Virginia Beach Stores, Retail, and Restaurants

vdogg

• 1 month later...

It's funny how this article starts with this: 

Imagine a grocery store with a thousand types of beer and several aisles of wine. Add to that a cheese shop, a seafood market that sells flounder and squid, and a dining area with a sushi chef and a pub.

Such a place – Wegmans – exists. But not in Virginia Beach. Not yet anyway.

The new Kroger Market Places in the 757 already have all these amenities. It's nothing "NEW"! LOL!

There is work going on (site clearing) near the Chartway FCU (by the former pawn shop and for site of a former restaurant) on Virginia Beach Blvd.  (in the Town Center area.)  Does anyone know whats going on there?  Or can anyone with better research skills than I have find out?

1 hour ago, NFKjeff said:

I do my banking at that Chartway and I asked them about what was being built next door when I was there today. They said it is a Chick-Fil-A.

Nooo, I was hoping they were finally starting to clear things for a new tower over there. We really don't need another Chick-Fil-A...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I do my banking at that Chartway and I asked them about what was being built next door when I was there today. They said it is a Chick-Fil-A.

VB's online permit records show it is a Chick-Fil-A  

On August 23, 2016 at 3:09 AM, urbanvb said:

Anybody have any potential sites for a Wegmans?  I've heard the old rumors for the former HQ at Town Center and speculation that the 'unique retailer' for the Lake Wright driving range is them but I'm curious to see if there's any other large retail developments that could support a Wegmans. 

13 hours ago, likeminded said:

Brennen, out of curiosity, how do you find those records?

https://citizenaccess.vbgov.com

Chesapeake uses the same system if you're interested. 

https://aca3.accela.com/Chesapeake/

I also looked to see if Norfolk uses a similar system (they don't) but did come across this:  https://batchgeo.com/map/64a1948c2f9487b290d8f12f798b9859

Map application that accomplishes the same thing as the databases.

Edited by Brennen
Added info for Norfolk

On 8/30/2016 at 1:44 AM, Brennen said:

https://citizenaccess.vbgov.com

Chesapeake uses the same system if you're interested. 

https://aca3.accela.com/Chesapeake/

I also looked to see if Norfolk uses a similar system (they don't) but did come across this:  https://batchgeo.com/map/64a1948c2f9487b290d8f12f798b9859

Map application that accomplishes the same thing as the databases.

I've tried searching every way I can think of and I simply cannot find it.  I guess perhaps I don't know how to use the search system properly.

On 8/12/2016 at 6:56 AM, baobabs727 said:

My source tells me that a unique-to-the-region national restaurant concept will be coming to Lynnhaven Mall in the recent redevelopment/addition (across from the new L.L. Bean). It's probably the one people request the most in this area. Unfortunately, the name cannot be confirmed right yet.

Ah... maybe Shake Shack or something along those lines?

Personally, there are a lot of fast-casual chains in DC that would work well here. Cava Grill, Nando's and La Madeleine to name my top three wish list (being as we are getting Bonchon in Norfolk).

22 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

^^Cava Grill just announced an urban (the Fan/VCU) location in Richmond today, so I'd say Cava in HR is on the boards, they're slowly making their way down from the northeast like Wegmans

Well that is good to hear. I see on their website that they are doing a hard push to expand in Southern CA as well so I was thinking that would put the quash on us getting one. 

The food is very good and the prices are aligned with Chiptloe. If you haven't been, check it out! 

On 8/17/2016 at 5:59 PM, urbanvb said:

Meh. The food on the website does not even look good. The menu is way too many pages and way too many different cuisines. Unique as in "slightly lower budget Cheesecake Factory? I do hope this is not what  boabas is referring to below, especially since I don't think this is the most requested place in our area. 

On 8/12/2016 at 6:56 AM, baobabs727 said:

My source tells me that a unique-to-the-region national restaurant concept will be coming to Lynnhaven Mall in the recent redevelopment/addition (across from the new L.L. Bean). It's probably the one people request the most in this area. Unfortunately, the name cannot be confirmed right yet.

On September 1, 2016 at 2:29 AM, likeminded said:

I've tried searching every way I can think of and I simply cannot find it.  I guess perhaps I don't know how to use the search system properly.

It's under the planning tab. The building permits don't identify it yet (I believe those permits are for site development). 

7 hours ago, JPN0731 said:

Meh. The food on the website does not even look good. The menu is way too many pages and way too many different cuisines. Unique as in "slightly lower budget Cheesecake Factory? I do hope this is not what  boabas is referring to below, especially since I don't think this is the most requested place in our area. 

I disagree. I think it looks pretty tasty and, while there are a lot of options, if they can pull them off well, then so be it.  They seem to be very popular in Connecticut, so I shall be looking forward to at least giving them a try.  I would say; however, that it would surprise me if it was considered the "most requested place in our area" as it would seem not many outside of Connecticut have heard of them before. 

I think it would be great if a Portillo's (www.portillos.com) came to the area!  I believe they are entering a phase of aggressive expansion....

I sat on the information for months and then didn't follow up to reconfirm. The announcement timing was merely coincidental to my reportage. This is not the restaurant to which I was referring. Not sure what happened. The Outlets and IKEA perhaps?

Maggiano's has been very highly sought after by many folks around here since before the advent of VB Town Center...which brought with it most all of the other most requested eateries for the time period.  

Anyway, I have no reason to believe that they are not still committed to coming here.

As for Maggie McFly's, I'll reserve judgment.  However, with 40 craft beers on tap, a large and eclectic menu plus the promise of a good time, MM's looks intriguing at the very least. 

Edited by baobabs727