Roanoke Stores and Retail

soloextreme

In addition to the proposed Gander Mountain and Camping world stores, another outdoors store, Sportsman's Warehouse, cased in Midvale, Utah, is planning to build a 48,000-square-foot store in Roanoke. story

Sportsman's warehouse representatives said that Roanoke's abundance of nearby outdoor activites attracted them to Roanoke, which will house their first store in Virginia. The fact that large outdoors retailers are attracted by the outdoor amenities surrounding Roanoke will help make those amenities more visible to the general public.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that some sort of discount fashion jewelry store has gone in the space formerly occupied by Kirklands in Valley View. It's quite sad that something like that had to be put in there, especially around some of the nicer stores in the mall. I think Valley View must be having problems renting spaces, to put in something like that as well as the dollar store near Macy's upstairs, when I inquired as to the status of the District a mall employee said they were still trying to rent the spaces. Blue Ridge Outdoors, a somewhat larger store, will also be pulling out completely, which will leave that space open as well as a few upstairs. Why retailers are so hesitant to give Roanoke a try, I don't know. Carrabba's and Abuelo's remain packed nearly all the time, every time I've been to Carrabba's at dinner we've had to wait to get in, so it can't be argued that there's not money to make here.

• 1 month later...

I had to go to work this moring, so I missed the official ribbon cutting, but I did stop by tonight after work.

The overall operation is first-rate. The layout will take some getting used to, but it made a lot of sense. The cart escalators and underground parking were a hit with customers and very cool to use. The interior is far more contemporary than any store in town. It had an upscale feel like The Fresh Market, but the variety and prices of Kroger; a very good combination.

I was not impressed with the produce section, but the prepared foods and meats made up for them. The fried chicken is off the chain :)

Steven thanks for the update. I heard from a family friend who has lived in the Roanoke area for about 10 years and has missed Ukrop's every day of it. She said that the store was packed. While there, she spoke to a manager saying how thankful she was they opened a store in Roanoke, and he mentioned that the crowds were way beyond their expectations for the opening. She said the news in Roanoke reported that by 3 pm (a little over halfway through the day), over 3,000 transactions had been made which is what the larger stores in Richmond do on busy days from open to close. What was disappointing about the produce section out of curiousity?

• 3 weeks later...

This could have gone on the restaurant forum, but it includes some retail so I'm posting it here. Roanoke's 2nd Panera Bread and 2nd Barnes and Noble opened this week at Valley View. An (semi)independent coffee shop, 'High Point Coffee' opened on Brambleton avenue amidsts a recent surge of new Starbucks popping up throughout Roanoke. And two new BBQ restaurants add to dining choices in the valley. Pit Boss opened a few weeks ago on Brambleton and Blues BBQ is set to open soon on Market St. full story

I know this doesn't deal with Roanoke, but it was the most convenient place to post. Has anyone else hard that Dillard's and "other higher-end retail" will be moving into the new "mall" slated in Lynchburg? I learned of this information today, and was truly blown away. Lynchburg has a hard enough time supporting Macy's, how will they ever support a Dillard's? It just doesn't seem possible.

How does Lynchburg compare to Roanoke in demographics and such? Last I knew, Roanoke was larger and demographics were more appealing. Has this changed?

It is widely rumored in Lynchburg that they are going to build an open-air Short Pump-style mall at the corner of 460 and 29. Essentially, Liberty is going to build the mall and I believe try to get most of the tenants in River Ridge to come to their new property, although I have also heard that several higher end stores, such as Dillards, would be a part of the new mall. What it boils down to is Liberty wants to land River Ridge currently sits on to expand its campus.

There is another very nice development in the works in western Lynchburg that will include another Target, a Lowe's, Panera Bread and a stadium-seat movie theatre. It really does boggle the mind sometimes when you look at development in Lynchburg and development in Roanoke. Roanoke has FAR more people and a FAR great median income and per capita income. I think having a large college in Liberty really helps Lynchburg out with some things.

Roanoke has so much potential, it just needs a developer with the vision and dollars to come in and make some change happen.

It sounds like the mall at 460 and 29 is a go, especially if they can get Belk, Macy's and JCPenney to come over from River Ridge. If at least two of those stores move over, and the likelihood is high, River Ridge is effectively dead. Sears and Value City probably wouldn't move, and it's doubtful if the developer would want them at a new mall anyway.

The simple fact is the Lynchburg has more desirable, developabale land for retail than Roanoke. That's pretty much the reason for the explosive growth.

I agree with that Steven, Roanoke is already far more developed than Lynchburg, plus Roanoke has more hills and mountains to combat than Lynchburg.

That's one point I bring up with people in regards to growth in Lynchburg and in Roanoke. It appears, just surveying the land, that Lynchburg is growing a far greater clip than Roanoke, although statistics would indicate it's closer than it would appear. I think part of that is that Lynchburg is so wide open and you can see the growth, particularly the homes in Forest. In Roanoke though, sometimes you have to make a twist or a turn off 221 or some other road to see new residential development.

At some point in the next few years, I think Slate Hill will finally start getting some big stores. And perhaps on the tail of that development, a major overhaul of Tanglewood.

As far as Southern Botetourt/eastern Roanoke County, I think the alt/220 corridor (Cloverdale Road) between 460 and I81 would be a wise location for retail. Walmart thought the intersection with 460 was a good spot. I don't know how many big parcels of flat, open land are left through there though.

Archived