Why don't more people use RIPTA?

Cotuit

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, if we could just get GPS-based recorded announcement of stops and GPS tracking of the ETA of buses to stops...

That would have been REALLY helpful for me today as I waited for the 42 inbound. It was 15 minutes late so I missed my connection to Newport. If I had known how far away and how far behind schedule it was I would have walked to KP and probably made the my bus. Or at least be able to try and catch one on Camp or N. Main. Fortunately I have an understanding boss.

There are some former Brown University students who created a program along these lines for the Brown Shuttle system. They still live locally and if they had funding, time, and interest I bet they could roll out a nice system.

I would love to be able to check online to see where buses are so I can determine which ones are going to be within walking distance of my house at a given time and then I could just go to the one which will get me to my destination fastest. (I would look at buses running on Hope St., Camp St., and North Main st.)

I beat the trolley to work today. It passed me as I was getting coffee at the DD on Atwells. When I was in front of the RI Foundation it was just pulling into the trolley stop at KP. And I was climbing the steps of the First Baptist Church as it was pulling into the bus tunnel (which is where I get off).

There are some former Brown University students who created a program along these lines for the Brown Shuttle system. They still live locally and if they had funding, time, and interest I bet they could roll out a nice system.

that's awesome! and it would probably be really easy for them to design a similar system for ripta.

• 1 month later...

I noticed RIPTA has finally got some total-bus-covering advertisements: Twin River and Verizon. Good for them. Welcome to the 90's RIPTA!

I'd love to see a new local biz or local event get a full bus ad. It would have looked cool to see a tall ships ad totally covering the bus.

But this could be used to identify routes, too. If the Twin River bus is the route to Twin River, cool.

How about a bus covered in an ad for the Botanical Center that takes you to the park?

Or how about getting some Wickenden St businesses to pool together and get a bus covered in the mural under the bridge at Wickenden and Point Streets.

I'm sure you can think of more ideas along this theme... Any other good ones? What should a Thayer St bus look like? How about a Theater District line hitting the theaters and clubs?

Pie in the sky perhaps... but it's fun to think creatively... isn't it RIPTA?

Greetings guys from Canada. :D

Hoping to do RIPTA for the first time on Thursday - and I have a really dumb question. One can pay the fare right on the bus, yes? Do I need exact change? All quarters? Help! :D

Thanks,

Yes-You can pay the fare on the bus.

Yes-Exact change is required.

You can use both bills and quarters. Base fare is $1.50 and $0.25 for a transfer.

How many bus trips are you taking? A day pass, which you can buy at Kennedy Plaza, is $6.00 so it's worth it if you are planning on riding the bus more than 4 times.

Do you need help figuring out what routes you need to take?

I noticed RIPTA has finally got some total-bus-covering advertisements: Twin River and Verizon. Good for them. Welcome to the 90's RIPTA!

I'd love to see a new local biz or local event get a full bus ad. It would have looked cool to see a tall ships ad totally covering the bus.

But this could be used to identify routes, too. If the Twin River bus is the route to Twin River, cool.

How about a bus covered in an ad for the Botanical Center that takes you to the park?

Or how about getting some Wickenden St businesses to pool together and get a bus covered in the mural under the bridge at Wickenden and Point Streets.

I'm sure you can think of more ideas along this theme... Any other good ones? What should a Thayer St bus look like? How about a Theater District line hitting the theaters and clubs?

Pie in the sky perhaps... but it's fun to think creatively... isn't it RIPTA?

a thayer street bus would have a pic of cotuit walking the other way. :P

a waterfire bus would look really cool. as for the park, i'd say do a mural type with the zoo mixed with the botanical gardens, mixed with some general park scenes.

in response to webbage, yes, you can pay on the bus. i think if you don't have exact change, you don't get any change (which is common on buses, or at least used to be, i ride for free so i don't know what ripta's policy is).

in response to webbage, yes, you can pay on the bus. i think if you don't have exact change, you don't get any change (which is common on buses, or at least used to be, i ride for free so i don't know what ripta's policy is).

Some guy got on the RIPTA trolley in Newport last week and actually asked the driver, "Do you take credit cards?" :lol:

Does anyone have any thoughts on RIPTA's new electronic fare boxes that go live on July 30th?

Here are the minutes from a RIPTA board meeting where the benefits of the fareboxes are discussed. Scroll down to page 6 and reference Agenda Item 5.

http://www2.sec.state.ri.us/omfiling/pdffi...0/2006/6330.pdf

There's also a website describing the operation of the fareboxes and the new features that will be offered.

http://www.ripta.com/content1522.html

Yes-You can pay the fare on the bus.

Yes-Exact change is required.

You can use both bills and quarters. Base fare is $1.50 and $0.25 for a transfer.

How many bus trips are you taking? A day pass, which you can buy at Kennedy Plaza, is $6.00 so it's worth it if you are planning on riding the bus more than 4 times.

Do you need help figuring out what routes you need to take?

Only one bus from Harrisville so I'm good. :D The bus stops on Empire and my office is only a 5 minute walk away.

I plan to get the monthly pass, but I do need that inaugural ride to Kennedy Plaza. :D

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone have any thoughts on RIPTA's new electronic fare boxes that go live on July 30th?

I think its a fantastic step. Payment really only works for people with bus passes right now, and is a pain for those without. If the electronic boxes are reprogrammable, there is no reason why they shouldn't take credit/debit or cell phone payments in the future.

Commuter rail plans subject of Monday hearing

By: JOSEPH FITZGERALD, Staff Writer

07/08/2007

Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

WOONSOCKET - Officials are encouraging residents and other interested parties to join them for a public hearing Monday to discuss the future of commuter rail services in the city, says Catherine Ady, city planner.

The transportation consulting firm Jacobs Edwards & Kelcey of Providence will take center stage at the hearing, set for 6 p.m. in Harris Hall. The company has just completed a study to determine whether Providence, Worcester or Boston is the most feasible destination for a commuter rail link with Woonsocket and will elaborate on its findings and recommendations during the gathering.

Citing projected ridership, environmental obstacles and other factors, JEK has determined that a Woonsocket-to-Providence link stands the best chance of succeeding in the competition for grants and government funding for the project.

"Many people have been following this project and we want to let them know what the findings and recommendations are," said Ady.

The company's findings have so far been compiled in a draft report which will be finalized and made available to the general public after the hearing, said Ady, who is coordinating the work.

Archived