Orlando Restaurants & Bars

Chemmie

I hope the UK Imports bode well. There was once a European fast-casual chain (the name slips my memory) in the space now occupied by Nature's Table at Lincoln Plaza along with Testa Rossa in Millenia, now occupied by Sushi Katana. The latter of which had very good quality sandwiches and espresso. A shame they may have ventured too early.

I am new to this forum, but very excited to hear about all of the new concepts coming to downtown Orlando. Especially that we will possibly get some interesting new UK imports. I am the owner of UNDERGROUND PUBLIC HOUSE which is taking over the space formerly occupied by Shakai Sushi Lounge.

Our concept is an modern American public house with an English twist (lots of draft beer options-16 to be exact, televised sports including soccer and rugby matches when available, British pub food staples, open 7 days a week from 11am-2am. We are excited to add more entertainment and culinary diversity to downtown. Our expected opening date is August 1st of this year!

Please keep posting your opinions about all of the new downtown Orlando developments!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gringos is adding a second location in the Milk District ... this sounds like a win/win to me.  MD gets a bit more diversification in their small restaurant lineup and GL gets to expand.  Everyone I've ever taken there has fallen in love with it!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/the-dish/os-gringos-locos-second-location-milk-district,0,5316369.post

Gringos is adding a second location in the Milk District ... this sounds like a win/win to me.  MD gets a bit more diversification in their small restaurant lineup and GL gets to expand.  Everyone I've ever taken there has fallen in love with it!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/blogs/the-dish/os-gringos-locos-second-location-milk-district,0,5316369.post

It used to be one of my favorites until I stopped eating meat and have been going since it was a quarter of the size it is now.  Love to see them thriving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Scott Joseph is reporting two significant bits of news for foodies today: first, it looks like John Rivers is getting into the fried chicken business in WP (Morse and Pennsylvania Avenues in the old O'Boys/East India Market spot.) Also, Twist in SoDo has closed and may be replaced by Shula Burger.

http://www.scottjosephorlando.com/

I like both of these ideas!

Barnie’s to open downtown Orlando CoffeeKitchen next month

Finally. The delay on this opening may only be surpassed (as sunshine noted on another thread today) by World of Beer in the Lee's Lakeside spot.

The story also notes that the Barnie's in Baldwin Park will be closing July 28 and most of its staff heading downtown. Any thoughts by anyone as to who's winning the competition between ersatz downtowns like BP and organically developing areas like Audubon Park/Garden District, Mills 50, etc? Other than perhaps Celebration, it doesn't really seem to be much of a contest. Interesting research topic for an aspiring Urban Econ major!
  • Like 1

Barnie’s to open downtown Orlando CoffeeKitchen next month

Finally. The delay on this opening may only be surpassed (as sunshine noted on another thread today) by World of Beer in the Lee's Lakeside spot.

The story also notes that the Barnie's in Baldwin Park will be closing July 28 and most of its staff heading downtown. Any thoughts by anyone as to who's winning the competition between ersatz downtowns like BP and organically developing areas like Audubon Park/Garden District, Mills 50, etc? Other than perhaps Celebration, it doesn't really seem to be much of a contest. Interesting research topic for an aspiring Urban Econ major!

Saw an interesting presentation about that very subject (Audobon Park and Mills 50 thriving while nearby Baldwin Park's "downtown" can't seem to gain traction). A lot of discussion about the importance of organic growth. It's also important to note that Baldwin Park is more of a giant subdivision than an actual urban neighborhood. You can't easily drive through Baldwin Park to get to another part of town. I think that really limits the customer base for businesses in its town center.

I went to the Basement (Corner of Pine and Magnolia) Grand Opening last night and had a good time.  It was pretty busy there and there is a sandwich shop in there called CHI PHI which serves Chicago and Philadelphia style sandwiches.  They provided free samples of their bites.  I am a vegetarian so I just had their cheese fries which were really good but my guests had the Philly Cheesesteaks and Pulled pork sandwiches and said they were good as well.  A former UCF Alumni that was involved in Terrace 390 is a partner in the Chi Phi operations.

