Tallahassee: Restaurants

Florida

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go to Beef's regularly and have seen a number of "minority" folk eating there. I don't know what TJ's problem was. If we're to believe his logic, only white people shop at Publix (as I've seen very few commercials with black folks in them) as an example.

• 3 weeks later...

As you guys know, EL IHOP is suppose to open today. If anyone ventures into EL IHOP this week, I'd love to know if the scent of tacos, burritos, cilantro etc is still in the air since this place was El Chico for what, over 25 years?

I do wish EL IHOP luck, but man that sign. When driving on North Monroe, I often want to run my car right through that monster sign b/c it's like a beckon in the night pulling you in.

I went to El IHOP today. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. They had a manager trainer on site from an IHOP in Ocala. No scent of Mexican food Poonther! :lol:

Hours are 6:00am - 10:00pm, and I'm told that they'll convert to 24 hours "eventually".

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of new restaurants, my wife and I were planning on going to Las Brazas on the Parkway. We hadn't gone in a while and really like it. When we got there they were closed and note on the door said they re-opened on Mahan Dr. as Habana Boardwalk. We tried it and were greatly disappointed. They had a special of Paella (sp?) which was supposed to be full of seafood. But when they served it, I was a pile of mushy yellow rice obviously from a box with one old mussel on top. When the waitress finally came back (it seemed she was the only waitress for the small dining area) I asked her why there were no shrimp, scallops, fish, calamari, etc. She apologized, took it back and a few minutes later brought it back with exactly 3 shrimp, one tiny piece of fish, no scallops and no callamari. The shrimp were old, mushy and had freezer burn -- probably came from a bag. They weren't fresh. And the fish was obviously only a few days from spoilage. Had a bad flavor. My wife had pull pork with onions and a side of black beans and rice. The pork lacked flavor and the black beans and rice? Also tasted like it came from a box. She also ordered sangria but what they brought was red wine with two twists of lemon and several cubes of ice. Even our appatizer was terrible. Ham Croquettes were not made fresh but came from a frozen bag and the "ham" (if you want to call it that) was more like the deviled ham from a can.

According to their website "Habana Boardwalk serves quite possibly the best cuban food in Northern Florida, at extremely reasonable prices" but if that was an example of their "best" then it's not worth going. I paid $15 for a pile of yellow rice from a box, three measly, mushy shrimp and one tiny, nasty tasting piece of fish? Reasonable? No.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and may go back in a couple of months if they are still in business but in my patent-pending "three strikes" system, they've already whiffed a fastball down the middle and foul-tipped on in the stands.

It's sad because when they were Las Brazas they were fantastic but they no longer have the Peruvian dishes I really liked.

Speaking of new restaurants, my wife and I were planning on going to Las Brazas on the Parkway. We hadn't gone in a while and really like it. When we got there they were closed and note on the door said they re-opened on Mahan Dr. as Habana Boardwalk. We tried it and were greatly disappointed. They had a special of Paella (sp?) which was supposed to be full of seafood. But when they served it, I was a pile of mushy yellow rice obviously from a box with one old mussel on top. When the waitress finally came back (it seemed she was the only waitress for the small dining area) I asked her why there were no shrimp, scallops, fish, calamari, etc. She apologized, took it back and a few minutes later brought it back with exactly 3 shrimp, one tiny piece of fish, no scallops and no callamari. The shrimp were old, mushy and had freezer burn -- probably came from a bag. They weren't fresh. And the fish was obviously only a few days from spoilage. Had a bad flavor. My wife had pull pork with onions and a side of black beans and rice. The pork lacked flavor and the black beans and rice? Also tasted like it came from a box. She also ordered sangria but what they brought was red wine with two twists of lemon and several cubes of ice. Even our appatizer was terrible. Ham Croquettes were not made fresh but came from a frozen bag and the "ham" (if you want to call it that) was more like the deviled ham from a can.

According to their website "Habana Boardwalk serves quite possibly the best cuban food in Northern Florida, at extremely reasonable prices" but if that was an example of their "best" then it's not worth going. I paid $15 for a pile of yellow rice from a box, three measly, mushy shrimp and one tiny, nasty tasting piece of fish? Reasonable? No.

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt and may go back in a couple of months if they are still in business but in my patent-pending "three strikes" system, they've already whiffed a fastball down the middle and foul-tipped on in the stands.

It's sad because when they were Las Brazas they were fantastic but they no longer have the Peruvian dishes I really liked.

IHOP on the Parkway is now open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday nights.

Also, does anyone know why Monk's Bar & Grill is changing it's name? The same guys still own the place and are running it, but they're changing it to "Wells Brothers".

I know this is a cheap shot, but perhaps our friend TJ found the name "monk" to be racist? :lol:

Monk's had to change their name and logo because it was already trademarked buy another company in a different state. So next best thing is "Wells Brothers" because they are two brothers.

On a different note, I work at a restaurant which you have probably never tried because it's fairly new, more precisely the concept it new, especially for Tallahassee. Sometimes it's difficult to properly describe what we make because there is really nothing like it and it does not fit in a category. We serve breakfast, lucnh/dinner, and dessert. The restaurant is called The Crepe Vine, and you can check out the website: eatacrepe.com. Watch the videos fist so that you can see what we make and then explore the menu. Also, read the "about us" section for its story.

Let me know what you think, I'm sure you will love it!

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I drove down Magnolia to get to Borders to meet some friends and noticed the Barnhills restaurant is flattened and the area behind is also being cleared. Anyone know what the future holds for that site? The last time I was at Barnhills a few months ago I was told they were bought out by someone. Will this become the new restaurant from new corporate ownership or something else entirely. We didn't go back after that last visit because from top to bottom it was terrible. Bad food. Bad sanitation. Bad service. Bad attitudes. Hopefully something much better will take its place there.

My wife and I drove down Magnolia to get to Borders to meet some friends and noticed the Barnhills restaurant is flattened and the area behind is also being cleared. Anyone know what the future holds for that site? The last time I was at Barnhills a few months ago I was told they were bought out by someone. Will this become the new restaurant from new corporate ownership or something else entirely. We didn't go back after that last visit because from top to bottom it was terrible. Bad food. Bad sanitation. Bad service. Bad attitudes. Hopefully something much better will take its place there.

Yeah and don't forget about the new Walgreen's coming to the corner of Tenn and Monroe. Do we really need one there plus Mag/Micco, P'way/Mag and and CCNE/Mahan? No idea what will become of their empty spaces at P'way Shopping Center or out at Lafayette Place....with the economy the way it is....I expect to see those spaces vacant for awhile. I hope I'm wrong on that one.

I honestly believe there must be some secret hidden law in FL that requires every corner in the state that has a Walgreen's or CVS on it MUST also have the competitor at it or w/in a mile of it. :)

• 1 month later...

Marie Livingston Steakhouse (sp?) has begun to pick up the development pace lately with its new location on Apalachee Parkway. Its starting to take shape nicely with it Stucco and Cement block work and it no longer looks like the owner is doing the work his/her self. Looks like they hired a contractor.

I wonder if anything is going to be developed were Barn-hills use to be on the corner of Magnolia and Apalachee Parkway? It was kinda strange after they closed, the building wasn't demolished or torn down, it was taken apart, which I found kinda odd? Any one have any insight on this?

And has any one been to the New Sonny's BBQ on Capital Circle? Is it basically just more of the same?

Archived