Hottest SE City For Development

UrbanCharlotte

City Development  

264 members have voted

1. 1. What city (In the SE) is the hottest in terms of development so far in '05?

• Charlotte
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Atlanta
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Other, specify

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This poll just keeps getting more interesting each day.

I agree Viper.

The numbers just keep getting bigger and bigger for some and remain the same for others. I am now starting to wonder why did we go through all that data analysis and people still aren't answering honestly. Another thing that I noticed is that the thread initially asked what was the hottest city for development for 2005 so far. We provided information and people still wanted to talk about proposals and who has the best skyline....as if development is limited to skyscrapers only. Oh well.....we can only hope that people actually did read the thread as informative as it is. They may answer one way but I'm sure they saw the numbers.

I'm still baffled as to why Tampa and Jacksonville have not moved in the numbers. Maybe some of the Floridians are not aware of the development numbers taking place in these two cities. If they were Tampa would have many more votes and Jacksonville would be more than it is. Perhaps people confused the question with what city has the most proposed buildings. :P

It's the Nashville votes that puzzle me most. Please don't take any offense as none is intended. It's quite obvious it's developing slower in 2005 than the rest of the listing and if it's not, then the homework done in this thread has certainly proved as much.

I've discovered that multi page threads are less read by new readers than a aingle page thread thus they tend to miss out on the data we provided.

I think this poll has proven beyond doubt that homeboyism and ignorance are stronger than knowledge and humility.

Respect goes to those that researched the facts, studied them and carefully weighed in after knowledge was presented instead of voting based on bias and pride.

Nashville having just 2 votes shy of Atlanta and 2 over Orlando really speaks volumes especially once facts were displayed showing Nashville (though developing just fine in its own right) is one of the weaker areas of development on this list.

Charlotte was the no brainer for vote gaining simply because they are of the largest aggregate of posters here and their pride is intoxicatingly strong.

Im in Charlotte , but voted for Jax. I have family in St.Johns county. They tell me the development is going nuts down there. But if I had to list my second choice...guess what it would be....lol

Check the statistics on pages 8 & 9 and you'll see that Atlanta isn't the hottest city in 2005 for development. Unless some can find more impressive numbers, it appears that Cape Coral/Fort Myers wins this debate by a long shot.

I'm not sure residential permits alone wins a vague debate like this. Altanta just finished a 40+ story office tower, plus has had many office parks, industrial parks, Altantic Station retail, an aquarium, etc etc etc.

Development is much more than number of residental units built, and I would be highly surprised if anywhere besides Atlanta has had a greater $$$ investment in development this year.....otherwise this thread would be titled; Which city is gaining the most full and part time residents?

I voted for Atlanta, but I should have chosen "other" as Miami has alot of projects coming up as well. Atlanta might not have the beach's but alot of development is still happening down there. I would say Charlotte or Jacksonville would be next after those two.

I'm not sure residential permits alone wins a vague debate like this. Altanta just finished a 40+ story office tower, plus has had many office parks, industrial parks, Altantic Station retail, an aquarium, etc etc etc.

Development is much more than number of residental units built, and I would be highly surprised if anywhere besides Atlanta has had a greater $$$ investment in development this year.....otherwise this thread would be titled; Which city is gaining the most full and part time residents?

You could make the same argument, not only for Atlanta, but for all of this cities. For example, Atlanta gets and Aquarium, Jax gets a port terminal and Charlotte gets a light rail line. Every city gets some type of development, but you can't prove much by that. So lets pull the building permit totals for this year and see where all of these cities really stand. Although I feel the votes would remain the same, even if they show that a less popular city is the winner.

You could make the same argument, not only for Atlanta, but for all of this cities. For example, Atlanta gets and Aquarium, Jax gets a port terminal and Charlotte gets a light rail line. Every city gets some type of development, but you can't prove much by that. So lets pull the building permit totals for this year and see where all of these cities really stand. Although I feel the votes would remain the same, even if they show that a less popular city is the winner.

I think greater Atlanta would still win by a landslide. If Miami were in this poll it would blow out Atlanta.

A2

I think greater Atlanta would still win by a landslide. If Miami were in this poll it would blow out Atlanta.

A2

Did you check pages 8 and 9 or the links provided directly to the census bureau which compiles permits per month and year to date for each city, county and MSA? Before you answer go check first.

Did you check pages 8 and 9 or the links provided directly to the census bureau which compiles permits per month and year to date for each city, county and MSA? Before you answer go check first.

No one is debating RESIDENTIAL permits, but I'm pretty sure development encompasses a bit more than dwelling units......

I'm pretty sure A2 was responding to the suggestion that I made on page 11 that Atlanta is dominating in total development.....residential permits might be useful if this was a thread measuring the which city is growing fastest in the number of primary and secondary homes.....but that does not even come close to measuring all development.

Again, the total value of ALL building permits, residentilal, commercial, civic, etc., is the only way to measure this....and I'm not sure many of us have that much spare time on our hands.

Unfortunately, the claim that any city is dominating without offering proof is useless. At this point, with all the info that's already been posted, no one should be coming on here and offering an opinion that goes against the data that's been shown without factual proof. So as you said, the easiest thing to do is provide comparable information (growth rates, building permits) between the cities, instead of specific projects being built in each one.

I am not suprise to see Fla. cities with a lot of construction, due to the hurricanes in the passed years.

The hurricanes have nothing to do with Florida's growth. These aren't replacement homes being constructed. These are new homes for new residents (from other states and countries). Florida has been the fastest growing state in the south for many, many years now. Florida cities, big and small, have been near the top of growth lists for years.

Which of these cities is the hottest in development so far this year.

Orlando - 92

Tampa - 90

Jacksonville - 91

Charlotte - 90

Atlanta - 89

Nashville - 89

Columbia, SC - 95

These are the average july temperatures from Weather.com.....I think that this offers quite a bit of proof that Columbia is the hottest in development in the SE so far this year.

Archived