Metro Orlando Headlines

bic

Creative Village is a long shot. First you have to wait till the new arena is built, which bring you to 2010 or 2011 or never. Then they have to vote on bringing down the old arena, design for the development, built it. People will oppose the project, ask for a vote and consider buy the developer out. Even Dyer explode the arena at 2 am in the morning, it will still be a long shot.

Giving the slow pace of how everything being built from planning to done, I would say around 2018, u will see the creative village.

I think the creative village is just an idea at this point, or more of a pipe dream if you ask me.

Construction costs are largely predicated on 2 things, labor and energy costs. Labor always slowly increases, and energy has shot up for the past few years, especially oil. Some raw materials are going down, wood for a while and steel has for a month or 2 I think. So that's helped, but generally, just like anyone else they can count on higher prices over time.

If the city really wanted to move on this, they would get a master developer like The Related Cos. to come in after issuing an RFP. Then they would begin developing the project in phases. The are examples at John's Hopkins which are similar to this, the city would have to spur it, though.

Yeah, they could start the process so that construction could begin the moment the new arean is open. They could also start by 2008 if they start developing the outermost portions of the property. Attack the surface parking and get people to park at the Courthouse (many do anyway). It can be done.

Bola is next to Friday's Front Row. It used to be Italliani's, owned by the TGI Friday's group, and was suprisingly pretty good chain italian. Then it was Aussie Steakhouse for a bit... never ate there, though.

I know exactly where you're talking about. Thanks.

Retail development booms across Orlando

A new report says the area is the top market in the state for retail investment.

Mark Chediak {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

In the not so distant past, much of the major retail development in the Orlando area clustered around the theme parks, where merchants banked on seducing shopping-starved tourists or luring locals looking for something out of the ordinary.

But as Central Florida's population continues to soar, the region's bigger retail projects now tend to pop up around growing or planned residential developments and community centers. And those projects have helped make Orlando the top market in the state for investment in retail development, according to a report to be released today.

"Orlando used to be thought of as a tourist town, but it's really evolved beyond that," said Justin Greider, senior financial analyst for the Staubach Co. and one of the authors of the report.

According to the study, prepared by Staubach and Orlando-based Crossman & Co. for an International Council of Shopping Centers conference to be held today in Palm Harbor, investors poured nearly $690 million into the Orlando retail market last year and may invest as much or more this year.

Furthermore, the Florida retail study showed that the average retail rental rate in Orlando last year hit a record high of $21.26 per square foot.

Those climbing rental rates can be attributed to a healthy local economy and anticipated growth in the high-end retail market over the next several years, Greider said.

The report estimates that new businesses moving to Orlando in early 2007 will generate more than 1,000 jobs over the next six months. The metro area's population is expected to grow by 250,000 in the next five years to more than 2 million.

Retail developers are counting on that population surge to result in more residents -- and shoppers -- in areas including the Lake Nona region, west Orange County, downtown Orlando and The Villages to name a few.

Those areas are where some of the region's biggest shopping centers are slated to go up. For example, a nearly 1.2 million-square-foot lifestyle center is under construction at the Winter Garden Village at Fowler Groves.

In addition, an open-air shopping center of a similar size is planned for the Lake Nona area and Crossman & Co. is working on a 1.3 million-square-foot shopping center in The Villages that will be anchored by a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Greider also pointed to the Uptown Altamonte development, where retail rental rates have climbed 15 percent in the past six months, as another example of merchants following residential growth.

Link

New arena "half-baked," says city commissioner

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

ok, you know what? its this kind of mindset that keeps orlando at bay when it comes to eventually becoming a real city, IMHO. if you go to a major city, one that has established sports facilities, people park and walk to the venue. thats just standard. and because of this, all of the area around the facility starts booming due to all the foot traffic. sports bars, restaurants, shops, cafe's, etc. what do they want, a friggin series of parking lots named after 7 dwarves for God's sake??? ...like walking three blocks from orange ave would be SOOOO difficult!!? :shok: all of the sports venues that come to mind that have huge parking moats surrounding them were all built in an era when veunes were being built away from the city centers. now the venues are returning to where the action is. one of the worst things about the existing orlando arena is the huge sea of parking surrounding it. it makes it feel so far from urban to me. i just don't get their argument. talk about "WHINE and cheese"

