Providence Press

Cotuit

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rumor has it that Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto is planning a restaurant downtown as well, though the jury's still out on what this means in a city where the talent has always been homegrown"

Anyone else hear about this rumor?... this was a quote from the article -- > http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/d...providence-2007 posted previously

the old journal building behind City Hall, on Eddy Street?

Yeah, he's talking about the one on Eddy. I never actually noticed much damage to it, which could mean one of three things:

A) It was somehow miraculously patched.

B) I'm too inobservant to notice chunks missing from the sides of it

C) Even with damage, it's still visually stunning enough to keep people from noticing how it's been altered.

i like how the very first pic for the article on the site is in fact, say it with me, people...An Historic Building.

"Rumor has it that Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto is planning a restaurant downtown as well, though the jury's still out on what this means in a city where the talent has always been homegrown"

Anyone else hear about this rumor?... this was a quote from the article -- > http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/d...providence-2007 posted previously

It sounds like the Old Journal Building must have been miraculously patched. I am reassured to hear that at least one of you has never noticed big chunks missing. If you had seen it just after the "modern" shell was peeled back off, you would have noticed. I had heard that someone did an artistic fixup on it, but you never know until you see it. Anybody want to post a picture? If you're there, look closely at the large columns.

It sounds like the Old Journal Building must have been miraculously patched. I am reassured to hear that at least one of you has never noticed big chunks missing. If you had seen it just after the "modern" shell was peeled back off, you would have noticed. I had heard that someone did an artistic fixup on it, but you never know until you see it. Anybody want to post a picture? If you're there, look closely at the large columns.

Great press for Providence!

The Morimoto reference must be a reference to the long rumor Pauli Moto's coming, although there are much more recent rumors that the project (which was to open in Summer 2006) isn't happening. Pauli Moto's that have opened elsewhere have gotten very weak reviews...

As for the "we tear down our history" thing, I'll tentatively side with you on that one.

I'm lukewarm on this... The building in the photo in the article is a genuine historic building of significance, unlike, in my humble opinion:

- The public safety building (not old, not that attractive, certainly not significant)

- The New Japan building (completely non-descript, and even the preservationists couldn't figure out who built it, when, and why, given that apparently no one has ever thought the building significant enough to keep records on it)

- The Forgarty Building (not old, not a good example of Brutalism, definitely not significant unless you believe Providence needs one of every architectural style, no matter how unattractive or poorly realized an example of that style it may be...

I have no idea what other thread to reply in since "Providence Press" sure isn't it, but I'll plow forward...

I am not going to get into an argument about bogus preservation. Lets just say I completely disagree with you and leave it at that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the article does list their methodology for the rankings...I think though that this paragraph is telling..and a little disturbing.

Of course, being single is about much more than just dating. Providence, R.I., fell to the bottom of our list this year. That's partly because it came in last in the online dating category. But it also scored low in several other categories, coming 35th in job growth. Singles want to know that they'll be able to nurture an interesting and prosperous career, and Providence just doesn't look that promising.

That would be the goal, yeah. I don't see the bus system becoming any more attractive to the middle class (which the city needs to recapture in order to promote real business growth), and I don't see it helping solve the "parking crisis" either, which leaves little or any reason to change the problems of crappy zoning and over all inefficient land use.

i bet if the bus system was better, the middle class would use it more. i know i would. in fact, the lack of decent bus service is my biggest deterrent to selling my car. my commute is about 10 minutes by car. by bus, it'd be about 30 and that's just going from federal hill to elmhurst... less than 2 miles. also, my bus service greatly decreases on sundays because the 26 doesn't run on sundays for some really really stupid reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived