Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

I've been told that the next in line project for OIA is the 6 or 8 new gates on the newest Airside 2 (U/C), and then renovating the oldest 2 airsides from the early eighties to bring them up to par with the newest two.

then, they will do the new terminal. the article alluded to the new terminal being built within the next decade-- hopefully they meant within THIS decade.

looks like Miami is influencing this study for an Orlando "MIC". Imagine that-- Orlando's MIC connecting to Miami's MIC via high speed rail. It makes sense.

Downtown Orlando will surf for free.

Wi-Fi to cover city's center But users must pay for speeds faster than the city's basic Wi-Fi.

I'm disappointed that the free service will offer only 2x dial-up speed. not sure how useful that really is, better than nothing i guess. But concerning the pay-for-high-speed service option, i have some doubts since anyone willing to pay a subscription fee may just as well opt for a Verizon type internet access service that will give you wireless service to more that just downtown. Now, a single day subscription for high-speed may work out, considering if its price is low enough. People will probably pay $5 for a day of high-speed access if they will be downtown that day.

But for residences and condos, will the service be reliable enough for access from condos and worth the price compared to having a hardline broadband connection. I'm a bit reluctant, since I still opt to pay for roadrunner in my condo, even though i have access if i wish for free internet from a multitude of open wifi access points in the building. Just a reliability thing.

I have mixed feelings about this, but definately a step in the right direction.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/custom...-growth-utility

Edited by pip

Immigrant Rally / March today...

I didn't see the cranes doing much moving today (if any).

And those goes say to the news that they aren't hiring any illegal immigrants.

Well, it may just be a dangerous situation considering the amount of people infiltrating the streets.

Orlando quits race to host '08 presidential convention

Orange and city officials decide that $100 million is far too much to pay to put on a U.S. presidential convention.

When Democrats and Republicans pick their 2008 presidential candidates, it won't be in Orlando.

Scared off by the cost, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty and Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer have notified party leaders that they won't bid for the Democratic National Convention or the Republican National Convention.

"We have a lot of other things on our plate," Dyer said. "To try to justify putting $100 million toward one event didn't make a lot of sense."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Good move!

"scared off"

I don't like that term. it's called being fiscally sound.

I still don't get the point about the temporary bleachers and all, when their first choice is going to an arena instead.

anyway, that $$$ should go to the PAC and new O-Rena if and when that occurs.

"scared off"

I don't like that term. it's called being fiscally sound.

I still don't get the point about the temporary bleachers and all, when their first choice is going to an arena instead.

anyway, that $$$ should go to the PAC and new O-Rena if and when that occurs.

Speaking of, I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the arena thread but this is an excerpt from Scott Maxwell's column today-

YOUR MONEY, THEIR PROFITS

Have any doubt about whose interests local hoteliers have at heart when they start talking about your money?

Here's how Harris Rosen described hotel taxes in last week's Orlando Business Journal: "That's our money -- it's a resort tax, not a 'save Rich DeVos' or 'build the ballet downtown' tax."

It's public money, of course -- not Rosen's. But don't expect your local politicians to tell Rosen that. They've got his campaign checks to cash.

Former County Mayor Mel Martinez was the last local pol to get in Rosen's face. Martinez said hoteliers deserve no more say over how hotel taxes are spent than the manager at 7-Eleven or J.C. Penney has over spending the sales taxes collected in those stores.

Most of Orange County's other leaders have been less willing to comment on the I-Drive emperor's clothes.

Instead, they just keep using hundreds of millions of tax dollars to subsidize a low-wage industry. They do this in between feel-good, regional think sessions where they claim to be befuddled about why we can't diversify our economy.

On the upside: There is some amusement value in hearing one rich guy who uses tax money to get even richer get indignant about another rich guy trying to do the same thing.

Someone just told me that there is an "out of control" fire down near Sea World. Does anyone know where this is and specifically, is it located where a future development is scheduled to break ground? It just seems odd that a fire could get away from the fire fighting forces in an urban environment. You would think that if people were truly in danger, more stations would respond to put out the flames. :whistling:

Someone just told me that there is an "out of control" fire down near Sea World. Does anyone know where this is and specifically, is it located where a future development is scheduled to break ground? It just seems odd that a fire could get away from the fire fighting forces in an urban environment. You would think that if people were truly in danger, more stations would respond to put out the flames. :whistling:

The fire was on Universal property. It seems a couple trailers full of fireworks exploded. :blink:

...oh, nevermind. You posted that yesterday, not today....

Edited by Chemmie

• 2 weeks later...

this thing looks to be a street level Target and other retail, with 4 levels of parking on top, and condos. kind of reminds me of Dadeland Station / Ft. L Publix downtown/ new Target on Dale Mabry & I-275, but different. Also, kind of like Paramount...

interesting.

