Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

On Wednesday the planning organization reviewed a still-evolving computer model developed by a Virginia

Department of Transportation consultant to evaluate and rate projects. VDOT is paying the consultant, Kimley-Horn and Associates Inc., $150,000 for the work.

The model, based on similar models used in other states, ranks projects on criteria that include congestion, safety, cost-effectiveness, land-use compatibility, road condition, economic vitality and project viability.

A test was run using 43 projects. Separate rankings were developed for highway projects, bridge and tunnel projects, and transit projects. Expanding light rail to Norfolk Naval Station came out on top among transit projects, with a Virginia Beach light-rail extension second.

http://hamptonroads....portation-needs

Edited by ronsmytheiii

An extension towards the naval base first does make sense, but I fear that if we don't pursue the beach line now we'll lose a lot of the momentum that's been gained over the past year. We need to do it now while there is still public support for transit at the beach. Public support, particularly in Va. Beach, can be a fickle thing.

An extension towards the naval base first does make sense, but I fear that if we don't pursue the beach line now we'll lose a lot of the momentum that's been gained over the past year. We need to do it now while there is still public support for transit at the beach. Public support, particularly in Va. Beach, can be a fickle thing.

It could be good for both efforts, I would be willing to be the New Starts program likes to see data confirming the potential of a program. Even if it is not number one, the Virginia beach extension comes out looking good

Virginia Beach extension FIRST!

Then Naval Station.

Why not both? HRT mentioned the Navy base extension along with the Virginia Beach one, and connecting Oceana with Norfolk Naval Base would seem extremely attractive to the navy to me (dont have to build the train stop right at the base, just have an express bus from the gates to the station) The navy would give us significant political capital.

Also remember guys this is an engineering evaluation, it only deals with systems not politics. In put A get B. Ans as a NASAspapceflight.com moderator, I can tell you politicians can take any technical report and spin it to their own advantage (Ares I), so dont view this as a forward plan.

varider this might help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukeHdiszZmE HAL was a super smart computer who was programmed to take mankind to Jupiter to check out a monolith a black rectangle transmitting signals to extraterrestrials. He was programmed to complete the mission at all cost including killing the crew if necessary. Dave the astronaut in this clip was the remaining astronaut and in order for him to survive he had to deactivate HAL.

Anyway, back on topic it seems that the Light Rail spur to Va. Beach is advancing faster than the spur to the Naval Base. I think cspeaksqr is correct Virginia Beach most likely will get light rail first then the spur to the Naval Base will come next.

Went by Norfolk State today (home for thanksgiving) only saw seven cars, wonder where the other car went.

The rail line is complete to Newtown road with heavy equipment riding the line to straighten the gravel. They have constructed chain link fences next to the line at places, and looks really ugly.

Finally the broadcreek bridge has been finished.

I counted 8 LRVs last week, but it's not that easy to count while going 70 down 264, so there may only be 7.

Regardless,

I really hope they make our system look good. Right now it looks cheap and tacky with the fences they put up on the eastern end of the line. I also would like the stations to look less like a bus shelter and more like a train station platform.They need at least two TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine?), trash cans, system maps, etc.

Hopefully we see more private development along the line. I could see some TODs at Ballentine and Military Hwy.

That is probably because you are too young to get it. It is an old movie reference, it is from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I wouldnt figure many of the younger posters would get that joke.

Ooops. I didn't take varider's age into account, although I'm only 21. Read the book, and watch the movie varider. Don't watch the second one.

Va Beach extension will happen first. The base extension will be next. The military is always looking for ways to get more money.

Navy goes green...

Right now it looks cheap and tacky with the fences they put up on the eastern end of the line.

Apparently, according to HRT, the fences were put in place because of the school across the street. Apparently, they don't want kids to get hit by the LRT if they happen to make it playing 'frogger' across the street.... Looks terrible. They wanted to put in a black wrought iron fence but Norfolk didn't want to pay.

Apparently, according to HRT, the fences were put in place because of the school across the street. Apparently, they don't want kids to get hit by the LRT if they happen to make it playing 'frogger' across the street.... Looks terrible. They wanted to put in a black wrought iron fence but Norfolk didn't want to pay.

I wish norfolk would take more pride in their hoods.

It frustrates me how parts of the light rail haven't even broken ground yet...like Bute st between Boush and Monticello!!!! Get that thing underway already!!! I walked part of the line yesterday around the freemason area. Goosebumps!

Actually, Boush/Bute starts construction tomorrow!

http://www.ridetheti...rts.shtml#track

Light Rail Track Installation Will Close Lanes at Boush/Bute Street Intersection

Starting Monday, November 23, light rail construction will cross the intersection of Boush Street and Bute Street. The work will be completed in 2 phases and is expected to last through early February. Though traffic patterns will change with both phases of the work, two-way traffic and pedestrian access will be maintained at all times. See detailed map for more information.

Like the pictures ronsmytheii. Trains are beautiful.

Edited by varider

I counted 8 LRVs last week, but it's not that easy to count while going 70 down 264, so there may only be 7.

Regardless,

I really hope they make our system look good. Right now it looks cheap and tacky with the fences they put up on the eastern end of the line. I also would like the stations to look less like a bus shelter and more like a train station platform.They need at least two TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine?), trash cans, system maps, etc.

Hopefully we see more private development along the line. I could see some TODs at Ballentine and Military Hwy.

Talk about being impatient. :rolleyes: All the things that will be added to the station platforms happens last...no point in putting them up yet only to find them getting vandalized before the grand opening.

As for the tacky, I would need to see pictures, of course, before I could agree or disagree to that, but I will have to take your guys' word for it, I am sure it looks pretty bad.

I cant find the source right now, but apparently the fence is only in one section, due to the fact that there is an elementary school less than 25 yards from the tracks. The fence is there to protect the children from the trains, although they would have to cross a busy road and potentially run down by cars to even get there :unsure: