build and market their own 5 or 6 retail spaces (as opposed being built all at once).

I'm not as urban thinking as I should be so please forgive me in advance.

Other than the "excessive" parking, what is wrong with the design of this Sembler offering? I have heard some say that the design is a bit "cheesy." When you consider the average person...not over concerned with design but rather ease and offerings, is this development that terrible. One only has to look at Sembler's Lindbergh development. Do we all remember what used to be there? Oy vey!!!!!!!!

Everythign developed is not going to be earth shattering. There will be necessary "average" joes to blend in with the Brad Pitts. Sembler will bring in retail options that might not choose another location in the area. Again, while not earth shattering in design, it will make life easier for the thousands of residents moving into the area. Over time this will be replaced by something better. Perhaps even the parking pads will become so valuable that they are developed into better uses. It takes time. I'm just glad that retail options are abounding in the west Midtown area. I can see this being like the Chelsea district for Atlanta.

Well design-wise is pretty generic but that's not my problem with it. I don't think its horrible and whatever retail goes there will certainly be a plus for intown residents.

My problem is that today there could be better uses for the site that so much surface parking. In fact one of the reasons they had to change the initial site plan was that some of the lot was aquired by other developers for residential development. Were it not for Sembler, its likely the rest of the lot would have become mixed use residential.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, got a chance to see Millenium Gate up close and in person over the weekend. It truly is a monument of the highest caliber, but still looks out of place in AS. I guess it's suppose to give the overall development a sense of legitimacy? Anyway, here are some pics I snapped with my camera phone:

MilleniumGate4.jpg

MilleniumGate2.jpg

MilleniumGate3.jpg

MilleniumGate.jpg

I still find it truly bizarre. I haven't seen it since it had barely broken ground, but I just can't imagine that it does well in the context. That said, it does look well built and would be a interesting additiona to say, Piedmont Park.

Hey everyone! Just got a moment here while I'm on vacation, but I just wanted to make a quick comment on the Millenium Gate.

I was in Atlantic Station on July 5th, the day after the monument's "Grand Opening". I managed to catch a quick view of it from the road, though I wasn't able to actually go inside it or even up to it (didn't have time). I really do like the design of it, and I do agree with krazeeboi that it is a monument "of the highest caliber" (as he put it). However, like everyone else here who has seen it or been to it, I really do think it is out of place in Atlantic Station. AS is just too "new" and modern looking for such a monument to look like it fits there.

Personally, I think it would go great in, say, Centennial Olympic Park (with many of the rest of Atlanta's tourist attractions), or Piedmont Park.

Anyways, I'll see you guys in a few days! I just managed to get ahold of the internet for a few minutes here in Jacksonville Beach.

I still find it truly bizarre. I haven't seen it since it had barely broken ground, but I just can't imagine that it does well in the context. That said, it does look well built and would be a interesting additiona to say, Piedmont Park.

Archived