Miller & Rhoads Hilton Hotel/Condo Conversion

tombarnes

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Any more news about what restaurants are going to show up in this project. We could really use a Capital Grille here in Richmond, being the capital and all.

No news that I've heard, jbjust. How about a LEGAL SEAFOOD?

Considering Richmond's shortage of good fish places, the Boston based restaurant might be an idea worth investigating.

Tell us about CAPITAL GRILLE. I'm not familiar with it.

The HILTON GARDEN INN and M&R condos are on schedule for an early '09 opening. It seems odd to me that a sales office for the condos has not yet been set up, but according to a story in today's Style Weekly, lower priced condos in the downtown area are expected to move relatively well considering the National economy.

And what about PIE in the Berry Burk building at 6th and Grace? Any movement there?

Capital Grille is an outstanding steakhouse that has a couple dozen locations nation-wide, generally one or two per state (though there are a bunch in Florida). Price-wise, it is closer to Ruth's Chris than Mortons, but is very accessible and personally my favorite restaurant in D.C. It is certainly a destination restaurant and something that would pull people downtown without really competing with the Fan and Carytown restaurants too much I think.

Capital Grille

Capital Grille is an outstanding steakhouse that has a couple dozen locations nation-wide, generally one or two per state (though there are a bunch in Florida). Price-wise, it is closer to Ruth's Chris than Mortons, but is very accessible and personally my favorite restaurant in D.C. It is certainly a destination restaurant and something that would pull people downtown without really competing with the Fan and Carytown restaurants too much I think.

Capital Grille

That would be a great choice for the 6th and Grace corner of M&R, jb. It would attract theatre/concert-goers at Center Stage, legal people at the new Federal Court House and legislators when they are convening at the Capitol.

At present, MORTON'S in The Slip is the only steak house downtown.

That would be a great choice for the 6th and Grace corner of M&R, jb. It would attract theatre/concert-goers at Center Stage, legal people at the new Federal Court House and legislators when they are convening at the Capitol.

At present, MORTON'S in The Slip is the only steak house downtown.

Bookbinders...is that considered a steak house? Either would be great at that location in M&R.

I know you can't give details, but have you heard any names?

I know they are targeting several different concepts and have received interest from renowned national restaurants. One space is envisioned for an upscale, white table cloth chophouse/seafood concept, another as a trendy bar scene with lighter fare, and a third which is up in the air. We'll see how things pan out.

New rendering... from the retail leasing flyer

mrrend.jpg

Although the electric sign proposed for the building's top doesn't say it all, the hotel's official name is a mouthfull -- "The Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Downtown Hotel."

The Great American Grill (standard restaurant of most Hilton Garden Inns) will be on the ground level along the L shaped wall opposite the porte corchere.

Other leased restaurant spaces will be on the corner of 6th and Broad (extreme left in this rendering) and at the corner of 6th and Grace (not visible here) directly across from The Carpenter Theatre.

A Large commercial space will be at the corner of 5th and Grace (extreme right in this rendering.)

Condos in The Residences at Miller & Rhoads will take up all floors of the old Broad Street building except the ground level hotel lobby space. In the taller Grace Street building, condos will be on floors two thru seven under the white-ish rooftop structure and six lighted windows left of the jog near the electric sign. The ENTIRE 8th level will be condos -- some of them duplex units and many with outdoor patios.

All hotel rooms will be on floors two thru seven in the Grace Street building west of the condo line described above.

Two elevators serving condos will be in a small secured lobby off 6th street. Three hotel elevators will be in the 8-story building just south of the 5th Street main hotel entry.

Both building have central roofless atriums with residences and/or hotel rooms surrounding them. A glass enclosed swimming pool accessible to condo dwellers and hotel guests is on the second level of the larger atrium.

There are parking spaces in the basement of the old department store for ocupants of the 250 hotel rooms and 133 condo units.

Condo prices are expected to range from $149,000 to $599,000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was given a tour of The Residences at Miller & Rhoads and The Hilton Garden Inn last week and was duly impressed. There are about 42 different layouts among the 132 condo units ranging from one-bedrooms brginning at $149K to duplex-style rooftop penthouses priced at $600K plus.

The hotel lobby, done in tones of tan and pale yellow, has a sizable ballroom, a separate restaurant and, at the corner of 5th and Broad, a neat bar. The spacious sleeping rooms are modeled along Hilton Garden Inn standards, though a few may have higher ceilings than is the norm.

Opening of the 250-room hotel is anticipated in February, and condo move-ins may occur during March.

Thanks for the report Burt. Did they say how well condos are selling? Thanks

Actually, a sales office has not yet opened, but I was told there have been several "committments" from potential buyers.

The project is by a New Orleans developer and I don't know why advertising and sales have not commenced. I know that the condos are represented by Joyner Fine Properties in Richmond while another local real estate company is handling commercial space in the building.

• 2 weeks later...

What became of the department store window display area? Is it still intact, or are there rooms in those spots now?

I ask, because I wonder if they've given thought to taking advantage of Richmond's nostalgia of Miller & Rhodes and incorporating that somehow next Christmas. For example, having an old fashioned department store window Christmas display....don't know if it would draw anyone, but the Christmas parade route goes past it, maybe that could be used somehow. Or unveil it at a First Friday next December....just babbling on about it, please excuse me.

Don't know any specifics about the place, just an off handed thought, completely random and I was feeling nostalgic for department store Christmas displays.

Archived