Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

On 10/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Jernigan said:

Deadwords Brewing Company (OBT & Central)

AttachmentViewer.ashx?AttachmentID=89199

No new news, but OBJ confirming what you have already said. This is the site of Al's Army Store and is a pretty nice investment considering the location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/11/04/on-tap-new-downtown-orlando-area-brewery-eatery.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

5 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

No new news, but OBJ confirming what you have already said. This is the site of Al's Army Store and is a pretty nice investment considering the location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/11/04/on-tap-new-downtown-orlando-area-brewery-eatery.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

I guess this means we can’t get Chastain’s back.

http://orlandomemory.info/places/chastains-restaurant/

Edited by spenser1058

In the haste of The Greatest Mayor On The Planet to replace funky establishments on Church Street and in Ivanhoe Village with Stalinist boxes, I suppose it’s a good thing that OBT is getting another look.

Although the Wigwam Village and Chastain’s are gone, there’s still one of the larger deco Publii buildings, the Quonset hut Lovett’s, the Dickson’s Furniture building with the flying wings and a 1950’s era HoJo building that could be repurposed into interesting shops. Add to that the Parliament House and Goff’s ice cream and it has the making of a twisted milennial’s wonderland. The warehouses along the tracks  could also be pressed into service for artists and as lofts.

Best of all, most of these buildings are owned by Dr. Phillips and were constructed by the company way back when to withstand nuclear attack.

A budding hipster district, indeed, and given the tension between Buddy and his minions and Doc Phillips’ Charities, we might have something that could stick for several years to come.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:49 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

I like Mandy so I hope that works out. Tough spot there. I really want to see the plans for how this will be laid out and what they will do with the rest of it.

A few more details on her Train Depot concept Floridabilt.

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/floridabilt-downtown-orlando

• Like 1

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Its an interesting idea. She loves Orlando so hope it flows well and provides some more traffic to the area.

She does seem awesome and authentic and it's a nice concept that would be fitting  and tons of other good feel reasons why.

But to step back - did the FBC Mortgage guys (Nunziata?) fail to deliver on "MAKE ORLANDO GREAT AGAIN" or whatever they plastered up on the chain link fence with their survey link?

And is that concerning?

These guys delivered on getting Walgreens to buy in years before they might have otherwise.  I really did expect them to make something happen there.    

Maybe it's just a sign that Buddy, Thomas Chatman and the boogeyman aren't plotting against downtown retail and we just still need 12-15K more heads in the beds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

She does seem awesome and authentic and it's a nice concept that would be fitting  and tons of other good feel reasons why.

But to step back - did the FBC Mortgage guys (Nunziata?) fail to deliver on "MAKE ORLANDO GREAT AGAIN" or whatever they plastered up on the chain link fence with their survey link?

And is that concerning?

These guys delivered on getting Walgreens to buy in years before they might have otherwise.  I really did expect them to make something happen there.    

Maybe it's just a sign that Buddy, Thomas Chatman and the boogeyman aren't plotting against downtown retail and we just still need 12-15K more heads in the beds.

I think the space is just really difficult to work. The historic designation makes modifications nearly impossible. 

10 hours ago, Jernigan said:

And is that concerning?

What I hear from brokers is national tenants are mostly on pause right now. The overall economy and upcoming election is making many big companies careful about expansion. Be nice if landlords would start lowering rent to fill those spots with local concepts but a lot are going to sit on them til after election and hope things rebound for them.

Hank gets all the interesting places out his way - this time, Don Julio’s at Rio Pinar Plaza, complete with a tequila bar and a ceviche bar under the watchful eye of a familiar local chef:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/65-mexican/4948-don-julio-s-mexican-kitchen-and-tequila-bar-and-ceviche-bar

From Scott J

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:28 PM, spenser1058 said:

Hank gets all the interesting places out his way - this time, Don Julio’s at Rio Pinar Plaza, complete with a tequila bar and a ceviche bar under the watchful eye of a familiar local chef:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/65-mexican/4948-don-julio-s-mexican-kitchen-and-tequila-bar-and-ceviche-bar

From Scott J

They just opened a second location in Waterford Lakes.  I found them to be OK, but not amazing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

They just opened a second location in Waterford Lakes.  I found them to be OK, but not amazing.

Scott seems to like the Rio Pinar one better because of the chef handling the ceviche bar. Being the terrible creature of habit I am, I tend not to get much further than Maxine’s. Maybe I should wander over to Ceviche again.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott seems to like the Rio Pinar one better because of the chef handling the ceviche bar. Being the terrible creature of habit I am, I tend not to get much further than Maxine’s. Maybe I should wander over to Ceviche again.

Honestly, the last time I went that part was under construction.  I haven't been since.  He's right that it is always packed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I used to frequent Ceviche years ago, but stopped going as their quality decreased.   It's been about a year since the last time I was there.  It's not what it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1