SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

Driving down South Boulevard last night, I saw some sign workers putting up a Nikko sign on the front of the Arlington ... it would seem that Nikko is moving across the driveway to a street front slot at the Arlington.

Sure will be nice to see something in that spot after being empty for years ...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthHaus does pride itself on its skyline views, if you get a unit facing that way. Looking at Dubone's construction map, it doesn't look like there is anything immediately in the way from the 4th floor. the 2 story Lowe's which has a 4 story front will be a block away, but shouldn't obstruct any views, and also the Greenhawk development will be on the other side of S. Blvd (10 stories), but wouldn't be in the way of the city views.

I couldn't say anything about appreciation, but I will say that S. End is a hot area right now. There's a lot of growth, upscale developments, and nice urban planning/features that are making and transforming from a once thug-filled, pawn shop lined area to one of the most desired, especially by the younger generation (20's-30's), IMO. The days of cheap property in S. End is long gone, but it didn't seem that South Haus was too out of line, starting at the 150's, for a small unit, compared to some of the other properties that are more for a less desireable building. Plus you'll have onsite retail, and gorgeous building.

It is going to take several years though, before "south of south end" becomes a built-out community. It's a significant wait.

I still give some occasional thought to moving closer in... but the light rail line is helping keep me in Starmount for bit longer. If I moved, I'd just get a resale or a rental in one of the existing developments in Dilworth. For me, having some nearby retail already established, trumps being the first person to occupy a unit.

Is it my imagination, or have all the project sites in South End just taken off in the past few weeks? Both the Millenium and the Circle have suddenly jumped ahead with site prep and foundation work after being lifeless for months. Demolition down by New Bern has jumped forward. SouthHaus's site is still dead but that could change any day. Its almost like everyone was holding their breaths for the blue line to open.

Is it my imagination, or have all the project sites in South End just taken off in the past few weeks? Both the Millenium and the Circle have suddenly jumped ahead with site prep and foundation work after being lifeless for months. Demolition down by New Bern has jumped forward. SouthHaus's site is still dead but that could change any day. Its almost like everyone was holding their breaths for the blue line to open.

Nice find, I hadn't seen that view. I do like the terminating vista, and agree, this should be the location for the retail, with the apartment leasing office at the Hawkins corner. Certainly they would find the Camden "corner" easier to lease and a higher rates. Oh well.....my primary gripe is still the visitor park lot fronting Tremont.

I browsed the thread for comments on The Block at Church (the Ryan Homes development). Back in January, sentiment appeared to be negative.

I'm wondering if this is still the case or, perhaps, with any new developments from the past year, the edge has been taken off. I'd be curious to hear from anyone with opinions re. location, design, price, etc. If there's anywhere that I think the market fails to serve a segment, it's those looking for 3 bedrooms under $400K. For all its faults, this looks like one of the only project where that's feasable.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I browsed the thread for comments on The Block at Church (the Ryan Homes development). Back in January, sentiment appeared to be negative.

I'm wondering if this is still the case or, perhaps, with any new developments from the past year, the edge has been taken off. I'd be curious to hear from anyone with opinions re. location, design, price, etc. If there's anywhere that I think the market fails to serve a segment, it's those looking for 3 bedrooms under $400K. For all its faults, this looks like one of the only project where that's feasable.

I was very negative at first. That has changed. I still can't say I think these are ideal, but they aren't horrible. They also won't, IMO, stand out so much once the surrounding blocks have been built up. Right now they somewhat stand alone. I also feel, and I think you are implying this above, that the price for what you get has really benefitted some that might want to live in this area but otherwise either couldn't afford to or wouldn't want something considerably smaller.

If the buying public has any say, and obviously they do and are quite important :) , they have voted a heavy YES for this project -- these sell as soon as they are released and available.

Thanks. This is helpful (or at least reassuring). I'm in the market and want something around this price, but I need 3 BRs. I educate myself, primarily, as an urban resident and, secondarily, as a buyer, here. So, for better or worse, my sentiment as a market participant is partially molded from what gets posted by others on this site.

All of that aside, are these units out of the ground already? I live near the site (I don't know for certain where it is - but I definitely know I live near it) and haven't noticed this project.

Honestly I do not like the aesthetic qualities of the project either, however I do think they are functional and welcome to the consumer. I have been in one of the units for a tailgate party, and they have quality interiors, and are great for the money. I am bothered by a few of the design elements, but if you are looking for a 3 bedroom in an urbane setting, i don't think there is a better bet for the money. I again will be enjoying a tailgate party at the block on saturday and so I'll try to snap some pictures.

Archived