Providence Press

Cotuit

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's an interesting blurb about this on the ProJo Newsblog:

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/newsbl...turnaround.html

I think most are aware that I have not bought into the cult of Buddy Cianci, but I think Mayor Cicilline is the benefactor of a degree of luck. I think the turn around we see does have a lot to do with the current mayor, but I think a lot of investment was sitting on the state line waiting for Cianci to go away, any schmuck could have been mayor and there would have been a dramatic rise in investment in the city.

I also have to wonder if there is someone out there who could have done more with the interest generated by Cianci's departure than the current mayor has. I tend to think no, because it is so insanely difficult to get anything done around here, but you never know. I'd love to see what Mayor Chafee would do for Providence in 2010.

I would say this administration is known for its relative honesty and integrity, relative to a twice convicted felon.

"But skeptics might raise their eyebrows at the two smallest markets. No. 8 Pittsburgh and No. 10 Providence -- the only top-10 metros with populations below 3 million -- don't have the glittering images of their bigger counterparts, yet they definitely know how to have fun:

* No U.S. market, not even those in the Sunbelt, has a stronger concentration of golf courses than Pittsburgh's 4.19 per 100,000 residents. Pittsburgh's rates for retail centers, bars and bowling centers are among the six best in the nation.

* Providence is ideal for the aquatic set. It has 1.98 marinas for every 100,000 people, leading the country. It also ranks in the top four for concentrations of museums, golf courses, fitness centers and restaurants.

Barely missing the top 10 are three warm-weather tourist magnets that are hailed for their carefree atmospheres: Miami (11th), New Orleans (12th) and Las Vegas (13th). They share a common problem, lacking the balance necessary to crack the elite list:"

hmmm.. Providence Piers/"Narragansett Landing, The coming waterfront park, and a 4am closing time would sure help us out even more :):)

RI'ers need to hear more of Edward Achorn and what's his name?(former mayor of Cranston) and not the likes of Mark Patinkin and this schmuck from GrowSmart. While I applaud his urbanization efforts, he is denying that there are any problems in the state by painting a picture of blissfull economic stature. After reading his biased article, I was almost ready to pack my bags and move back.

The whole state is a mess. It's completely mismanaged from the bottom up. Every taxpaying citizen left in the state in the upcoming years will be stuck financially in some way or another from the state's mismanagement...whether it be in property taxes......sales tax or whatever....

RI'ers need to hear more of Edward Achorn and what's his name?(former mayor of Cranston) and not the likes of Mark Patinkin and this schmuck from GrowSmart. While I applaud his urbanization efforts, he is denying that there are any problems in the state by painting a picture of blissfull economic stature. After reading his biased article, I was almost ready to pack my bags and move back.

The whole state is a mess. It's completely mismanaged from the bottom up. Every taxpaying citizen left in the state in the upcoming years will be stuck financially in some way or another from the state's mismanagement...whether it be in property taxes......sales tax or whatever....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived