Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

that's impressive: 4,700 companies and 80,000 hitech jobs.

What they don't tell you is those numbers include Disney employees that run the tomorrowland rides :rofl:

By the way, did anyone play in the Mud Volleyball thing last weekend? I noticed a lot of design and construction firms. I know there are some of those types on here...it's a lot of fun if you get the chance next year.

Edited by neon9

Their buildings, at least the one I've seen, are less than 20k square feet. So no, not as much as a wal-mart :)

I would think 20 stores is a bit optimistic, but maybe they are including all the way over to Tampa...

They were at the ICSC/Retailer one on one convention earlier this week...

Who do you work for if you don't mind saying.

Their buildings, at least the one I've seen, are less than 20k square feet. So no, not as much as a wal-mart :)

I would think 20 stores is a bit optimistic, but maybe they are including all the way over to Tampa...

They were at the ICSC/Retailer one on one convention earlier this week...

I gotta tell you guys, there have been a lot of grocers going under the past 5 years in metro ORL. from Food Lion to WInn Dixie's to the K-Marts, etc... CVS took over Eckerd Drugs. THese guys can get a decent market share. 20 doesn't seem all that much, even in the 4 county area. I've been to one of those in Chicago, I think.

Possible minor league baseball team for Orlando in 2 years??

I hope so. I'm not a baseball fan, but for the past year or so, I've had this urge to go down to Tinker field

on a nice summer evening and just sit back, relax and watch baseball. A friend of mine has 3 young sons who'd love it too. I hope we get it and Orlando supports them. I couldn't care less about getting a major league team.

Earthquake May Have Caused Broken Pipe

Anyone know more about what's happening at Post Parkside? Any ideas on what really happened and when people will be able to move back. It's eerie seeing this building dark at night. Though I live on the 16th floor of the Waverly, I called my insurance company to make sure of what I was covered for regarding "floods." We've had several leaks here but nothing this large. Come to think about it, if earthquakes became more frequent, I can't imagine what insurance rates in Florida would be like. Too bad Florida is flat as a pancake. We could add mudslides to the disaster list. :D

Earthquake May Have Caused Broken Pipe

Anyone know more about what's happening at Post Parkside? Any ideas on what really happened and when people will be able to move back. It's eerie seeing this building dark at night. Though I live on the 16th floor of the Waverly, I called my insurance company to make sure of what I was covered for regarding "floods." We've had several leaks here but nothing this large. Come to think about it, if earthquakes became more frequent, I can't imagine what insurance rates in Florida would be like. Too bad Florida is flat as a pancake. We could add mudslides to the disaster list. :D

Must have been a fire sprinkler. An earthquake should not have caused any pipes to break or become dislodged, but it's possible. Usually I believe the pipes are designed to sway a little.

With earthquakes and sandy soil, there is another danger as well-liquefaction

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Blue Man Group finds permanent home at Universal Studios

Sara K. Clarke {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted November 9, 2006, 12:16 PM EST

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...iness-headlines

Roller coaster, new rides coming to Cypress Gardens

Kelly Griffith {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted November 9, 2006, 12:29 PM EST

Orlando 3rd in fastest-growing home values

From Sentinel Staff Reports

Posted November 8, 2006, 4:37 PM EST

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...mostemailedlink

CENTRAL FLORIDA THE AREA IN BRIEF

Downtown parade will close roads

Posted November 10, 2006

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Blue Man invasion

The musical group will start performing at Universal's CityWalk next June.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will spur a series of permenant broadway show in Orlando and show people we do have culture.

Is Blur Rose still going to have a permanant broadway show and Aqua has a new cirque show?

Blue Man invasion

The musical group will start performing at Universal's CityWalk next June.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will spur a series of permenant broadway show in Orlando and show people we do have culture.

Is Blur Rose still going to have a permanant broadway show and Aqua has a new cirque show?

I hate to say this about Orlando, but anything happening in the theme parks or along I-Drive does not count as culture. Even it did, it's not really here for the people of Orlando. Once the new PAC is up and more smaller venues for plays and concerts open, then we'll have the homegrown culture that doesn't have to chase the fanny-pack crowd to fill seats. I think New Yorkers feel the same way about Times Square and most Broadway shows. The homegrown culture of New York shows itself in the smaller, less commercialized venues in the Village, SoHo and other spots of the city most tourists likely won't tread.

I hate to say this about Orlando, but anything happening in the theme parks or along I-Drive does not count as culture. Even it did, it's not really here for the people of Orlando. Once the new PAC is up and more smaller venues for plays and concerts open, then we'll have the homegrown culture that doesn't have to chase the fanny-pack crowd to fill seats. I think New Yorkers feel the same way about Times Square and most Broadway shows. The homegrown culture of New York shows itself in the smaller, less commercialized venues in the Village, SoHo and other spots of the city most tourists likely won't tread.

You can't pick a building or venue and then say that everything that happens there doesn't count. Culture is culture no matter who brings it to you or the "fanny pack crowd" that your city basically owes it's current existence to. Culture that is off broadway, non commercial, and less popular isn't inherently better than that that can speak to the masses as well. Lots of people, myself included, enjoy things like Cirque De Soleil AND bands that play in venues like "The Social," The Brazillian Symphony Orchestra that's coming on Sunday, and pretty much any bit of "cuture" that can be found here. There's nothing more annoying than the crowd of 10 or less people at a play or event that sucks who congratulate themselves, nodding knowingly at each other for enjoying "culture" that none of the rest of the "masses" can understand or enjoy. This snooty flippant dissmisal of all things touristy, Disney, and popular, is terribly off-putting all too prevelant in Orlando and if anything shows a LACK of understanding of just what culture means.