ok, you know what? its this kind of mindset that keeps orlando at bay when it comes to eventually becoming a real city, IMHO. if you go to a major city, one that has established sports facilities, people park and walk to the venue. thats just standard. and because of this, all of the area around the facility starts booming due to all the foot traffic. sports bars, restaurants, shops, cafe's, etc. what do they want, a friggin series of parking lots named after 7 dwarves for God's sake??? ...like walking three blocks from orange ave would be SOOOO difficult!!? :shok: all of the sports venues that come to mind that have huge parking moats surrounding them were all built in an era when veunes were being built away from the city centers. now the venues are returning to where the action is. one of the worst things about the existing orlando arena is the huge sea of parking surrounding it. it makes it feel so far from urban to me. i just don't get their argument. talk about "WHINE and cheese"

what I found funny about the article is the fact that some one was quoted as saying they dont want people to have to walk all the way from orange avenue

seriously now, have we become that lazy as a society?? can't bear to walk 5 minutes

infact most parking is withing that designated 5 minute radius that is highlighted by city planners......sigh

just build these damn things already!!

one thing buddy has demonstrated throughout his term is that he will always seem to do what he feels is right w/ little regard for what others think. This is both good and bad, but in this case I think it's good. He's one very bull-headed individual.

The arena deal will get done, I'm very confident of this.

People could also park at farther away garages and use the Lynx circulator to get to the arena. The worst thing they could do is surround the new arena with parking garages that kill street activity and interaction.

Edited by facilities man

People could also park at farther away garages and use the Lynx circulator to get to the arena. The worst thing they could do is surround the new arena with parking garages that kill street activity and interaction.

Exactly, that's the problem with the current area...people park, see the game, and jump right back in their car (if they can find it). You don't walk by anything else. And they thought this would revitalize parramore?

Building bonanza

Orlando's fastest-growing construction segments include office, industrial

Orlando Business Journal - January 5, 2007by Jill KruegerStaff Writer

For example, Highwoods Properties plans to start building the 192,500-square-foot Capital Plaza III at the southeast corner of Rosalind Avenue and Pine Street in downtown Orlando in the first quarter of 2007.

http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/sto...8232400^1398254

what I found funny about the article is the fact that some one was quoted as saying they dont want people to have to walk all the way from orange avenue

seriously now, have we become that lazy as a society?? can't bear to walk 5 minutes

infact most parking is withing that designated 5 minute radius that is highlighted by city planners......sigh

just build these damn things already!!

The day I'm able to afford it I'll buy a condo downtown or maybe Thornton Park just so I can walk to the game. Some people just want to sit in traffic...don't ask me why.

New "Coffee and Lounge" concept to open on Church st.

Quote From Article

"Raving Brands has also introduced a coffee-shop concept in Clermont called PJ's Coffee of New Orleans. Other locations are planned throughout the Orlando area. And the franchise will launch a European cafe and cocktail bar concept at Church Street Station called PJ's Coffee and Lounge."

Digital lifestyle is economic issue -- Central Florida must keep pace

Mike Whaling

Posted January 16, 2007

Recently, there has been a significant amount of public debate regarding Central Florida's projected growth over the next few decades. Community leaders and organizations -- like Myregion.org -- should be applauded for initiating this dialogue.

Thus far, the discussion has focused on upgrading two main areas: infrastructure and quality of life. With millions of people expected to move to Central Florida in the coming decades, it is necessary to construct roads capable of handling the influx of traffic, to develop a water delivery system to serve the region, and to build the facilities to attract cultural events.

This discussion needs to be expanded to include technology as well -- including both infrastructure requirements and the lifestyle needs of a "connected" population. Currently, Orlando is the second "most wired city" (according to Forbes), plus it was recently included in Wired's "Top Tech Towns" list. If Orlando's leaders want to maintain its distinction as one of the most tech-savvy communities in the country, they will need to embrace this digital lifestyle and promote the development of the supporting infrastructure.

Some view technology as a luxury, but it's more than that. Actually, technology is an economic issue. Our competitor cities -- those cultivating the same types of businesses and professionals -- are offering residents the latest services and are planning for future technology needs.

