Why don't more people use RIPTA?

Cotuit

URI does not have free parking for commuters. I think grad students get free parking, and I don't know about people who live on campus, but commuters need to buy a parking pass (not sure how much it is, though)

Commuters pay $125 per year.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather have them return to 1980 level of service when buses ran every 7-8 minutes on North Main Street and every 5 minutes during commute times.

just about every line should have service at that level in the city. there's no reason why someone should have to wait half an hour between buses and really schedule their day around the bus schedule if they choose to not have a car. i'd take the bus everyday if i could step out to the bus stop and wait no more than 5-10 minutes during commute times, get to KP and transfer to another line, again waiting no more than 5-10 min for the next bus to bring me to my destination.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

unfortuneately, RIPTA needs to get the most bang for it's buck. As long as they get replaced with something distinctive and they can save money at the same time, I say great. I still think they need to make more colored or brnaded routes anyway, so maybe something more standard can allow them to create a couple of new "lines" from existing numbered routes.

i agree on the trolleys. they just plain suck. i don't mind the look of the outside, but they're noisy as hell when hitting the crappy roads in providence and the seats are extremely uncomfortable. i wouldn't mind if they were regular buses on the inside with the look of the trolley, but the trolleys as they are now suck.

I was talking to someone at RIPTA about the trolleys (I forget who now) and he said he had suggested we get some classic buses from the 50s and 60s to run on the trolley routes, they could be retrofitted with modern engines and AC and whatnot for not too much money. Everyone said no. :( I think he had some leads on buses and had stuff priced out... no one wanted to hear it though.

I think it would be cool to have some classic buses, then bring back streetcars with some modern cars, and make our regular buses a touch more colorful.

I was talking to someone at RIPTA about the trolleys (I forget who now) and he said he had suggested we get some classic buses from the 50s and 60s to run on the trolley routes, they could be retrofitted with modern engines and AC and whatnot for not too much money. Everyone said no. :( I think he had some leads on buses and had stuff priced out... no one wanted to hear it though.

I think it would be cool to have some classic buses, then bring back streetcars with some modern cars, and make our regular buses a touch more colorful.

Buses as unique as the city itself would be cool...

buses designed by RISD students with Grant money from father christmas would be great

Yeah! We need a philanthropist to underwrite a Pimp Our Buses project.

Seriously, though, buses designed by RISD students could be very cool. It'd be great if there were illustrations or a graphic system based on the themes from the places that buses serve: all of the various Providence neighborhoods, the different beach communitites, the other cities in the urban core, etc.

NYC recently did a campaign where they wrapped taxis in graphic art, it certainly would be interesting to see RISD students wrap some RIPTA buses.

This seems like a reasonably realistic way to make a splash without replacing the fleet - although those Parisian microbuses are pretty sweet.

RIPTA Winter Service Changes

The usual schedule adjustments with trips added and discontinued. There are some notable changes, however:

#11 Broad St and #99 Pawtucket/Providence route headways reduced from 11 to 10 minutes, an increase of 14 trips.

#51 Charles St now through routed with #79 Columbus Ave (Pawtucket) linking KP with Columbus Ave (including McCoy Stadium).

• 1 month later...

Archived