SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

The CBJ did an article on the apartments that are to be built on Morehead. I know I read someone mentioning the project here on the boards, but I can't seem to find it. Anywho, here's the link:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori...5163200^1493565

The thing that I enjoyed when read was how they made a special point on saying that it would be "high density" and have street level retail from what it sounds like. Hopefully we will hear more information soon about the project and get some renderings. Ground breaking is slated for later in the year if the city approves.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no one has said anything, but it seems the website for SouthHaus is now up and running (before it was just a coming soon type page). Floors plans as well as MORE RENDERINGS are up!!! There is an arial view of "the plaza" and i love its curvature.

It looks like alot of the exterior units at Southaus are no more than 10 feet wide. Those are some narrow units! I don't know if the market is ready for this, as I know I wouldn't want to live in a 10 foot wide unit. 20 feet, yes, 10 feet, no. Heck I could probably live in 15 feet wide but (especially after examining the Southaus unit renderings) you barely have enough room to walk by your bed and the TV is right in your face in the living area. It's pretty much like a college dorm.

It looks like alot of the exterior units at Southaus are no more than 10 feet wide. Those are some narrow units! I don't know if the market is ready for this, as I know I wouldn't want to live in a 10 foot wide unit. 20 feet, yes, 10 feet, no. Heck I could probably live in 15 feet wide but (especially after examining the Southaus unit renderings) you barely have enough room to walk by your bed and the TV is right in your face in the living area. It's pretty much like a college dorm.

Where are these 1000 sq ft apts in NYC because I am very interested in knowing, my girlfriend and I are moving into an $1830$ a month "2 bedroom" in December, and that is in Brooklyn. I think Charlotte is definately ready for units "this small" I don't know why they wouldn't be. They are just shotgun condos thats it, the Vue has them, as do other condo projects in town. I don't understand raintree21, how they seem so inappropriate, they are mostly two stories.

Where are these 1000 sq ft apts in NYC because I am very interested in knowing, my girlfriend and I are moving into an $1830$ a month "2 bedroom" in December, and that is in Brooklyn. I think Charlotte is definately ready for units "this small" I don't know why they wouldn't be. They are just shotgun condos thats it, the Vue has them, as do other condo projects in town. I don't understand raintree21, how they seem so inappropriate, they are mostly two stories.

Now that I look at it, Southaus may be even less than 10 feet in unit width. I mean, check out this pic:

Bedroom.jpg

The bed is probably 6 feet long, and it looks like there is a 2 foot pathway by the end of the bed. If I had to guess, the rendering makes it look like 8-9 feet, 10 if you're lucky, but probably not.

Some people can live in these small spaces, but I still think it's questionable how large a market supports units designed with such narrow bodies.

Look at the following:

Living-Kitchen.jpg

The TV is practically in your face.

I'd say that's it's closer to 10 feet. Beds aren't 6 feet anymore. Most beds are 6 1/2-7 feet in length and that's a good 3 feet between the bed and the wall but I definitely agree with you again that the width of these places are way to small for the prices they are asking. We are not dense enough yet to have these type of units. Maybe if they were selling these at a very LOW cost as affordable housing, then could I understand it.

I'm not sure why anyone assumes we shouldn't have these unit types....they are selling well. I checked upon this floorplan to purchase as an investment unit, and 5 out of the 6 units I was interested in had already sold. I think the market determines if we should or should not have these units, and it seems the market shows thier is a demand.

As a society, many people are changing their attitudes about their living arrangements. Personal space is no longer a premium if their is suitable public space to suplement it. Before I was married, I rented a relatively large 1-bedroom apartment, and it was most unused because I was never there except to sleep, and make myself the occasional meal, and to watch maybe 30 minutes of TV a day. I never entertained, though I had plenty of space to. There were some common areas at the community that I did use to entertain on occasion, but mostly, it consisted of meeting friends at restaurants, bars, parks, etc.

I see no reason that a person wouldn't consider this type of space, especially if they work downtown, and can spend their social life downtown or in the South End. A lot of people just don't want the extra space to decorate or clean.

Edit. Mo, they're fairly pricey. $350/sf for an uptown view unit.

For clarification, I have been to the SouthHaus sales center and the units are just under 10' wide. There is product similar to this already in the Charlotte market i.e. Gateway Village, Vue, and in NoDa. I don't think it was BlueSky's intention to create an unusual density or narrow unit, but instead to introduce a new way of living to Charlotte. If you look at their marketing and if you read the Next Big Thing, you'd notice that SouthHaus is very European in nature and that the SouthHaus team even went to the Netherlands to do product research. I think that it is great that they are thinking outside of the box and brining something new and fresh to the market. They have a Nana wall installed in their sales center and it's a really cool and different feature. Besides the standard sliding glass door and the garage doors at Central 27, which don't even compare to this product, there is nothing else like this in the market. We all have to agree that each product is not for everyone, but they have had great sales thus far so they are obviously capturing some market (including myself).

It is great to use the dutch style of long skinny units. It really helps you to use the space very efficiently, but you will have the wall space, and one long dimension to not make you feel crowded. I'm sure this will not be universally liked, but it certainly has its virtues.

The dutch have had that type of housing for hundreds of years, but maybe that is was to make them feel at home when the fishermen had to be out on the boats or vice versa. Another theory is that when they are wasted, they aren't too far from a wall to hold onto. Not to play into too many stereotypes or anything.

Wow. I'm surprised that needs a tower crane.

On another note, I've seen Tony Pressely's plans for the Design Center property. From the article it sounds like he's trying to find a developer to make those plans (or something like them) go forward. The renderings I saw were two 10 - 12 story brick buildings. Retail on the bottom floor and residential above for one and an office mix for the other. VERY pedistrian oriented although I think I remember it having a parking garage. One of the buildings had a cool clock tower/mill tower focal point that was very modern looking and blended well with the rest of the project. Cool lighting at night.

I thought the plans looked perfect, so it'll be cool to see what they come up with.

There is an apartment complex that was called "The Difference" off Sugar Creek road that was built in this syle in the 1970s. i.e. long narrow units with just one sliding glass door at the end. They built them this way to allow people the nicety of living in an apartment with nobody having adjoining walls and no one living above or below you. At the time, they made the point this was a European design and they were considered fairly upscale. It is still there, but it has since been renamed Heritage East and that is a dangerous area now. (a clerk in the former 7-11 across the street shot a robber dead just this past week) They also did not stick to this kind of design and went back to more traditional design as people complained of feeling like they were living in a tunnel.

This design is also used quite a bit on lower end condos on the coast because they build individual condo units in a factory, and the narrow design allows the units to be trucked to the site on a truck. They use a crane to stack up individual units to form a building. They have also been doing this since the 70s but generally these kind of units are the least desired in places such as Myrtle Beach.

I personally don't like it as it is basically a concrete tube and it reminds me of the Bruce Willis's dystopian apartment in the movie "The 5th Element".

Living-Kitchen.jpg

Archived