Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

You can't pick a building or venue and then say that everything that happens there doesn't count. Culture is culture no matter who brings it to you or the "fanny pack crowd" that your city basically owes it's current existence to. Culture that is off broadway, non commercial, and less popular isn't inherently better than that that can speak to the masses as well. Lots of people, myself included, enjoy things like Cirque De Soleil AND bands that play in venues like "The Social," The Brazillian Symphony Orchestra that's coming on Sunday, and pretty much any bit of "cuture" that can be found here. There's nothing more annoying than the crowd of 10 or less people at a play or event that sucks who congratulate themselves, nodding knowingly at each other for enjoying "culture" that none of the rest of the "masses" can understand or enjoy. This snooty flippant dissmisal of all things touristy, Disney, and popular, is terribly off-putting all too prevelant in Orlando and if anything shows a LACK of understanding of just what culture means.

And using your logic, the people who line up for 45 minutes at Olive Garden understand good food when there are many more superior and just as affordable options with similar wait times down the street. I enjoy the mass marketed culture as well, but I don't make it the staple of my diet. A lot of these shows started as off-Broadway productions anyway.

What I find off-putting is using the mass-marketed, non-homegrown, tourist-oriented culture as metrics for what defines the originality or sophistication of the people of Orlando. Disney is happy to have local people's (Floridians') attention and money, but they're much happier to get that family from Wichita. I've only been here less than nine months, but I think Orlando natives get tired of Disney and not their city being the attraction people come to see. My folks have been here numerous times to visit the resorts, but they're shocked that Orlando is a metropolitan region of nearly 2 million people. Other than in Celebration, they claim to have never seen a house down here and can't imagine what people "do" here. I start sounding like Mayor Dyer when I try to explain.

All I can say is this: I don't give a rip if its at Disney or downtown. Blue Man Group coming is big; just like IKEA; just like new hotel proposals like the Waldorf which is for the tourists.

I don't care about mass-marketed vs. hole in the wall. A place is worthwhile if it attracts people from elsewhere. That is Orlando-- and I say Orlando b/c people come here for: Disney, Universal, Sea World, smaller attractions, the malls, etc...

Whether or not Downtown is included in the mix is irrelevant. However, people do come into downtown to go out every day and night. that's tourism to an extent-- b/c I used to be one of those out-of-towners who would drive from G'ville to party at Pleasure Island and Church St. Sta.

How about those art festivals? We would take field trips to WP in the '80's for that.

What makes Orlando great is the mix that it has. If more touristy attractions are coming versus local PAC-type shows, then so be it. the others will follow. Besides, this is the tourist capital of the world, right?

And using your logic, the people who line up for 45 minutes at Olive Garden understand good food when there are many more superior and just as affordable options with similar wait times down the street. I enjoy the mass marketed culture as well, but I don't make it the staple of my diet. A lot of these shows started as off-Broadway productions anyway.

What I find off-putting is using the mass-marketed, non-homegrown, tourist-oriented culture as metrics for what defines the originality or sophistication of the people of Orlando. Disney is happy to have local people's (Floridians') attention and money, but they're much happier to get that family from Wichita. I've only been here less than nine months, but I think Orlando natives get tired of Disney and not their city being the attraction people come to see. My folks have been here numerous times to visit the resorts, but they're shocked that Orlando is a metropolitan region of nearly 2 million people. Other than in Celebration, they claim to have never seen a house down here and can't imagine what people "do" here. I start sounding like Mayor Dyer when I try to explain.

Have you talked to all 11 Orlando natives to base this on :)

CENTRAL FLORIDA THE AREA IN BRIEF

Downtown parade will close roads

Posted November 10, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Blue Man invasion

The musical group will start performing at Universal's CityWalk next June.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will spur a series of permenant broadway show in Orlando and show people we do have culture.

Is Blur Rose still going to have a permanant broadway show and Aqua has a new cirque show?

say again about Aqua? did they hint about bringing a Cirque show?

Unicorp or no Unicorp, Aqua is still alive, for whatever that's worth.

up untill I'd moved here my family would vacation here every year as a kid. I always thought it was weird that I'd never seen a house here. I wanted to move here ever since I came down here though cause I remembered it as the "happiest place on earth". Disney might be the happiest place on earth but 1-4 sure isn't at 6 o clock.

When ever I have friends and family come down here though I show them the touristy side of Orlando and the part that everyone lives in. What most people I know who come here are shocked by is all the stuff Orlando has to offer. Sure, some might say that's not Orlando because you're at Universal or Disney. If it weren't for Universal and Disney world no one would have heard of Orlando, FL. Tampa and other FL cities would think of it along the lines of Bithlo, Christmas, and other small FL towns. I get frustrated with all the tourists sometime but I still like all the stuff we have because of the tourists. So even though it's un hip for Orlando residents to visit the theme parks and all the other fanny pack filled tourist areas. I'll go to beach, theme parks, water parks and enjoy my time here in Orlando.

Edited by Violindude

touristy vs. non-touristy.

I'm from Chicago originally and I can tell you, if it were not for Marshall Fields and the Sears Tower, noone would know Chicago from my *ss.

