Dilworth Projects (Kenilworth, Morehead, East)

Southend

On 9/17/2019 at 2:22 PM, NYtoCLT said:

Does anyone know if there has been so much as a rumor regarding what LH and/or others want to do with the big food truck lot at East/Scott?

I’m pretty sure LH is just representing the Castanas family in their attempt to sell or lease the property for more than its worth. Castanas has been moving the pricing goal post for years now. When the market was $50 a foot he wanted $100. When market was $60 a foot he wanted $110. My guess is that nothing will happen there for decades or more. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Seabrooke You forgot the 180 key/120,000 sqft hotel! Probably going to be the 3rd phase after the larger office development. I think they said apartments, not condos, but I could be mistaken about that. The total residential portion is about 1/2 of this project with a significant portion of them being considered affordable housing because of this lands previous use, even though they didn't really mention that in the prebid. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday's Charlotte Ledger, "Huge Swath of Dilworth to be gobbled up by Developer" by Tony Mecia and Michelle Crouch

"About 50 Dilworth houses between Atrium’s Carolinas Medical Center and East Boulevard (in red box) are on the verge of being owned by healthcare-related companies.  About two dozen homeowners on Garden Terrace, Fountain View and Scott Avenue have agreed to sell to a company linked to Summit Healthcare, a medical-office developer.  Separately, Atrium already owns about 25 houses in the area."

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2af9f63f-0067-46e9-aab3-f12fd55a4a18_1160x1032.png

"Every house along two neighborhood streets in Dilworth is on the verge of being owned by healthcare-affiliated companies, as about two dozen homeowners have agreed to sell their land to a developer active in the area, real estate sources tell The Ledger."  "It’s a huge story for a high-profile section of Dilworth, as the pending sales crystalize worries about the growth of Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center and could one day lead to a dramatic transformation one of Charlotte’s historic neighborhoods."  "The intrigue around Dilworth, which has quickly spread among neighbors in the last few days, centers on two residential streets off East Boulevard that dead end next to CMC: Fountain View Street and Garden Terrace. For years, Atrium Health has been purchasing houses on those streets. Atrium owns 14 of 19 residential parcels on Garden Terrace and 11 of 24 on Fountain View, for a total of about 6.6 residential acres in the area, according to a Ledger analysis of real estate records."  "Now, though, land brokers have persuaded the remaining homeowners on those streets, plus a handful of owners on nearby Scott Avenue, to sell, says Nick Lukens with Moseley Real Estate Advisors, which represents the Starbucks on East Boulevard."  “Any of the homes [on] Fountain View and Garden Terrace, if it’s not already owned by the hospital, it’s under contract,” he told the Ledger, based on conversations he said he has had with people familiar with the deals. Lukens said he didn’t know the identity of the company buying the houses."  "Two other sources with knowledge of the transactions identified the buyer as being linked to Summit Healthcare Group — the medical-office developer that recently bought the Starbucks and Key Man buildings and related commercial properties that face East Boulevard." 

Link:  https://charlotteledger.substack.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been an issue for years in this area of Dilworth known among neighbors as the "four blocks." Scott, Garden Terrace, Fountain View, and Lombardy Circle. Some years ago it was general knowledge that selling to anyone except a hospital entity was difficult as they could outbid another individual, pressure owners, and once they controlled sufficient parcels an owner had property worthless to anyone except the single buyer, a monopsony.

• Like 3

Most interesting to me was the part about Atrium referencing 'the other company' and saying they don't have anything to do with it.  Seems like an odd place for a competitor to try and show up?

The spokesman added that Atrium has no connection to Summit Healthcare: “We absolutely do not have anything to do with that other developer.”

On 12/14/2019 at 6:46 PM, KJHburg said:

all over Dilworth Morehead and Kenilworth corridor today.  

1. 2.  Duke Endowment and their new purchase the BBQ restaurant   3.  Lincoln apartments 4. Levine Cancer center  5.  Epicurean site wonder if I live long enough to see it developed?  6.7. new townhomes on Kenilworth 8. 9. 10. new Atrium MOB and new Realtors building

IMG_8892.JPG

That looks like a terrible place to try and get in and out of the garages.

On 12/14/2019 at 7:00 PM, Seabrooke said:

That scaffolding is absolutely horrifying! 

That's the "exclamation point on these buildings", not scaffolding.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:28 AM, AP3 said:

Haven't seen this posted yet.  Grading has begun for 12 new town homes on Kenilworth next to Solis Dilworth.  

1030 Kenilworth.3.PNG

1030 Kenilworth.2.PNG

1030 Kenilworth.1.PNG

1030 Kenilworth.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kermit said:

The Observer sez that my least favorite Dilworth landuse, Irontribe, will be replaced by my next least favorite Dilworth landuse, a cigar and whisky bar. 

215 E Worthington

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article239071698.html

I honestly miss the autoparts store.

Tom’s auto parts. To walk for part in midst of repair is an exceptional amenity. Gone: Tom’s and my car repair days.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Tom’s auto parts. To walk for part in midst of repair is an exceptional amenity. Gone: Tom’s and my car repair days.

You just described my life. ( I sell auto parts).  Gone too, are H & H, Dales where Dimensional is now, and a few others. 

The truth is, cars just don't break down anymore. When's the last time you changed your spark plugs or timing chain?

• Like 1