SouthEnd Projects

atlrvr

Interesting that his lesson from it (presumably bad sales) had nothing to do with the product type but rather the poor design. Too bad condo shoppers are less discerning on design.

Is there any way to stop Branch? Can we petition to have his license revoked? Is it too late to put in a protest for the rezoning, or do we have to be adjoining land owners?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to go Conformity!!! Getting props from Mr. Dougie ! Definately a reason to be a bit proud. Congrats again, on a one of a kind design. Hopefully your style will be followed by other developers in other deserving areas of the city. My hats off to ya'! :thumbsup:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16583175.htm

A2

:blush:

This is going to make so many people so happy...

Branch just can't get enough of squatting and unloading on Southend. Just got wind that he is scrapping the rest of Southend Showplace (not that this isn't good, though) and its commercial storefronts. Supposedly Ryan homes is finishing out the rest of the site with townhomes. YAY!!! More suburban quality low-end crap.

That is a relief, to a degree.

I still am so surprised that the design is moving forward as is appears. Does no one on that team recognize that the market will consider them ugly and that that can affect how well they'll sell, and their value?

The wave of mediocrity continues to sweep over the South End. Here is the rendering for the proposed apartment building located at S. Tryon and Bland, where the Carroll Alignment building is today. This view is from the LRT tracks.

post-1289-1170949565_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1170949565_thumb.jpg

It's where the signal shed for the LRT will be housed....I do at least like that aspect of this project.

It just seems that Charlotte architecture has gotten REALLY boring. This project isn't offensive, but I would never notice the difference between this and Camden South End as I drive down South Blvd....it's just monotonous, which is a shame with the very inviting Camden/Tryon intersection so close by.....the area really could be special, but no.

It looks like every other 2 - 3 stories of brick, a story or two of fake stucco, flat or flying roof project. YAWN. Dilworth Walk, Gateway, Camden, Latta Pavilion, etc etc etc.

Who is doing this? Is there a retail or commercial component? I'm getting concerned that there is going to be too little retail in the area when it is so ripe for it.

A company out of Houston. Here is a blurb from the CBJ a couple of months ago about this project.

Dinerstein is proposing a $40 million project it calls Millennium, a 272-unit apartment complex at 1305 S. Tryon St. Dinerstein plans two, five-story residential buildings and a 385-car parking deck on the 3-acre site, says Brian Dinerstein, vice president of development. The apartments will lease for about $1.50 per square foot, or a range of $1,087 to about $2,100 per month.

I agree that the Dinerstein/Millieum apartments do look bland...but on the bright side here is all the things the developer has agreed to do:

City receives from Developer

Benefit of screening a metal utility building (a signal house) with a brick enclosure within the apartment complex at an estimated developer cost of $100,000.

Bury the overhead power lines along College Street for an added cost of $30,000.

Upgrade entryways along the rail corridor to brownstone design at an added cost of $30,000.

Upgrade sidewalks along street frontage - $20,000 (upgrade to pavers over concrete).

Additional landscaping and trees beyond what is required for the development - $10,000.

Property tax value revenues for the new $31 million development will increase from $33,598/year to estimated $420,000/year.

that was one shocking thing about charlotte when i moved here - there are no buried powerlines. it is incredibly ugly to see power lines draped everywhere. i lived in raleigh for a bit and nearly all (at least it feels that way) are buried. they do get the occasional hurricane but it looks great and isnt thaaat expensive (or is it?)

I've not been too involved in burying powerlines except in some work I did with one project, NoDa Lofts. That was a small project and burying the lines there (which wasn't done) was quoted by Duke as $20,000 - $40,000. It is more expensive than you would think. I think the developer told me burying them around Latta Pavilion on East was over $80,000.

You have to have easy access for repairs, digging up the sidewalks, blocking roadways, etc etc.

There is much more to it than digging a trench and dropping the lines off the poles.

Archived