Atlantic Station-Atlanta's city within a city.

ironchapman

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been visiting Atlanta Station to shop since it opened. I like the development, but one thing puzzles me. The condos above the retail area appear to me to be totally unoccupied. They have had plenty of time to finish them, but I don't see any activity in the upstairs floors. I suspect that Atlantans do not want to live directly above a busy retail district and that they have been completely unable to sell them.

It's not that people don't want to live in Atlantic Station, but with a large number of attractive condos close by in purely residential blocks, I think the housing directly above the stores and restaurants is comparatively undesirable, at least to local residents.

I don't know for a fact whether none of the condos in the retail area have sold or not, it just seems that way to me.

People might be comfortable living in apartments above a retail development, but for a permanent home that you expect to live in for several years and pay big bucks for, I would think you would want a quieter environment than shoppers, partyers, and restaurant goers directly underneath you or out your window. Since the goal of Atlantic Station is to have that kind of street life, I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.

Does anyone have any concrete information about the actual progress of condo sales in the retail district?

Personally I think professional offices: lawyers, doctors, small businessmen, etc, would be a better fit above the retail.

I have been visiting Atlanta Station to shop since it opened. I like the development, but one thing puzzles me. The condos above the retail area appear to me to be totally unoccupied. They have had plenty of time to finish them, but I don't see any activity in the upstairs floors. I suspect that Atlantans do not want to live directly above a busy retail district and that they have been completely unable to sell them.

It's not that people don't want to live in Atlantic Station, but with a large number of attractive condos close by in purely residential blocks, I think the housing directly above the stores and restaurants is comparatively undesirable, at least to local residents.

I don't know for a fact whether none of the condos in the retail area have sold or not, it just seems that way to me.

People might be comfortable living in apartments above a retail development, but for a permanent home that you expect to live in for several years and pay big bucks for, I would think you would want a quieter environment than shoppers, partyers, and restaurant goers directly underneath you or out your window. Since the goal of Atlantic Station is to have that kind of street life, I don't blame anyone for feeling that way.

Does anyone have any concrete information about the actual progress of condo sales in the retail district?

Personally I think professional offices: lawyers, doctors, small businessmen, etc, would be a better fit above the retail.

Actually I read that all but 5 or 6 for-sale units in all of Atlantic Station have been sold.

The lofts were supposed to be delivered early this year but apparently the builder keeps delaying the delivery date. According to someone that bought one of the lofts, they are now about 9 months behind schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a redering of a completed Atlantic Station? I would like to get a glance at its total potential. Thank You!

There really is no such thing as a completed Atlantic station rendering since each tower is being done according to market conditions etc. The architectural firm that planned AS has a conceptual drawing but what beens built so far is already quite different.

Heres the link to the firm's site. Look under planning.

TVSA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the love of god people I'm talking about the one in the middle of the rendering. See those FIVE tall buildings? Not twelve, not the atlantic, not the wachovia building, and not the one next to the wachovia building... the one in the middle. This shouldn't be too hard to understand. I'm not trying to be mean

For the love of god people I'm talking about the one in the middle of the rendering. See those FIVE tall buildings? Not twelve, not the atlantic, not the wachovia building, and not the one next to the wachovia building... the one in the middle. This shouldn't be too hard to understand. I'm not trying to be mean

I wonder if they'll ever tear that thing up? I realize that 60 years ago it probably seemed like a good idea, but nowadays it's just ridiculous to have have an antique suburban-style expressway interchange in the middle of a city that's struggling hard to urbanize. It's even crazier when you consider that most of the cars are just passing through.

I walked home from work on Friday and used the 5th Street bridge. I think it is going to be great when finished. It would be great if more of the bridges had this treatment. Also it would be good if more bridges were added instead of the DOT wet dream of two or three bridges with a dozen traffic lanes. I think I identified three or four streets that should have bridges across. Given that Home Park and Georgia Tech are on the west side of the connector and do not want to become a site of a great increase in pass through traffic, bridges would not be appropriate at each and every east-west street.

Capping the connector sounds good but if you drive down it with a cap in mind, you'll see that the geography along much of the connector is not suitable for such a idea. There are a couple of places that make sense to have a cap. During the LCI for the Centennial Hill area, it was suggested that a cap be put over the connector near the Medical Arts building that would connect the tiny Mayors Park on one side of the connector with a sizable patch of green space behind a church (I think St. Mark's) on the other side. The cap would be surrounded by new buldings whose value would be used to finance the cap.

Archived