A "Coming Soon" sign is up in SoDo for Cousins Subs. Next door, Twist! Asian Fusion will be closing and replaced by Shula Burgers (spinoff from Don Shula steakhouse).

East Coast Wings and Grill will be going in the former South Orange home of OBoys and Taqueria Del Sol. One of a dozen or so franchises of the North Carolina chain brought down by the Magics Quentin Richardson

Alfonso's Pizza, which closed up on South Orange and Gatlin due to the building owner not booking up to sewer after septic broke, is reopening in August in College Park - where Scruffy Murphy's was.

Interesting. My initial reaction is, "wash rinse repeat" but always hope it works out.

LYMMO expansion is underway construction should be done by the spring. This should boost business for restaurants along the line as employees can get back and forth easily without having to drive or walk in the rainy/hot days.

• Like 1

Interesting. My initial reaction is, "wash rinse repeat" but always hope it works out.

LYMMO expansion is underway construction should be done by the spring. This should boost business for restaurants along the line as employees can get back and forth easily without having to drive or walk in the rainy/hot days.

"wash rinse repeat" is perfect! I give them six months tops. One fine day in the future (perhaps after DPAC opens - I'm somewhat skeptical, but I do see it as a possibility), the downtown condos will replace under-30 renters with older buyers who desire more upscale eating places. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon (right now, the bars downtown are geared for younger folks, there's no place to shop downtown other than Publix and, in a little bit of research I did recently which I'll address on another thread one day, most of the members of the downtown churches are older folks who don't live downtown except those on fixed incomes in the retirement towers.) While Buddy has paid lip service to changing that, DPAC is so far the only thing City Hall is trying to do that may change the demographic calculus. Meanwhile, as confirmation, which places in Thornton Park are successful? Wildside, Graffiti Junktion, Mucho and Anthony's. The interesting exception is CityFish, where Craig Ustler, Phil Rampy and company did something perfect - they made the vibe as casual as possible but, um, ramped up the quality of the menu items. It's not surprising they unlocked the secret given their history with the neighborhood. Meanwhile, even HUE fell to the current realities of the neighborhood (and yes, I have lived here off and on since 1986) - I look forward to seeing what they come up with for that space. The real shame is that the Sanctuary spaces would have been perfect for retail (they're basic square boxes). As we know from Publix, which continues to perform above plan 5 years after opening, there is pent-up demand for retail, but, just like Publix, it won't arrive by itself. Until the city decides to bring in true retail experts who know how to show that the market exists and to prime the pump as required to get retailers to make the leap, there's not going to be a change in the paradigm.

Got a flyer in the mail for the grand opening of Lotus Bar and Honey Restaurant in that aura space below 101 eola bldg.

Lotuslounges.com

Honeyorlando.com

Actually these are going into the Sanctuary in the recently vacated Prickly Pear and Nick's Italian Kitchen spaces. They are both targeting 30+ age group.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2013/07/new-restaurantlounge-concepts-to.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sad to hear that, always enjoyed going to Eternal Tap and even had my birthday there in August. But it never picked up and they seemed to have "big ideas" that they were focused on that weren't realistic, mostly in the separation of their downstairs whiskey bar as some sort of local tourist attraction for them. Anytime I asked about what they were working on they kept talking about big plans for downstairs like hosting rehearsal dinners and private parties....

In the end, what I loved about Eternal Tap is the location and the old building with its original wooden craftsmanship. Both of those things will be included in whatever happens next.

Sad to hear that, always enjoyed going to Eternal Tap and even had my birthday there in August. But it never picked up and they seemed to have "big ideas" that they were focused on that weren't realistic, mostly in the separation of their downstairs whiskey bar as some sort of local tourist attraction for them. Anytime I asked about what they were working on they kept talking about big plans for downstairs like hosting rehearsal dinners and private parties....

In the end, what I loved about Eternal Tap is the location and the old building with its original wooden craftsmanship. Both of those things will be included in whatever happens next.

Their closing isnt much of a surprise.  The location was beautiful and i enjoyed spending time there but the food was horrific.  Far too many better choices out there.