Roanoke Stores and Retail

soloextreme

"Banana Republic, Chico's, J. Crew, Delia's, Forever 21, Anthropologie, and Ann Taylor."

So we're definitely getting one of those huh? I guess if we're getting one, but all the spaces in the District are filled, that means we're only getting one of the above mentioned?

I'll guess the one you said is definitely coming is Anthropologie, because I heard that mentioned by someone else last week.

I'll work on a map later tonight and post it on here.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just slapped this together in 10-15 minutes. Locations of some places are approximate, just to show relative location. I'm sure someone else will do something more detailed & accurate, but this should give out-of-towners a reasonable idea.

roanokemapnu1.jpg

"Banana Republic, Chico's, J. Crew, Delia's, Forever 21, Anthropologie, and Ann Taylor."

So we're definitely getting one of those huh? I guess if we're getting one, but all the spaces in the District are filled, that means we're only getting one of the above mentioned?

I'll guess the one you said is definitely coming is Anthropologie, because I heard that mentioned by someone else last week.

My map of The District doesn't have Anthropologie, so I don't know if they're coming or not. But one thing on that list is definately coming, if not more.

My map of The District doesn't have Anthropologie, so I don't know if they're coming or not. But one thing on that list is definately coming, if not more.

I was gonna say, I doubt an Anthropologie would come before something like a J. Crew or Banana Republic.

So your really killin me here, Stevenrocks. I am simply DYING to know what it is! Do you have ANY idea when it will be announced to the public?

So your really killin me here, Stevenrocks. I am simply DYING to know what it is! Do you have ANY idea when it will be announced to the public?
I have no idea when it wil be officially announced. But it'll probably be sooner than later.

I was told today that The Body Shop is definitely coming to the District. It was from another mall employee so I'm not sure if it has any truth behind it. But she seemed to think she was right. Anyone heard anything about maybe getting one? Roanoke needs it!
I agree that Roanoke needs The Body Shop, but it's not on my map. It's still very possible that it might be there though.

Here's another map showing some retail/development points of interest in Roanoke. It is more detailed in some aspects and less detailed in others in comparison to BGW's map. Sorry about the font, I did this in PAINT and I didn't know how to change the font.

valleycloseup.jpg

I am against Wal-Mart entirely for many humanitarian and economic reasons, but I'm particularly against this new one because of its location adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway and because I think it will cause traffic nightmares on that stretch of 220. The scenic beauty of the BR Pkwy is under attack in the Roanoke Valley more than anywhere else along its entire length. However, I always will support there being one less Wal-Mart within the city limits. Look out Valley View Wal-Mart, you

We discussed this Wal*Mart moving thing in business class, most of us were against. This will put in jeopardy not only Blue Ridge Parkway but the old 220. Why not close the North Roanoke one, the South Roanoke location and open one in an old building DT, brings more people that wouldnt come to DT, but then it would hurt other businesses if it came in DT. The city of Roanoke will still benefit from Wal*Mart's possible new location, in the millions.

We discussed this Wal*Mart moving thing in business class, most of us were against. This will put in jeopardy not only Blue Ridge Parkway but the old 220. Why not close the North Roanoke one, the South Roanoke location and open one in an old building DT, brings more people that wouldnt come to DT, but then it would hurt other businesses if it came in DT. The city of Roanoke will still benefit from Wal*Mart's possible new location, in the millions.
The valley would benefit overall from the additional tax revenue, but the City would loose the tax revenue that the Wal-Mart generates at Hunting Hills. There's also the visual pollution a big box center would create right at one of the Parkway's more prominent intersections.

There's no existing building downtown that would work well enough that Wal-Mart would close both the North and South Roanoke stores. The idea in itself is cool, but in practice it would be harder to accomplish with the parking, infrastructutre and flooding issues that could generate from putting it there. Not to mention the potential impact on downtown merchants.

Ukrops will open in February or March, and will (obviously) not make the November deadline for 9 million in tax incentives. http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/85594

Well, at least theres a lot of progress on the construction, next time I'll be in Roanoke will probably be the weekend of Oct 20th through 22nd. I'll be sure to check out the Ivy Market site. With underground parking and above ground parking decks, this will be the most urban shopping center in the region.

They had a TON of site issues to deal with for this project, which is the main factor in the delayed opening.

At 58,000sf, the Roanoke Ukrop's will slightly larger than some of their newer stores in Richmond and Williamsburg, but smaller than their largest stores.... The stores at Chesterfield Towne Center and Short Pump in Richmond are around 64,000sf.

Are you sure about that? I don't think it's as large as the CTC and SP stores, but I could be wrong. I was excluding the YMCA and doctor's offices that are both a part of the store, but including those I guess it probably would be the biggest.

I dunno... I eat lunch in the Rolfe store 1-2 times per week and I'm not sure it's much, if any, bigger than Short Pump.

I do hope the Roanoke store is done better than the Stratford Hills store, which is poorly laid out, lacks self-checkouts, and seems to be hit-and-miss on several items I buy regularly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Steven,

Random question here, but anyway you could post the map of the district at VV you have on here? Maybe white out the stores you have listed on there, that way you don't spoil anything? I was there yesterday and trying to picture how it is going to come out in my head and I couldn't get it to make sense.

Steven,

Random question here, but anyway you could post the map of the district at VV you have on here? Maybe white out the stores you have listed on there, that way you don't spoil anything? I was there yesterday and trying to picture how it is going to come out in my head and I couldn't get it to make sense.

Archived