Providence Press

Cotuit

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Providence briefly mentioned in USA Today.

The exodus also slowed in Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles metros. For the first time in at least 18 years, the San Francisco area attracted more people from other parts of the country than it lost. Even perennial population losers such as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Providence saw their outflows diminish.

• 2 weeks later...

I HEART PROVIDENCE, created by Mike Ritz, is an Annual Providence, RI, February Celebration to ask, "Providence, will you be my Valentine?"

This video taken at I HEART PROVIDENCE is a combination of people confessing their love for Rhode Island's capital in custom-made confessionals and one-on-one interviews with Providence lovers by professional emcee, Diamond Dan White. This lovefest, hosted by Mayor David N. Cicilline, occurred on the third floor inside Providence City Hall on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

http://www.vimeo.com/3920565

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone catch that article on CNN Money (or another site, not sure) about Providence being the hardest city to live in in the country? I forget the exact purpose of the article, the gist was rent was real high when compared to the income of its residents. Someone from Massachusetts sent it to me to make fun of me for living in Ghetto Providence.

Did anyone catch that article on CNN Money (or another site, not sure) about Providence being the hardest city to live in in the country? I forget the exact purpose of the article, the gist was rent was real high when compared to the income of its residents. Someone from Massachusetts sent it to me to make fun of me for living in Ghetto Providence.

ya thats like taking a 1 foot by 1 foot area in each state, testing which states sample is the dirtiest, and labeling them the dirtiest state in the nation.

they hardly put effort into these online polls anymore.. its just filler for the main pages of yahoo and other sites.. they do it every few months.

My opinion, the foreclosure wave has just as much to do with the exorbitant taxes than it does with a real estate bubble. I don't think its a coincidence that the ridiculous tax hike in places like Olneyville exactly coincided with the burst.

Fry, the problem with your quote is that the earlier governments of RI have handed down bad policy (e.g. extremely burdensome union contracts) so that affecting change is going to be at best a slow process and in reality something akin to watching paint dry in the rain.

Voters are notoriously bad at taking the long view, therefore we have to rely on our politicians to do so. This was supposed to be one of the advantages of a representative government.

I hope some of the changes and vision for the future help out. Growth in emerging tech can only help.

Much of what you're may be true, but Rhode Island is #10 on the list of highest taxed states. The only other state on the top 10 that has a higher foreclosure rate that Rhode Island is California. Property taxes probably have less to do with the local foreclosure problem than predatory loan practices by lenders on less affluent people in Olneyville.

Only, Government Madoffs don't go to jail.. They get reelected in Rhode Island.. The bottom line is this.. Liberal ideals got us here.. You can blame Bush for the national, even if really was Clinton and the ridiculous "everyone deserves a home" non-laws that caused everything..

This is not what caused everything. What caused everything was that the Treasury and the Bush admin wanted America to come out of 9/11 into economic growth and did not allow the natural recession in 2002 to happen.

What got us here is bad politics from both sides.

As for RI, I agree in general and the fact is that RI's continued struggle is basically illustrating the dangers of Keynesian economic theory.

• 4 months later...

Archived