Why don't more people use RIPTA?

Cotuit

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds good except for their funding thing. the gas tax should be the state's primary source for funding RIPTA. i like the idea of developing the different districts, and those districts should be using the car tax to help fund RIPTA. it's high enough, especially in providence, that i'm sure they could spare some of it. :whistling:

Well I've now had my first few RIPTA experiences - and I must say it works out great for me! A bus picks me up near my house (Harrisville) and drops me on Empire Street near Cathedral Square about 15 minutes before I have to get to work.

And I'm getting so much more reading done. :)

Glad to hear it, webbage. If you are planning on using transit for your work commute, call your auto insurance provider and tell them you will no longer be using your car for this purpose. They should lower your premium because you will now be classified as a "leisure driver".

RouteMatch Software Announces $1.6 Million Intelligent Transportation System Contract with the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority

RouteMatch Software Inc. announced that it will provide its full range of intelligent transportation system (ITS) solutions to help the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority (RIPTA) and its RIde program better coordinate and meet the state

I keep thinking about my idea for self-propelled light rail (like the one that will be running on the Newport Secondary at the Gateway Center) from TF Green with stops at Cranston, the Zoo/Park, the Port, with a intermodal station across from Conley Warf (using land created by the new 195 interchange?) that connects to the Ferry and the Trolley to the Hospitals and downtown. I wish I was qualified to be on the board, I'd be an expert at route development.

what, I can dream...

When you add up those who ride free courtesy of RIteCare, age, disability, student status, etc., you find that three of every four riders drops nothing into the farebox!

While these groups may not drop anything in the farebox, their rides are not exactly free. RIteCare, elderly, and disabled fares are subsidized by government programs, RIPTA may eat some of those costs, but most of the costs come from public welfare programs. We could just lock all the elderly and infirm in their homes, but I prefer the system we have where we empower them. Students do not ride free, schools pay to get students, staff, and faculty on the buses and off the roads. It is a benefit provided by the schools to their students and employees. And many other employers should be making arrangements to provide the same benefit. The new farebox will better track how many people from each institution are using transit, and allow RIPTA to negotiate better, more appropriate contracts with these institutions. The new farebox system will also be able to audit bus usage allowing RIPTA to better gauge how people use the system and how the system should be improved to better serve its current customers.

Governor Carcieri has high hopes for RIPTA

Milk just came out my nose, and I'm not even drinking milk. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well I've now had my first few RIPTA experiences - and I must say it works out great for me! A bus picks me up near my house (Harrisville) and drops me on Empire Street near Cathedral Square about 15 minutes before I have to get to work.

And I'm getting so much more reading done. :)

I actually view this as a benefit for public transit as well. It takes me longer to get from home to campus than if I drove, but I am catching up on SO much reading right now, it makes it almost worth it.

When you add up those who ride free courtesy of RIteCare, age, disability, student status, etc., you find that three of every four riders drops nothing into the farebox!

I think this is a misleading quote. In fact, the General Manager's report from the June 18th RIPTA Board Meeting cites a lower percentage (which was brought up and, not disputed, by Governor Carcieri's appointee, Director Vice-Chair Robert Batting):

Mr. Batting again referenced the General Manager

• 2 weeks later...

Brown's been talking about that East Bay link for a while. Annoyingly, Barrington has amongst the best RIPTA service in the state. Annoying, because those of us in the City actually rely on the damn service.

Brown's been talking about that East Bay link for a while. Annoyingly, Barrington has amongst the best RIPTA service in the state. Annoying, because those of us in the City actually rely on the damn service.

Thats only because in Barrington, they use their Hummers to tow the RIPTA buses everywhere.

They obviously rely on it also and unlike the city area most are cash customers. The commuter buses thru Barrington regularly pick up 10-15 passengers. Barrington has lost its connection to East Providence. The line that went thru Nayatt and Maple Ave was cut back to West Barrington about 4 years ago and service was greatly reduced. These buses and drivers are now being used on city runs.

Brown use to pay the UTC(United Transit Company) , the forerunner of RIPTA, to carry their students to Marvel Gym on Elmgrove Ave. They helped keep the old 41 Elmgrove on 15 minute headways. Hopefully Brown's usage on RIPTA will convince them to increase schedules on any tunnel route, esp 42, 38 and the trolley schedule.

Mark

unlike the city area most are cash customers.

Did you not notice that RIPTA is rerouting the Barrington bus for the convenience of so-called non-cash paying customers. Do you know for a fact that 'most' riders on the bus from Barrington are not utilizing some sort of non-cash fare?

But then again, as I pointed out above, there really aren't that many "free" bus rides, RIPTA currently gets reimbursed for most subsidized services in some form or another.

Did you not notice that RIPTA is rerouting the Barrington bus for the convenience of so-called non-cash paying customers. Do you know for a fact that 'most' riders on the bus from Barrington are not utilizing some sort of non-cash fare?

But then again, as I pointed out above, there really aren't that many "free" bus rides, RIPTA currently gets reimbursed for most subsidized services in some form or another.

RIPTA has rerouted buses for RI Hospital because of the highway construction and have expanded that service. Hopefully it will survive after the I-Way is completed. If Brown is paying for usage then there is a fare per rider. Most of the commuters in Barrington have monthly passes or passes provided by their jobs. So when they swipe their card are they considered non cash paying customers? I am sure the public school students have passes available to them and probably St. Andrew students.

As I said I hope Brown's usage increases service. J & W use to use RIPTA, but now provide their own bus service. I don't know why they dropped RIPTA. PC student's use of the 55 line has led to increased service on that line. Maybe RISD could be convinced to provide passes for RIPTA. The East Side definitely needs increased bus service. A through line from Hope Street to Wayland Square could be considered. The old Brown Street line could be reinstituted possibly to Stop & Shop.

Also, I am in favor of point to point service, such as they have in Albany. Buses are waiting for state workers and the main hospital in Albany at approximately 4 pm. They then continue to their individual routes thru downtown Albany. So Brown to Barrington thru the tunnel is not a bad idea. We need to determine more routes like this. Sounds like Southwest doesn't it?

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Editorial in today's Brown Daily Herald about their participation in RIPTA's UPASS program. Some interesting quotes from the article are as follows:

The new bus line slated to link Barrington - a popular hometown of choice for Brown professors - with Thayer Street is a great incentive for faculty to ride RIPTA.

But Brown technically has only agreed to a two-year contract with RIPTA, to be evaluated based on University participation. That's why it is important, now, to get off the Hill and actually take advantage of U-PASS.

Riding RIPTA

Archived