Hoffler Tower

krdarden

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I didn't hear about this on the day they announced all those other projects. I think I would have had a heart attack. :rofl:

No kidding! I wish we could get some more official information on this project like: the height, floor count, and a better rendering of it. There has to be a rendering on the developers site!

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would say that this building looks like the hague, just taller. This looks nothing like the hague. The only similarity is that it is a residential tower, the similarities end there.

I don't see any similarites either. I like it though. We need more developments like this in the city.

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would say that this building looks like the hague, just taller. This looks nothing like the hague. The only similarity is that it is a residential tower, the similarities end there.

Yeah I agree and I'm sorry to everyone for me overhyping a building that was based on the imaginary sense of thinking about the Hague Tower before posting the rendering. It was based on the quick glance and look I had the first time I saw the speech but maybe that would be a good thing too because even if Hoffler was the same height and width of the Hague, Hoffler is still clearly a better building.

The only other details I can remember from the speech was that construction is expected to begin this year and that it will have affordable residences to high-income residences.

Now THAT is what a preliminary sketch should look like. It reminds me of some of the better condo and mixed use projects were seeing in other cities these days. Way better than most Las Vegas proposals, and better than most south Florida projects too.

It's funny because to me this tower looked like we had stolen from Miami beach :lol:

Yeah I agree and I'm sorry to everyone for me overhyping a building that was based on the imaginary sense of thinking about the Hague Tower before posting the rendering. It was based on the quick glance and look I had the first time I saw the speech but maybe that would be a good thing too because even if Hoffler was the same height and width of the Hague, Hoffler is still clearly a better building.

The only other details I can remember from the speech was that construction is expected to begin this year and that it will have affordable residences to high-income residences.

Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. :whistling: This is going to be in incredible project for the city, however, we need to see more of these going up in that area, otherwise it will be a lone tower. At least granby tower has the group of towers by at&t building and the Kotarides development to complement it. This tower will be by itself and seperated from downtown. Hopefully more infill projects will be announced and help to accompany, this tower.

Yeah I really like this. Despite the grainy pic we have here I think it will end up being a sleek, slender thing of beauty.

Is Brambleton Ave the new Main St?

It's seems like it will become the new Main St. in Norfolk's future but it's obvious that Main St. itself is tryin' to hold it's ground with the newly unveiled Hilton and probably future development on that ugly, land-wasting parking garage between the BB&T Tower and Wachovia Tower.

Sorry, didn't mean to come down on you. :whistling: This is going to be in incredible project for the city, however, we need to see more of these going up in that area, otherwise it will be a lone tower. At least granby tower has the group of towers by at&t building and the Kotarides development to complement it. This tower will be by itself and seperated from downtown. Hopefully more infill projects will be announced and help to accompany, this tower.

Oh that's ok, I didn't take any offense. During the speech Fraim strongly emphasized that whole quadrant known as the "St. Paul's Quadrant" which includes Hoffler Tower and said that the entire 150-acre section is in such "intense development pressure" that they hired the consulting firm (which we all previously know about) to study the area and bring forth suggestions to the city in its redevelopment plans.

Well, it is adjacent to the DT Plaza... and hopefully when the newly hired consultants complete their study for the area, we'll see some more high-rises. I too am interested in what plans they shot down already for DT Plaza. Also, I thought this was suppose to be a residential tower marketed for Senior Citzen living??

Well, it is adjacent to the DT Plaza... and hopefully when the newly hired consultants complete their study for the area, we'll see some more high-rises. I too am interested in what plans they shot down already for DT Plaza. Also, I thought this was suppose to be a residential tower marketed for Senior Citzen living??

No I don't think it was ever for senior citizens. I think they are trying to turn Ft. Norfolk into a place for senior citizens.

No I don't think it was ever for senior citizens. I think they are trying to turn Ft. Norfolk into a place for senior citizens.

This is a residential tower whos primary market will bew senior citizens. That was said by the developer in that pilot article whne the building was still 20 stories. There was also a small retail and office component as well.

"Hoffler said groundbreaking likely will occur next year. He said the apartments will be marketed largely to senior citizens and others tired of maintaining single-family homes."

Also, someone said earlier that this reminds them of a tower on miami beach. You can see from the quote below why.

"Riddick said he visited a similar development Hoffler owns in West Palm Beach, Fla., in 2004."

I'll reserve judgment on the tower until there's an actual rendering out there. The image doesn't provide much detail. If there are curves and other thoughtful details, this might not be a radiator with a couple of chicken baskets perched on top. Remember that Norfolk doesn't have to embrace every development that comes along. There is now enough demand that Norfolk can indeed afford to insist upon better design and choose carefully.

So does it look like it will be taller than 20 stories now?

Oh surely. This is a quote from last year

He plans to build 150 luxury apartments, ranging in size from 1,200 square feet to 4,000 square feet and renting from $1,300 to $1,800 a month. The first floor would include 10,000 square feet of retail space, including a bank and perhaps a restaurant, he said
Notice they make no mention of affordable housing in this article yet in the mayors address, according to Ace, Affordable housing is now a component. This may be the part that pushed the height up. I'm assuming that the lower floors will be the affordable ones and the higher ones luxury of course. Also, they may have decided to convert some of these into larger condos which would mean less units per floor and a higher floor count. I can't believe this is also starting constuction this year. In 2 years time our skyline will be radically different, and far more expansive than I ever envisioned it could be so soon. Brambleton is gonna be a canyon one day if development keeps up like this. And now with condos probably going across the street from Granby, it's almost too much to think about. :D

Nothing new. Just that same development with retail included as part of it that we've alluded too before in the stores and retail thread (erdogs mentioned something about the condos in the off-topic thread). Trust me, when there is something new or official about that you guys will be the first to know, but the status has not changed yet.

This is a truly awesome development. It reminds me a lot of buildings in Frankfurt and Sao Paolo, I forget their names, but the lattice-overhang thing is very reminiscent. This building, although hard to tell from the grainy pic, could really define the future for the city of Norfolk. All these developments are simply remarkable. I'm so impressed with the city :)

And with this thing at 30-37 floors... maybe Virginia Beach won't hold the title of "State's tallest" for long.

This is a truly awesome development. It reminds me a lot of buildings in Frankfurt and Sao Paolo, I forget their names, but the lattice-overhang thing is very reminiscent. This building, although hard to tell from the grainy pic, could really define the future for the city of Norfolk. All these developments are simply remarkable. I'm so impressed with the city :)

And with this thing at 30-37 floors... maybe Virginia Beach won't hold the title of "State's tallest" for long.

Don't hold your breath. Yes it may be 37 floors but, it has no spire. Imagine the westin without a spire, and that is basically what this building will be.

So you're thinking 400ft tops?

I just don't see how that's possible ... but I'm not an engineer or architect by any means. Buttt, assuming 10 feet per floor minimum with say, 13 foot first floors (for retail and such) and maybe an extra technical floor or something in the roof structure, it'll surpass 400. And with or without the spire, it'll have a great presence in the skyline :shades:

At the very least it'll be taller than dominion at that height, I'm thinking it'll be very close to 400ft. Remember that when the Westing first came out at 30-32 floors with no spire they were still saying it would be 400 ft tall. This will be a major building, no the tallest in the state, but will have a major presence.

Archived