Norfolk Light Rail and Transit

urbanvb

I liked the names they began with.

Why add Park and Ride to the end of a station name?

But anyway, It's good they opened up the Monticello entrance for holiday shopping.

Doesn't it seem like the lane for cars on Monticello is really narrow? It look like it will only be about 6 inches between your car and the train. Wierd.

No sales tax for transit up here. The City pays a small portion, the state pays a slightly larger portion, and through New Starts the feds pay the largest portion.

So once the EIS/AA is complete for the extension to Virginia Beach, we will just have to hustle New Starts for the $$. So the completion year of our 2nd extension will be determined by the flow of $$ from the feds.

Where does the operational budget come from? As far as the city's portion or even the state's portion? Is it 25/25/50 like Charlotte's?

Where does the operational budget come from? As far as the city's portion or even the state's portion? Is it 25/25/50 like Charlotte's?

Ha! like charlottes. lol. you should be a comedian. structured funding? right now the capital budget is split 19/23/58 (city/state/federal). The operating budget for this segment will most likely be split similar to the bus system, which is 31/16/32/20 (city/state/federal/fares). Due to the nature of Hampton Roads' individual cities, all of the city share will most likely be paid by the city of Norfolk, unless the HR Transportation Planning Organization chips in. If we want to extend it into Virginia Beach or elsewhere, they have to make their own funding arrangements. Keep in mind that, because the city funds transit out of the general budget, it is real estate taxes that are paying for it. Our transit won't take off until we can convince our governments to find dedicated revenue streams.

Keep in mind that, because the city funds transit out of the general budget, it is real estate taxes that are paying for it. Our transit won't take off until we can convince our governments to find dedicated revenue streams.

Oh yeah, in re-reading my post I didn't mean to say that the operational budget was 25/25/50. I meant where is the funding coming from for the construction of line (and/or potential new lines) in regards to local matched dollars - real estate taxes, right? Tough market, has there been any stumble in the build since the market tanked? And do you think that will limit the potential for any more lines in the near future? A little while back I commented that Charlotte may not see our next line for quite some time because the local match is funded by a slumping sales tax - I was hoping HR had a rosier outlook...

Oh yeah, in re-reading my post I didn't mean to say that the operational budget was 25/25/50. I meant where is the funding coming from for the construction of line (and/or potential new lines) in regards to local matched dollars - real estate taxes, right? Tough market, has there been any stumble in the build since the market tanked? And do you think that will limit the potential for any more lines in the near future? A little while back I commented that Charlotte may not see our next line for quite some time because the local match is funded by a slumping sales tax - I was hoping HR had a rosier outlook...

The feds paid 59%, the state paid 23%, and the city paid 18%.

Where the local funds come from, I have no idea.

construction has not slowed. because of the way the construction was funded, the money was there. the city had set it aside. so far, plans seem to be advancing for the extension into virginia beach. as i understand it, they are also evaluating an extension to the naval base. furthermore, rumor has it that virginia beach may be looking into adding a spur to the municipal center from the primary line that would head to the beach. i think that having the military support the project has helped get funding for the LRT. in fact, before we were funded, even HRT themselves were skeptical that we'd get funding. hopefully that military support will continue to assist us in the future.

construction has not slowed. because of the way the construction was funded, the money was there. the city had set it aside. so far, plans seem to be advancing for the extension into virginia beach. as i understand it, they are also evaluating an extension to the naval base. furthermore, rumor has it that virginia beach may be looking into adding a spur to the municipal center from the primary line that would head to the beach. i think that having the military support the project has helped get funding for the LRT. in fact, before we were funded, even HRT themselves were skeptical that we'd get funding. hopefully that military support will continue to assist us in the future.

So how was the tour?

it was alright. It was not as thorough as I had hoped, but it was still informative. I think they should make a video tour of the whole project that the general public could watch. As for the picture, it might take a little while, as my card reader is not working sad.gif

Oh alright, that's a bummer, but take your time. :)

It needs to go to Lynnhaven Mall and the Municipal Center. Oceana is pretty much a done deal IMO with the military support, Naval Station Norfolk too.

And Yeah, the Virginia Beach extension is advancing.. Once the AA/SDEIS is complete the will apply for New Starts, New Starts will give them the green light into the next phase [FEIS/Prelim. Engineering], then they will give us the money [FFGA], move into Final Engineering/Design, then construction :)

I wonder if the spur to Oceana will be after the initial line to the Oceanfront.

I wonder if the spur to Oceana will be after the initial line to the Oceanfront.

My hope is that it will be a simultaneous effort! Given the nature of the two spurs: one going to the base, and the other to the beach where base workers live. I think the two spurs could collectively bargain for the greatest in new starts money. Plus the group effort would prove to be a regional effort and could navigate around any referendum debate.

I mean the EIS is a group effort, which I was surprised at first to hear.

My hope is that it will be a simultaneous effort! Given the nature of the two spurs: one going to the base, and the other to the beach where base workers live. I think the two spurs could collectively bargain for the greatest in new starts money. Plus the group effort would prove to be a regional effort and could navigate around any referendum debate.

I mean the EIS is a group effort, which I was surprised at first to hear.

I'd love to have them built simultaneously and would serve as the backbone to our rapid transit system for decades to come. With 42,000 a day projected headed to the Naval Base, and 20,000+ heading to TC and the Oceanfront, and 12,000 headin downtown Norfolk, in less than 10 years we coul have 70,000+ riders per day.

I counted 8 trains today off 264 smile.gif

I'm still wondering if 9 will be enough capacity for rush hour traffic. dontknow.gif

I think HRT should be proactive and order a couple more and extend the station platforms.

Those trains will be filling up quick otherwise.

Charlotte has been carrying about 11,000- 12,000 lately which is in the range of our projections. They use two car trains at rush hour and they are packed. Imagine us with one car trains. sick.png

Edited by varider

I counted 8 trains today off 264 smile.gif

I'm still wondering if 9 will be enough capacity for rush hour traffic. dontknow.gif

I think HRT should be proactive and order a couple more and extend the station platforms.

Those trains will be filling up quick otherwise.

Charlotte has been carrying about 11,000- 12,000 lately which is in the range of our projections. They use two car trains at rush hour and they are packed. Imagine us with one car trains. sick.png

Norfolk and Charlotte use the same cars. In fact, they use the exact same cars. HRT bought our nine cars from Charlotte's contract with Siemens

Edited by Norfolk4Life

Norfolk and Charlotte use the same cars. In fact, they use the exact same cars. HRT bought our nine cars from Charlotte's contract with Siemens

Yeah, I know we have the same cars. But we have 9, while they have 15 or 16? Sometimes they have trains that are packed to capacity with doubled up trains. How will we look with one car trains.