Hottest SE City For Development

UrbanCharlotte

City Development  

264 members have voted

1. 1. What city (In the SE) is the hottest in terms of development so far in '05?

• Charlotte
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Atlanta
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Other, specify

What is this Ballari and where will it be in Orlando? it seems very tall, but nobody has mentioned the 70-story tower proposed right near/in downtown jax, and having just walked around town today...i just can't belive what is in store for our future. In a few years any city in FLA will be laughing at all the other cities on the list because there will be more cranes than completed buildings...Bwa-ha-ha, just kidding but seriously, this is no joke...FLA will dominate, and then Jacksoville will eventually dominate FLA for real

Ballari will be in Buena Vista area near the Marriot World Center... But really.. no Florida city will dominate Miami unless they court some serious businesses...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this Ballari and where will it be in Orlando? it seems very tall, but nobody has mentioned the 70-story tower proposed right near/in downtown jax, and having just walked around town today...i just can't belive what is in store for our future. In a few years any city in FLA will be laughing at all the other cities on the list because there will be more cranes than completed buildings...Bwa-ha-ha, just kidding but seriously, this is no joke...FLA will dominate, and then Jacksoville will eventually dominate FLA for real

Isn't that 70 story tower just a proposal at the moment?

A2 is a big guy I am sure and he can respond for himself.

As to the topic, I was not aware that the census only gives permits in relation to residential. I thought permits were sought and issued by local governments for all types of development. If the census only captures residential then by all means A2 can show me proof of his statement when he finds the data. I'm in no hurry. If not then I will continue to ask how can someone make the statement "Miami blows Atlanta out of the water." I am not saying he is wrong, I'm just asking for a link or some evidence. If you ask me, I don't get bent all out of shape because Atlanta is not on top of the poll. I just want people to make statements that are factual....especially when the data is readily available.

I could post the list of new highrise projects in the pipeline for Miami but its 440 projects long. 36 of them are over 600 feet. 68 of them are over 500 feet.

• 3 weeks later...

ooo, wow! and all of these are residentials for old people or rich people. Let's see some signature office towers and some really awesome additions to hospitals and universities. A wall of secluded 50-70 floor residentials does not impress me too much, especially when considering MIA has already proven that it can do that. "Hot" development is development that defies odds and is unique, it combines quantity with quality and I would say uniqueness.

I said Atlanta because the Atlanta Metro is growing the fastest.

between 2000 and 2004 the metro Atlanta population grew by 486,018

other metros

Orlando-The Villages, FL +224,506

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC +170,776

Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL +354,159

Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Columbia, TN +89,284

Jacksonville, FL +102,631

Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL +191,970

the fastest growing metro areas and population increase from 2000-2004

1) Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA 1,142,465

2) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 554,595

3) New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA 497,033

4) Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL 486,018

5) Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX 465,630

6) Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ 463,484

7) Washington-Baltimore-No. Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV 454,160

8) Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Miami Beach, FL 354,159

my source: http://www.demographia.com/db-2004metro.htm

someone said something about numbers. i figure that this is the best indication of development because the more people that move somewhere, the more buildings needed to house them, more freeways to move them, more buildings to employ them, = more development.

as you can see Atlanta wins by plenty

• 1 month later...

Here's some projects for Norfolk

Fort Norfolk Project

21637aa0.jpg

Brambleton Tower

12166_1_big.jpg

Granby Tower

88-large_image.jpg

388 Boush Tower

388front.jpg

Harbor Heights

tcchq.jpg

St. Paul's Place

spp-03.jpg

Trader Tower

tradersquare.jpg

Hilton Hotel & Condos

DSC01337.jpg

Cruise Ship Terminal

terminal-3.jpg

Ghent South Towers

Pc0010800.jpg

201 21 street

12168_2_big.jpg

Harbor's Edge

88-harborsedge.jpg

The Spectrum

spectrum.jpg

Cosmo 318

Index.JPG

Va. Arts Festival

newdevvaartsfest.jpg

TCC Student Center

studentcenter.jpg

ODU Research Park

rendering.gif

Hoffler Tower

hofflertowerreal2.jpg

Light Rail

lightrailstarterlinemap1019.gif

Bristol at Ghent

44_new_cropped.jpg

HRT HQ

863254d6.jpg

Rotunda

rotundaforwermerssite.jpg

wow, i had forgetten all about this thread. looking back on it, i find it funny that some forumers think that signature tower is never going to eclipse boa in charlotte. the rumor now is 70 stories and pushing 900 ft (some even think it'll surpass that special 4 digit mark).