Based on our experience providing technology-based amenity solutions throughout the country, we see that Orlando is lagging behind in residential connectivity. In Phoenix, communities are offering residents their own in-unit wireless networks. San Diego has an initiative -- dubbed "Broadband Bay" -- to ensure all buildings in the city center meet connectivity standards. In New York City and Boston, we see open-access buildings, giving residents the option to choose from a number of companies offering TV, Internet, phone and other communications services. In places such as New York and Dallas -- even in the Tampa area -- consumers benefit from increased competition among providers, which has produced more advanced services at lower costs.

At the recent Consumer Electronics Show, Bill Gates shared his vision for the digital lifestyle -- quickly becoming a reality for many -- in which people can easily navigate, consume, share and manage all kinds of content, including games, movies, family photos, sports and work.

Central Florida should take note: As we prepare to address the practical and lifestyle-oriented issues that come with such rapid population growth, almost everything -- from commuter rail to the "downtown triple crown" -- seems to be on the table for discussion. In addition, we should take this opportunity to show why we're nationally recognized as a technology leader. Technology is constantly moving forward. And, if Orlando wants to continue to attract the best and the brightest, we must keep pace -- not only where our residents work but also where they live.

Link

Edited by MaXxlife

Business desires Orlando for home

Triad Isotopes, which is in nuclear medicine, would bring dozens of executive positions.

Buoyed by millions of dollars in venture capital, a veteran Central Florida entrepreneur wants to make downtown Orlando the headquarters for a fast-growing nuclear-medicine company with dozens of high-paying executive jobs.

Dom Meffe, a founder and former chief executive officer of the Orlando-based pharmaceutical distributor CuraScript, said Monday his new company, Triad Isotopes Inc., has chosen space in SunTrust Center for its corporate headquarters.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/he...ealth-headlines

The MLS is coming to Orlando!

Posted by JeffRubenstein on Jan 18, 2007 2:26:09

Orlando's really turning into a professional soccer destination, isn't it? Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls have announced their preseason plans - and The City Beautiful (game) is on the itinerary. The 'Bulls will be training here from March 15-19, following a stint in Bradenton. While here in Orlando, NY will compete in a preseason mini-tournament with Real Salt Lake and champions Houston Dynamo.

Even if Ronaldo doesn't make a much-rumored move to the Red Bulls, we can still turn out to see Freddy Adu, Dwayne de Rosario, and yell at NY coach Bruce Arena for his poor performance in the World Cup. Dates, times, and venue are yet to be determined, but after watching a couple of recent matches in a 75% empty Citrus Bowl, maybe Disney's Wide World of Sports will be a better fit.

Special thanks to Etan for bringing this to our attention.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_so...ls_is_comi.html

The Wilder Cos. to break ground Jan. 23 on two projects

The Wilder Cos. late Wednesday announced groundbreakings on Jan. 23 for the Loop West open-air shopping center in Kissimmee and The Rialto mixed-use development in south Orlando.

did they extend THacker to Osceola Parkway? this Loop is supposed to be at that corner. that's maybe a mile from the other Loop. same stores and another theatre. is someone smoking crack or am I just not getting it?

did they extend THacker to Osceola Parkway? this Loop is supposed to be at that corner. that's maybe a mile from the other Loop. same stores and another theatre. is someone smoking crack or am I just not getting it?

That's what I was thinking. I know for sure there is already a Kohl's and a theatre.

That's what I was thinking. I know for sure there is already a Kohl's and a theatre.

I *think* that the street there on the backside of Kohl's, the theatre, etc. is Thacker Ave., though it doesn't actually connect to "South" Thacker which runs north-south, roughly longitudinally, down by Columbia Ave and 192. So, when they say it's at the corner of Thacker and Osceola, I think that's where it comes into play. Dyer is the street, newly extended, a little farther down Osceola Pkwy. towards the toll booth. It sounds to me like this "new" Loop (West) is going to go in there, north of Osceola, between the Dyer extension and the existing Loop.

It also sounds to me like they're quoting all these stores, which are actually a part of the existing Loop, in addition to new ones that will be a part of the "new" Loop (West). In the end, I guess, it will all be one big center?