Roanoke Stores and Retail

soloextreme

Looks like Waldenbooks, Kirklands, and that Art Gallery Store will all be pulling out of Roanoke.

I spoke to an associate at Kirklands and she said that the rent is just too high for them to survive within the mall. She said it keeps going up and that it will continue to go up until the store manager is able to weed out some of the smaller "ma' and pop" stores. It makes since. With the direction that VV is headed I think it is easy to say that some newer stores not yet in the Roanoke market will be making their debut in the near future!

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Waldenbooks, Kirklands, and that Art Gallery Store will all be pulling out of Roanoke.

I spoke to an associate at Kirklands and she said that the rent is just too high for them to survive within the mall. She said it keeps going up and that it will continue to go up until the store manager is able to weed out some of the smaller "ma; and poo" stores. It makes since. With the direction that VV is headed I think it is easy to say that some newer stores not yet in the Roanoke market will be making their debut in the near future!

From my last trip to Roanoke, I have a question about the malls there. Tanglewood seems to sit in the middle (or on the edge) of a higher income demographic, but the mall's store mix was just kind of run of the mill. Valley View is obviously the dominant mall, with better tenants, but the surrounding area seemed to have less of an influent demographic. Just curious about this and how this happened. Seems the two malls should have switched places so to speak.

From my last trip to Roanoke, I have a question about the malls there. Tanglewood seems to sit in the middle (or on the edge) of a higher income demographic, but the mall's store mix was just kind of run of the mill. Valley View is obviously the dominant mall, with better tenants, but the surrounding area seemed to have less of an influent demographic. Just curious about this and how this happened. Seems the two malls should have switched places so to speak.

• 3 weeks later...

The Ukrop's sign is up, the roof is on, and they are clearly working hard on the interior. There is no entrance or functional parking area to speak of yet though. Doesn't look like it should be a whole lot longer. They must think the same thing because I saw a billboard with a Ukrops add just the other day.

Bland Painter, the developer of Ivy Market (Ukrops) shopping center, says Ukrops will open this spring. Ukrops plans to begin job interviews on Feb. 15th. Meanwhile an opening date for the Walgreens is up in the air, with Walgreens saying they don't know when they will open the Ivy Market location. Whitney Painter, spokesperson for the developer said the Walgreens store will open by the end of this year. full Story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived