Providence Press

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was really surprising to see, but forbes has ranked providence 15th out of 40 on their list of "best cities for young professionals" right before chicago? i don't know all the factors they use to come up w/ these lists, considering the tiny job market here. it seems to be in a group of much larger cities as well. but they do say providence scored well in many categories. it would have been even higher on the list if it wasn't dragged down by the ratio of high living costs to lower wages.

this is the link to the article. but to see prov click on the "in pictures" link and ade through to #15

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/21/cities-jo...realestate.html

this was really surprising to see, but forbes has ranked providence 15th out of 40 on their list of "best cities for young professionals" right before chicago? i don't know all the factors they use to come up w/ these lists, considering the tiny job market here. it seems to be in a group of much larger cities as well. but they do say providence scored well in many categories. it would have been even higher on the list if it wasn't dragged down by the ratio of high living costs to lower wages.

this is the link to the article. but to see prov click on the "in pictures" link and ade through to #15

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/21/cities-jo...realestate.html

This may be completely :offtopic: , but I came across this during a google search today.

http://www.re-vision.com/photography/provi...1976/intro.html

It's not really "press" in the conventional sense, but either way, I thought these images needed to be shared, and this was the only thread I could think of that made any sense to put them on. They're beautifully constructed, and I thought they were a nice frame of reference for those who didn't live (or weren't yet alive) in the Providence of the mid 70s.

This may be completely :offtopic: , but I came across this during a google search today.

http://www.re-vision.com/photography/provi...1976/intro.html

It's not really "press" in the conventional sense, but either way, I thought these images needed to be shared, and this was the only thread I could think of that made any sense to put them on. They're beautifully constructed, and I thought they were a nice frame of reference for those who didn't live (or weren't yet alive) in the Providence of the mid 70s.

Wow! Those are fantastic! Excellent find! Hey look, parking 35 cents!

It's amazing to see how far Providence has come.

Look at how dirty everything looks, especially that sign across the street.

Some great examples of big, unique signage in these photos!

I fear however, that this is what many people think of when they hear the word Urban.

I think the signage is what charmed me most about these. I wish a lot of it were still around, it makes the street scenes so much more dynamic and interesting to look at. They gave the illusion of vibrant life despite the fact that downtown was a desert at the time. Washington Street still has some of that character, but I wish the others did too.

From the point of view of someone who never really saw downtown back then (I was born 10 years after these were taken), these serve as a really interesting point by which to judge what I see in the Providence of today. What do I like about it now? What do I wish were still here based on what's in the photographs? Good things to keep in mind.

A really great find. Thanks for posting it. The famous photographer and RISD professor Harry Callahan also did a number of photos of Providence in the 50s and 60s. Some of them were architectural studies like those we've been looking at and some are studies of pedestrians walking around downtown. Here are some examples of the first group. Check out Acme Sign Co.

A really great find. Thanks for posting it. The famous photographer and RISD professor Harry Callahan also did a number of photos of Providence in the 50s and 60s. Some of them were architectural studies like those we've been looking at and some are studies of pedestrians walking around downtown. Here are some examples of the first group. Check out Acme Sign Co.

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty uncharitable, CTOWN MIKEY. I think you should take that back.

and he's not wrong. we do knock down our history. Or burn it down, whichever is cheaper it seems. Clearly the masonic temple had a guardian angel all these years. i have no idea how that thing is still standing in this city.

The heart-breaking thing about the Old Journal Building was that after that JJNewberry cladding was removed, you could see the atrocities the installers had committed. There were slices sawn out of elegant columns and details chiseled off. :sick:

I hope it looks better today.

Archived