Whenever I go to Chicago to visit relatives, where do they take me? Downtown: Navy Pier-- touristy; Sears--touristy; Hancock--touristy; Water Tower Place-- touristy. Just about every retail or entertainment venue in DT Chicago is a tourist trap-- as is Gurnee Mills in Gurnee, IL.

Orlando is different in that Disney and Universal are not downtown. THe CIty of Chicago does not own the Sears, Hancock, or WTP, or Gurnee Mills, or 990 N., or Chicago Place, or Marshall Fields (Macy's), or the Wrigley Bldg., the same way that Orlando does not own Disney.

I think people are way harder on Orlando then they are on these other cities with regard to these factors regarding tourism.

But those are actual places that have a real purpose outside of tourism.

I'm not going to defend the parks on this, but there are production studios at Disney and Universal that have never stopped being used. Universal is finally making a comeback since receding around 99 and losing Nickelodeon a few years ago. Disney's animation unit, which has been partially moved to HQ in California, had a better success rate with regards to which films made it. If the stockholders would have canned Eisner just a year earlier, he wouldn't have been able to make that mistake either. That was Roy's last straw with him.

Anyway, those studios are not for tourism.

Some of you may try to say that the old Nick studio is being converted to a stage for Blue Man Group. It's GE/NBC/Uni's way of using the space in a way they can guarantee makes profit. Like the move by Disney, they like to keep their own production close to their HQ's so that the corporate folks can keep an eye on things.

I'm sure you can make the argument that the studios are only a small portion of the area that makes up "the parks."

The parks issue here is so funny... it's a huge huge huge asset to the area and should be embraced more by the people who live here. The reason I think it's funny though is because it reminds me of one of the skyscraper page forumers back in Denver who completely resented the mountains and the ski industry because it took attention away from Denver in his opinion. In actuality it's exactly the same.. people on this side of the country hear Denver and think skiing and snow even though really there isn't that much snow in the city itself. I have no idea why that should be wrong.. whatever you can do to get name recognition for your city should be welcomed.

But those are actual places that have a real purpose outside of tourism.

What's Navy Pier's purpose? tourism.

What's Marshall Field's purpose? retail sales. no different than Downtown Disney retailers.

Sears? Offices, restaurants, and a skydeck. LBV Palace: skydeck restaurant; DT Disney: restaurants and offices for corp. employees.

WTP? cinema, retail, restaurants, hotel. Citywalk, DT Disney: the same.

--the only difference is that those places in Chicago are downtown. they are inside conventional facilities, and are not laid out in campus-fashion.

do locals shop at DT DIsney and Citywalk and use the facilities there (restaurants, etc.)? yes.

Disney and Universal, as stated above, offer a product to tourists and locals, employ thousands, have warehousing space, office space, etc., just like in any employment center anywhere. THey're just not in a downtown.

Bring on Blue Man Group.

^Man I would love to see one of these downtown. Completely unrelated, but I like the fact that the Shopping Center across from the mall is getting a facelift. Those are strong vendors that I imagine will do well. On the flip side, that intersection/flyover at 50 and Semoran better be huge. The relocation of those stores all but eliminates three out of four corners on one of Orlandos busiest intersections.

BTW, does anyone know what is going on with the old Just for feet? I have a sneaking suspicion that the furniture store across the street will be razed, but I haven't heard what is going in either location.

BTW, does anyone know what is going on with the old Just for feet? I have a sneaking suspicion that the furniture store across the street will be razed, but I haven't heard what is going in either location.

The furniture store is getting demolished to make way for a bank.

I don't know about the Just for Feet, but I am hoping for a Blockbuster.

The old Just for Feet will be a Total Wine & More --- I recently checked out the other new one on Dale Mabry in Tampa and it had a great wine, beer, and liquor selection - it should be a great addition to the area and some competition for ABC...

Also going into Colonial Plaza is a Super Suppers - a make your own meals place...

Now all they need to do is lease out the old Rhodes Furniture - my vote is for a Whole Foods and interestingly Weingarten own's Colonial Plaza - just like the new Sand Lake Road location - any other wishes???

Also - the Comfort Furniture will make way for an Atlantic Bank - and also a yet to be named restaurant (although when I checked the city approval it reports a drive thru is approved so we are probably looking at a fast food place).

Wow, Scott, great investigatory work. Good job! :)

^Man I would love to see one of these downtown. Completely unrelated, but I like the fact that the Shopping Center across from the mall is getting a facelift. Those are strong vendors that I imagine will do well. On the flip side, that intersection/flyover at 50 and Semoran better be huge. The relocation of those stores all but eliminates three out of four corners on one of Orlandos busiest intersections.

Or is that a "Sneaker Suspicion?" :rofl:

Edited by spenser1058

You nut job :). I was going to use that when I wrote it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Thanks for the info scott! Is there any market type food in this new wine shop? Meats, cheese, etc? Or is it strictly booze? Just for the record either answer is good by me.

While we are talking about Bumby, anyone want to chip in a couple bucks so we can bring down the Winn Dixie as well?