Hottest SE City For Development

UrbanCharlotte

City Development  

264 members have voted

1. 1. What city (In the SE) is the hottest in terms of development so far in '05?

• Charlotte
    • Orlando
    • Tampa
    • Atlanta
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville
    • Other, specify

Well, Columbia is built directly over a vent from hell. I predict with global warming, it will remain the South's "hottest" city. By 2050, it could literally be on fire.

Wouldn't it be a better idea to look at total investment dollars, rather than residential building permits? Besides, nearly 30% of all new residential units in Ft. Myers are for people who live there less than half the year. How much money do they actually put into the economy when they're not around?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one is debating RESIDENTIAL permits, but I'm pretty sure development encompasses a bit more than dwelling units......

I'm pretty sure A2 was responding to the suggestion that I made on page 11 that Atlanta is dominating in total development.....residential permits might be useful if this was a thread measuring the which city is growing fastest in the number of primary and secondary homes.....but that does not even come close to measuring all development.

Again, the total value of ALL building permits, residentilal, commercial, civic, etc., is the only way to measure this....and I'm not sure many of us have that much spare time on our hands.

A2 is a big guy I am sure and he can respond for himself.

As to the topic, I was not aware that the census only gives permits in relation to residential. I thought permits were sought and issued by local governments for all types of development. If the census only captures residential then by all means A2 can show me proof of his statement when he finds the data. I'm in no hurry. If not then I will continue to ask how can someone make the statement "Miami blows Atlanta out of the water." I am not saying he is wrong, I'm just asking for a link or some evidence. If you ask me, I don't get bent all out of shape because Atlanta is not on top of the poll. I just want people to make statements that are factual....especially when the data is readily available.

I also must say that development is development. The topic's title didn't specify what type of development and it also did not ask for proposed development....yet people still provided it anyway, lol. I'm just trying to be as genuine as possible. I was and still am baffled as to why people voted the way they did. Skyybutter presented the links after 34 voters had voted for a particular city. Tampa had 4 and Jacksonville had 4. Days later and after disection and digestion of the data, Tampa and Jacksonville have not moved much......yet other cities have continues to sail away, sail away, sail away.

I continue to post not to prove that Atlanta is the hottest city....I continue to post because I am wondering why noone is voting for Jacksonville or Tampa. You see, I can be very impartial. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the claim that any city is dominating without offering proof is useless. At this point, with all the info that's already been posted, no one should be coming on here and offering an opinion that goes against the data that's been shown without factual proof. So as you said, the easiest thing to do is provide comparable information (growth rates, building permits) between the cities, instead of specific projects being built in each one.

I totally agree.

I also feel that when you start to dig too deep into types of permits and if the unit is built for a full time resident or not, you open a whole different type of topic. If you are a developer....which would be the person doing the development...would you be concerned with how long a person is living in the unit or the capital made from said unit. I just think that we should keep it to permits oooooooooor, I would be willing to go with total investment dollars. Just as long as people don't add proposals since you can't count something that's not being built yet. ;)

There is also a "faith" factor embedded in a developer's decision to build. All of the cities listed are a pretty secure gamble. Based on the data I've seen posted herein I'm forced to change my Jax vote to Atlanta because it appears that it is the most secure vote. Atlanta's size, growth explosion, and resurgance in downtown living are all key factors. The stats show that Atlanta is not the "Hottest", however, as a developer I would put my money towards Atlanta; a larger, more established, and sure-fire choice in making a heafty return on my investment.

• 1 month later...

I think Atlanta, GA is definitely hot for development. There is so much valuable land open for use, and with a beltline project currently in the beginning phases, I'm sure Atlanta may expand much quicker very soon. With the beltline as a boundary, Atlanta might begin building up instead of out; this would kill the urban sprawl that Atlanta is currently having a problem with.

New Nightclub announced for Landing.

Resales of Jacksonville homes up 38% from last October, the largest increase for any large city in the state. Nationally, they fell by 2.7%

Jacksonville's median sales price rose 20%.

Krazeeboi, It's definetly on a level few other cities are fortunate to be.

Landing Nissan North America's headquarters has to have earned Nashville some brownie points. I'm not going to say that we are the hottest city for development, but we are a lot hotter than people are giving us credit for. In the next 10-15 years Nashville will look a lot different than it does right now.

I also think it's impressive when Nashville's metro accounts for 40% of the state's growth in a state with 10 metropolitan areas and 3 other major cities.

I also think it's impressive when Nashville's metro accounts for 40% of the state's growth in a state with 10 metropolitan areas and 3 other major cities.

That is a little deceiving though considering that 2 of the 4 major cities in TN are border cities. Both the Memphis metro and Chattanooga metro have as many or more counties outside of TN than in--and a good bit of each metro's growth is occurring outside the state. But Nashville's metro is still growing faster/more than any of the other major TN cities.

What sucks about Ballari is that it and CityMark and that Blue Rose? will not even be built in the city... But it is cool because it will be like a few blocks from my apartment. Kissimmee has so much development going on, with all sorts of townhouses and condos going up. But I think out of all of these cities, Orlando will be the most changed after this initial wave of development. The CBD will be totally altered by 2008, a year later the Commuter rail and there should be high-rise hotels, condos all along I-4 till past Disney... Not to mention other suburban growth plans (Altamote Springs, Sanford, Maitland, WP, etc.) So I dont think that Orlando leads any list of permits (statistics show this), but I do believe that the development here will have the most drastic effect on Orlando compared to the other cities.

That is a little deceiving though considering that 2 of the 4 major cities in TN are border cities. Both the Memphis metro and Chattanooga metro have as many or more counties outside of TN than in--and a good bit of each metro's growth is occurring outside the state. But Nashville's metro is still growing faster/more than any of the other major TN cities.

That is true, especially in the case of Memphis. Not so much Chattanooga. I am only referring to growth within the state of Tennessee. DeSoto County, Mississippi's high growth rate doesn't affect the Tennessee economy in the same way as say, Rutherford county. Good point, though.

^Ballari isn't a good example of what urban highrise projects have become. Go ahead and refer to any of the Florida development threads for examples of thousands of urban pedestrian friendly projects, going up in the South's most urbanized state.

However, for being in the suburbs, even this thing beats building homes on 1 acre lots in the middle of cow pastures.

^Ballari isn't a good example of what urban highrise projects have become. Go ahead and refer to any of the Florida development threads for examples of thousands of urban pedestrian friendly projects, going up in the South's most urbanized state.

However, for being in the suburbs, even this thing beats building homes on 1 acre lots in the middle of cow pastures.

Isnt this thing in the flight path of the Kissimmee airport? I am not sure of the site for this place, but I think it is. Anyone know? It will really look strange rising from the cowpastures... thats for sure.

Ballari is no where near the Kissimmee Airport. Its in Lake Buena Vista in the vicinity of the Marriott World Center and the entrance to Disney. Further, it does not represent the wave of condos/offices, and their urban-oriented nature, sprouting up all over downtown and its adjacent neighborhoods. Orlando is on the move in a big way, not to mention that its already a pretty decent downtown.

• 5 weeks later...

What is this Ballari and where will it be in Orlando? it seems very tall, but nobody has mentioned the 70-story tower proposed right near/in downtown jax, and having just walked around town today...i just can't belive what is in store for our future. In a few years any city in FLA will be laughing at all the other cities on the list because there will be more cranes than completed buildings...Bwa-ha-ha, just kidding but seriously, this is no joke...FLA will dominate, and then Jacksoville will eventually dominate FLA for real

Archived