Article in the Sentinel today about the 'Target' plaza going in 'SoDo'

Condos, stores may go in south of downtown

I put the 'SoDo' in quotes, because someone decided to give this area a name that is following suit with other cities. SoHo in NY, NoHo in LA. I'm sure it will stick after awhile. Thornton Park didn't take long before everyone was calling it that.

I don't think the 'Midtown' thing is going to work in Orlando.

And why won't the city officially name the Colonial Asian District, which is recognized by most citizens as Little Siagon?

Speaking of, I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the arena thread but this is an excerpt from Scott Maxwell's column today-

YOUR MONEY, THEIR PROFITS

Have any doubt about whose interests local hoteliers have at heart when they start talking about your money?

Here's how Harris Rosen described hotel taxes in last week's Orlando Business Journal: "That's our money -- it's a resort tax, not a 'save Rich DeVos' or 'build the ballet downtown' tax."

It's public money, of course -- not Rosen's. But don't expect your local politicians to tell Rosen that. They've got his campaign checks to cash.

Former County Mayor Mel Martinez was the last local pol to get in Rosen's face. Martinez said hoteliers deserve no more say over how hotel taxes are spent than the manager at 7-Eleven or J.C. Penney has over spending the sales taxes collected in those stores.

Most of Orange County's other leaders have been less willing to comment on the I-Drive emperor's clothes.

Instead, they just keep using hundreds of millions of tax dollars to subsidize a low-wage industry. They do this in between feel-good, regional think sessions where they claim to be befuddled about why we can't diversify our economy.

On the upside: There is some amusement value in hearing one rich guy who uses tax money to get even richer get indignant about another rich guy trying to do the same thing.

There is a difference....items at 7-11 and JC Penny are charged sales tax, and ONLY sales tax.

Hotel rooms are charged sales tax AND resort tax.....

Hotels have NO say in how the sales tax that is collected off of the rooms is spent....but they deserve say in the second (resort) tax....

There is a difference....items at 7-11 and JC Penny are charged sales tax, and ONLY sales tax.

Hotels have NO say in how the sales tax that is collected off of the rooms is spent....but they deserve say in the second (resort) tax....

Speck, I don't agree with you on this one...why do they deserve a say? they already benefit directly from the vast majority of the tax (convention center and marketing) and the purpose behind the tax is to offer local governments a source of revenue for civic facilities such as performing art centers and civic arenas, especially for those communitites that are impacted by the tourism trade...

it shouldn't be too much to ask that a portion, a relatively small portion, of a tax designed for civic facilities and tourism marketing be actually used for civic facilities that benefit residents and not just tourists...

just my humble view...

..... and the purpose behind the tax is to offer local governments a source of revenue for civic facilities such as performing art centers and civic arenas, especially for those communitites that are impacted by the tourism trade...

it shouldn't be too much to ask that a portion, a relatively small portion, of a tax designed for civic facilities and tourism marketing be actually used for civic facilities that benefit residents and not just tourists...

I think I agree, but if the purpose of the tax is to offer "local goverments" a source of revenue for stuff ... they shouldn't have to ASK at all. Local government levied the tax based on state law. How the f^&$ did the hoteliers get control?

That's what frustrates me ... whether you think there should be a tourist tax or not is besides the point. Taxes are levied by governments (i.e., people we put into office and can vote out), so why do non-elected businessmen have any say in how that money gets spent?

Edited by cwetteland

If I pay sales tax when I go to store and a property tax on my home should I get a say in how my specific taxes are spent?

Not actually in the headlines, but...

Home Depot people, Hughes people, City of Orlando people (Dyer) and everyone's attorneys met last week in downtown about Home Depot coming to town.

I read that Home Depot was possibly very quietly looking for a new headquarters and that Jacksonville was looked at. This would be huge if they came to Orlando.

More likely it was just about the Hughes Supply part though.

Edited by facilities man

I read that Home Depot was possibly very quietly looking for a new headquarters and that Jacksonville was looked at. This would be huge if they came to Orlando.

I agree about the Hughes aspect.

Why leave Atlanta?

Well, that's exactly what was being talked about (with regards to moving everything to Orlando). One of the reasons is because Hughes has a practically brand new building.

Some of the Home Depot people were rude. (Either that's just their demeanor or maybe they don't like the idea of moving to Orlando for their headquarters. I don't know.)

Well, that's exactly what was being talked about (with regards to moving everything to Orlando). One of the reasons is because Hughes has a practically brand new building.

Some of the Home Depot people were rude. (Either that's just their demeanor or maybe they don't like the idea of moving to Orlando for their headquarters. I don't know.)

Very interesting. I thought Hughes had already outgrown their new building? Maybe the Home Depot people are just going around kicking the tires so to speak. That doesn't hurt anything. It just gets people talking and excited.

everything as in Home Depot Supply, or everything as in Home Depot?