Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

So apparently groups are saying they will break the rules and feed the homeless in Lake Eola Park anyway.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

I'm sorry, but i'm not sure what the issue mentioned in the article is regarding writing tickets and arresting. Isn't that the point of an ordinance, fining people who break it? I have yet to hear a good argument of why Lake Eola Park must be the place for charity groups to feed the homeless. Living across the street from it for years, it's so taken over by the homeless, i dont even count it as a park or place to go. It's only cleared out apparently when there are events.

The homeless issue in DT Orlando is getting way out of hand. And if simple ordinances like this are going to be a battle and bring in the ACLU, it's not looking good down the road. We need way more agressive ordinances than this!

Edited by pip

So apparently groups are saying they will break the rules and feed the homeless in Lake Eola Park anyway.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

I'm sorry, but i'm not sure what the issue mentioned in the article is regarding writing tickets and arresting. Isn't that the point of an ordinance, fining people who break it? I have yet to hear a good argument of why Lake Eola Park must be the place for charity groups to feed the homeless. Living across the street from it for years, it's so taken over by the homeless, i dont even count it as a park or place to go. It's only cleared out apparently when there are events.

The homeless issue in DT Orlando is getting way out of hand. And if simple ordinances like this are going to be a battle and bring in the ACLU, it's not looking good down the road. We need way more agressive ordinances than this!

Too bad they can not (legally) take care of the homeless at Lake Eola the same way they took care of the birds a few years back.... :whistling:

Too bad they can not (legally) take care of the homeless at Lake Eola the same way they took care of the birds a few years back.... :whistling:

I don't mind them if they aren't agressive...unfortunatly, most of them are.

It's interesting, I just got back from Paris a few weeks ago, you see quite a few of them there, and throughout Europe. Virtually no bums asking for anything there, although some of them have cups for donations. In exchange for that, they get to sleep anywhere on the street/sidewalk they want and as long as they aren't blocking (foot or vehicle) traffic no one says anything. Good trade off if you ask me.

I don't mind them if they aren't agressive...unfortunatly, most of them are.

It's interesting, I just got back from Paris a few weeks ago, you see quite a few of them there, and throughout Europe. Virtually no bums asking for anything there, although some of them have cups for donations. In exchange for that, they get to sleep anywhere on the street/sidewalk they want and as long as they aren't blocking (foot or vehicle) traffic no one says anything. Good trade off if you ask me.

yeah....I agree with that.....

• 4 weeks later...

This article says that Regions Bank is buying out AmSouth Bank. It doesn't say exactly what will happen with their offices downtown, but under these circumstances, would the new Regions Bank take over the copper whopper and have 2 buildings under their name like Wachovia or consolidate under one roof? What is normal for these conditions?

Banks ramp up expansion plans in Orlando area

Old Southern Bank will open an office downtown soon, while other financial institutions plan to open multiple branches.

Richard Burnett {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 18, 2006

Several banks in Central Florida were busy this week jockeying for market share in one of the nation's hottest banking markets.

Old Southern Bank said Thursday it plans to open a branch in downtown Orlando that will also serve as its headquarters. The start-up bank expects the new office to open next week at 250 N. Orange Ave., site of the former Southern Community Bank.

more...

Edited by bulldogger

Here's the answer to many of you regarding grocery stores in the metro area...

Food chain has plans to enter Florida

Aldi to open at least 20 Orlando-area stores

Mark Chediak {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 23, 2006

Aldi, a no-frills grocery chain that prides itself on offering lower prices than discount kingpin Wal-Mart, aims to expand into Florida and open at least 20 stores in the Orlando market.

The German-owned food retailer, which has more than 800 U.S. locations in the Midwest and East Coast, is snapping up real estate in the area and expects to be open for business by 2008, said David Behm, a vice president at Aldi.

more...

Here's the answer to many of you regarding grocery stores in the metro area...

Food chain has plans to enter Florida

Aldi to open at least 20 Orlando-area stores

Mark Chediak {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 23, 2006

Aldi, a no-frills grocery chain that prides itself on offering lower prices than discount kingpin Wal-Mart, aims to expand into Florida and open at least 20 stores in the Orlando market.

The German-owned food retailer, which has more than 800 U.S. locations in the Midwest and East Coast, is snapping up real estate in the area and expects to be open for business by 2008, said David Behm, a vice president at Aldi.

more...

20 stores and a distribution center; not bad.

cheaper than walmart,

do they have a lot of parking lot too?

Their buildings, at least the one I've seen, are less than 20k square feet. So no, not as much as a wal-mart :)

I would think 20 stores is a bit optimistic, but maybe they are including all the way over to Tampa...

They were at the ICSC/Retailer one on one convention earlier this week...

Edited by neon9

Palmer named electrical contractor for Dynetech Centre

Palmer Electric Co. landed the contract to wire the 30-story, $80 million Dynetech Centre, a mixed-use building at 121 E. Washington St. in downtown Orlando.

more...

They mention at the end of the article that B&G expects Dynetech to be finished by September 2007. That's almost a year ahead of Paramount.