Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bet a quarter there will not be any window "slots" as in the past -- with one possible exception. All along Broad Street, viewers will be able to look directly into a bar and the lobby of the hotel. Sixth Street strollers will peer directly into restaurant space, while along Grace Street there will be a loading dock for condo dwellers.

Commercial space will wrap around the corner of Grace and 5th, and that corner is the one hope for window display.

Hotel loading docks are on 5th Street.

Entry to basement parking will be adjacent to the hotel driveway under the porte corchere at the corner of 5th and Broad.

But don't despair of nostalgia. There is an idea being tossed around that may please those with fond memories of M&R...even if it is not within the building itself. ;)

I'll bet a quarter there will not be any window "slots" as in the past -- with one possible exception. All along Broad Street, viewers will be able to look directly into a bar and the lobby of the hotel. Sixth Street strollers will peer directly into restaurant space, while along Grace Street there will be a loading dock for condo dwellers.

Commercial space will wrap around the corner of Grace and 5th, and that corner is the one hope for window display.

Hotel loading docks are on 5th Street.

Entry to basement parking will be adjacent to the hotel driveway under the porte corchere at the corner of 5th and Broad.

But don't despair of nostalgia. There is an idea being tossed around that may please those with fond memories of M&R...even if it is not within the building itself. ;)

well burt, I anxiously await to hear what the idea will be. Looking forward to it (hopefully).

TCO has a "hiccup". Art Dahlburg is throwing a monkey wrench into the mix and not approving the "Shower pans" that have already been installed. Even though this is not a TCO issue. Go figure Richmond Gov is making issue on something that is not an issue point at this juncture.

TCO has a "hiccup". Art Dahlburg is throwing a monkey wrench into the mix and not approving the "Shower pans" that have already been installed. Even though this is not a TCO issue. Go figure Richmond Gov is making issue on something that is not an issue point at this juncture.

Does this apply to hotel rooms AND condo units? And is it a major stumbling block toward early February opening?

the hiccup applies mostly to the condos, but the TCO is needed for the "owner" to get his tax credits and to move the hotel employees in for training to open in Feb. A lot of money could be lost if they fail to get that TCO for the credits. The hotel could be delayed if the lost time can not be made up. Still days left in the year to get it, but if the city does not back off their demands, then a lot of money will have to be spent to meet the deadline for the credits. They may have to redo all the shower pans in the building...may have to, may not. The issues is how they were installed and the third party approval process dropped the ball until now. The fact that an engineer did not witness all these specialty designed pans installation creates a chain of custody issue that the city is not happy to blindly approve the install.

the hiccup applies mostly to the condos, but the TCO is needed for the "owner" to get his tax credits and to move the hotel employees in for training to open in Feb. A lot of money could be lost if they fail to get that TCO for the credits. The hotel could be delayed if the lost time can not be made up. Still days left in the year to get it, but if the city does not back off their demands, then a lot of money will have to be spent to meet the deadline for the credits. They may have to redo all the shower pans in the building...may have to, may not. The issues is how they were installed and the third party approval process dropped the ball until now. The fact that an engineer did not witness all these specialty designed pans installation creates a chain of custody issue that the city is not happy to blindly approve the install.

Re: the Miller & Rhoads situation, does TCO mean something like "certificate of occupancy?"

Are shower pans drainage paraphanalia, and if so, would it be a major plumbing problem requiring long delays before approval?

Would replacement and re-installation not be the responsibility of the contractor? The Hilton people must be very concerned as well as the prime developer of the property. Corrections in the hotel portion of the building would seem a priority.

From what little info I got, I do not think they are looking to place blame as much as looking to get the TCO. If they fail toget that TCO by Dec 31st, the owner/developer loses a lot of $$$. If they do not get the TCO, they can not move the hotel "in". Meaning, they can not bring employees in for training. They can not bring the "Hotel systems" n like POS and front desk items, linens, etc. Condo or hotel, does not matter they are all part of the same certificate and can not break them apart.

It boils down to the liner under the showers and the city approving the product or installation. If they do not, all needs to be replaced and I am sure it will come down to who approved them, or who made the changes without approval. Did an architect approve it, an engineer, the sub? Do not know. Who is to blame? Dunno, but I do know a lot of important people are running around trying to get a resolution before the end of the year.