It may, it may not....I'm not sure why its really that important....it will be good for Nashville no matter how tall it is....I'm not sure what is funny about someone doubting a "rumor"....We've had 4 buildings here in Charlotte in the last 10 years "rumored" to surpass BofA.....talk and renderings are cheap (relatively).....if it does happen though, then congrats to Nashville....though I really can't understand why people would want to live in a building with 700 other units.....

Since someone above asked for new university buildings in these cities, heres the new Klaus Advanced Computing building at Georgia Tech in Atlanta.

h187df2251a1ef9bd7475d4fde8b7f7d411080169394.jpg

Heres a snippet about it being environmentally friendly:

The Christopher W. Klaus Advanced Computing Building will be located in the heart of the Georgia Tech campus and will house some of the most advanced computing labs and innovative educational technology in the world. The building will also include a substantial number of environmental and sustainable features with the goal of achieving the prestigious LEED Silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council. Environmentally friendly features include creative use of the six-acre urban campus site to preserve over 50 percent of the site as green space, a storm water collection system to provide water for irrigation, energy efficient heating and cooling systems, and extensive use of recyclable materials.
Also, heres the new Molecular Science and Engineering Building

GTBldgMRenderingsmallforwebsite.jpg

Turner is currently providing preconstruction and construction services for this five-story, 275,000 sq. ft. facility consisting of labs and classrooms. The Molecular Science and Engineering Building will house 60 Georgia Tech faculty members and their students. The internal design will maximize the interactions between faculty members and their students in both offices and laboratories and the building will be connected to two of the other buildings in the Biotechnology Complex by pedestrian walkways. The building

Ok...why do some take up an entire page posting building after building? Sure, they look great but it is a bit annoying to have to wait till they all upload and the scroll button the right stops moving up and up and up. I don't mind a couple of pictures of anything but those long strings of pictures showing every building ever planned on earth (exageration of course) are tiresome. And can anybody try "shrinking" their pics a bit? They don't have to take up the whole screen to see them.

It may, it may not....I'm not sure why its really that important....it will be good for Nashville no matter how tall it is....I'm not sure what is funny about someone doubting a "rumor"....We've had 4 buildings here in Charlotte in the last 10 years "rumored" to surpass BofA.....talk and renderings are cheap (relatively).....if it does happen though, then congrats to Nashville....though I really can't understand why people would want to live in a building with 700 other units.....

it's funny because it's more than likely going to happen (not really a rumor, more so of an inside tip). i guess i'm just frustrated with people doubting nashville.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting statistics for the 1st quarter of 2006

Office Vacancy Rates and (change from the 4th quarter 2005 if i can find it)

Atlanta 17.2%, (+0.1%)

Houston 13.8% (-0.8%)

Dallas-Fort Worth 22.3% (??)

Charlotte 12.6% (-0.8%)

Orlando 12.4% (-0.3%)

Tampa 13.2% (-0.1%)

Jacksonville 20.2% (-1.7%)

San Antonio 13.2% (-0.3%)

by comparison...

Detroit 15.6% (flat)

NYC 10.1% (-2.7%)

Los Angeles 12.4% (-0.3%)

Seattle 11.9% (-2% to 2.5%)

Denver 15.7% (-3%)

from the trammell crow company website.

I tried to find overall information, this doesnt necessarily include suburbs or districts.

Just some food for thought...

Archived