From what little info I got, I do not think they are looking to place blame as much as looking to get the TCO. If they fail toget that TCO by Dec 31st, the owner/developer loses a lot of $$$. If they do not get the TCO, they can not move the hotel "in". Meaning, they can not bring employees in for training. They can not bring the "Hotel systems" n like POS and front desk items, linens, etc. Condo or hotel, does not matter they are all part of the same certificate and can not break them apart.

It boils down to the liner under the showers and the city approving the product or installation. If they do not, all needs to be replaced and I am sure it will come down to who approved them, or who made the changes without approval. Did an architect approve it, an engineer, the sub? Do not know. Who is to blame? Dunno, but I do know a lot of important people are running around trying to get a resolution before the end of the year.

If the owner does not get the TCO, there will be plenty of blaming and finger pointing... ...and depositions. I am just saying out of my own expeience in the construction industry.

But the glass is half full... ...the TCO will be issued. Issuing the TCO will keep them out of the "blame game" for the mean time.

Historic restoration tax credits confuse me. I understand that tenants as well as the developer at Ginter Place benefit. Residents pay a very low city property tax for a number of years which gradually escalates over a span of years. I wonder if that will apply to Miller & Rhoads condo residents? I've been told the amount of tax saved may be almost enough to off-set the condo fee in the first few years at Ginter Place.

Relative to shower pans, there must be a gigantic one under the second level swimming pool at M&R. It is almost directly above the hotel's ball room.

So, it appears that Hilton Garden Inn will have its staff fully prepared for a grand opening in early February. Since hotels book groups months and years in advance, they probably have conventioneers and other guests lined up.

The new Richmond Westin at Reynolds Crossing opened its 250 rooms last week.

• 4 weeks later...

The Hilton Garden Inn is aiming for a soft opening during the second week of February. Everything is pretty much finished and employees are in training.

I bet they wish they had been ready for this current weekend since there is a large event going on across the street at the Greater Richmond Convention Center that has filled over 4,000 hotel rooms.

A Public Offering Statement is anticipated for the condo portion of the Miller & Rhoads building. Perhaps the units will be ready for move-in by March...maybe April.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they've removed most if not all of the construction barricades. From street level, it's really looking impressive!

Did you peek in the windows of the hotel lobby? I hear it really looks neat.

I've received floor plans of all 133 condo units and price list. I'd post it here if I knew how. Maybe someone else who has received them could do it.

Did you peek in the windows of the hotel lobby? I hear it really looks neat.

I've received floor plans of all 133 condo units and price list. I'd post it here if I knew how. Maybe someone else who has received them could do it.

I thought I was looking into a lobby window, but it was just a storefront. I'm hoping to go out sometime between tomorrow and Monday to snap some pics.

I hate to be a downer, but I heard yesterday from two people whose opinions I respect that they were very dissapointed in the interior of the hotel. They said all Hilton did was take the typical Hilton Garden Inn decor package and applied it. If true, it's ashame they didn't use more imagination and give this place the look it deserves.

I hate to be a downer, but I heard yesterday from two people whose opinions I respect that they were very dissapointed in the interior of the hotel. They said all Hilton did was take the typical Hilton Garden Inn decor package and applied it. If true, it's ashame they didn't use more imagination and give this place the look it deserves.

The big disappointment was when construction began and everyone learned the hotel had been downgraded from a full-line Hiltion to a Garden Inn variety.

The hotel has been adapted throughout along HGI decor lines. But the original marble floor remains in some areas on the ground level and the tall columns still soar to the high ceiling. It's not going to evoke gasps of awe, but it's quite attractive and will offer excellent 3-star hotel amenities including full-service restaurant, lobby bar and a ballroom. It will "soft" open during the second week of February.

Nor are the condo units as luxurious as some in other buildings, but they are considerably less expensive on the whole -- starting at $135K for a one bedroom interior unit and rising to almost $600K for certain terraced penthouses. Parking is provided in the basement of the old department store for all tenants and hotel guests.

Archived