Why don't more people use RIPTA?

Cotuit

I haven't ever taken that bus but I won't let that stop me from opining...

Thanks for the detailed info! I've been mulling the options, because there are TONS and TONS of technical writing jobs (my old career, before I went to business school) in Cambridge -- not too many in Boston and very few in PVD, but lots of tech companies in Camb -- but the thought of taking the train/bus to South Station, then adding the additional time for the Red Line makes it probably 2 hours door-to-door. That makes for a long day, even if you only work 8 hours -- which is not the norm in the tech biz, or probably anywhere else these days!

Interestingly enough, last week, I interviewed for a job in Westwood, so I could commute on the train and get off at the University/128 stop -- altho' it would take considerably longer than driving to do that, at least it's an option. First, though, I have to get the job :rolleyes:

Urb

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the detailed info! I've been mulling the options, because there are TONS and TONS of technical writing jobs (my old career, before I went to business school) in Cambridge -- not too many in Boston and very few in PVD, but lots of tech companies in Camb -- but the thought of taking the train/bus to South Station, then adding the additional time for the Red Line makes it probably 2 hours door-to-door. That makes for a long day, even if you only work 8 hours -- which is not the norm in the tech biz, or probably anywhere else these days!

Urb

When I worked at Harvard it was exactly 2 hours door to door taking the T and then the red line.

I don't know how long its been like this, but since my last check, the MBTA has updated their website with the use of google maps. It looks pretty slick.

If RIPTA's website looked like this...

It changed about a month ago and I love it too! Whatever the redesign cost they certainly got their money's worth.

I've been mulling the options, because there are TONS and TONS of technical writing jobs (my old career, before I went to business school) in Cambridge -- not too many in Boston and very few in PVD, but lots of tech companies in Camb -- but the thought of taking the train/bus to South Station, then adding the additional time for the Red Line makes it probably 2 hours door-to-door.

When I worked at Harvard it was exactly 2 hours door to door taking the T and then the red line.

Those jobs are probably in Kendall. So it's not quite as far as Harvard.

I e-mailed Gary Bliss from the Mayor's office today. He is staffing the Transit 2020 Working Group. The Working Group's findings were supposed to be presented yesterday, and I am hoping that Gary can confirm that this presentation did indeed occur and advise as to how a report can be obtained. Did anyone on the forum hear any feedback on this? I'll keep you posted as to whether Gary responds to my question.

I e-mailed Gary Bliss from the Mayor's office today. He is staffing the Transit 2020 Working Group. The Working Group's findings were supposed to be presented yesterday, and I am hoping that Gary can confirm that this presentation did indeed occur and advise as to how a report can be obtained. Did anyone on the forum hear any feedback on this? I'll keep you posted as to whether Gary responds to my question.

i thought some members of here were part of that working group...?

Gov Carcieri's proposes new 7 billion dollar budget . Carcieri ignores a projected $7.3 million deficit at the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority in his budget, essentially saying he will leave it up to RIPTA to figure out how to keep the buses running.

I would have preferred more leadership on this issue. He certainly doesn't mind spending tens of millions on roads. So does that means he would support increasing RIPTA's share of the the gas tax revenue? The point is, we don't know what this means. Maybe if he's indifferent, a large outpouring of support in favor of more state aid to RIPTA, in conjunction with the Transit 2020 findings might build support for filling the current deficit gap. Hopefully, cuts in service and fare increases will not be part of the plan.

I would have preferred more leadership on this issue. He certainly doesn't mind spending tens of millions on roads. So does that means he would support increasing RIPTA's share of the the gas tax revenue? The point is, we don't know what this means. Maybe if he's indifferent, a large outpouring of support in favor of more state aid to RIPTA, in conjunction with the Transit 2020 findings might build support for filling the current deficit gap. Hopefully, cuts in service and fare increases will not be part of the plan.

I am a member of the 2020 working group and the news of the Governor's budget decisions about RIPTA were not anticipated as part of the 2020 recommendations. They suck, but RIPTA will survive. The report will be very kind to RIPTA and will hopefully result in far greater funding in the future and a much larger and more responsible role for them re RI transit. RI public tranist is a very complicated issue that needs to be simplified. The DOT is running the trains, which they really don't want to do, and RIPTA is managing to keep the bus system alive. These need to be brought together under the RIPTA umbrella as a transit manager. Again, nothing is simple about this, which is silly. It requires a legislative action which we can discuss later. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed in this legislative session. I don't know, but I think this may be the most important issue we have to confront when it comes to growth, density and economic development. None of it will happen without a well functioning metropolitan area transit system. Cotuit, let's discuss this with the group over a beer.

I am a member of the 2020 working group and the news of the Governor's budget decisions about RIPTA were not anticipated as part of the 2020 recommendations. They suck, but RIPTA will survive. The report will be very kind to RIPTA and will hopefully result in far greater funding in the future and a much larger and more responsible role for them re RI transit. RI public tranist is a very complicated issue that needs to be simplified. The DOT is running the trains, which they really don't want to do, and RIPTA is managing to keep the bus system alive. These need to be brought together under the RIPTA umbrella as a transit manager. Again, nothing is simple about this, which is silly. It requires a legislative action which we can discuss later. Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed in this legislative session. I don't know, but I think this may be the most important issue we have to confront when it comes to growth, density and economic development. None of it will happen without a well functioning metropolitan area transit system. Cotuit, let's discuss this with the group over a beer.

what's your opinion of splitting ripta into 2 separate organizations... one that handles solely providence and the immediate area (pawtucket, EP, NP, cranston, and parts of warwick) and another that covers the rest of the state? perhaps the one doing providence could also have a newport branch and maybe a woonsocket branch (though i admittedly don't know a thing about woonsocket). the organization that covers the rest of the state would handle any commuter trains throughout the state (westerly to prov, prov to worcester, and perhaps prov to newport).

thoughts?

what's your opinion of splitting ripta into 2 separate organizations... one that handles solely providence and the immediate area (pawtucket, EP, NP, cranston, and parts of warwick) and another that covers the rest of the state? perhaps the one doing providence could also have a newport branch and maybe a woonsocket branch (though i admittedly don't know a thing about woonsocket). the organization that covers the rest of the state would handle any commuter trains throughout the state (westerly to prov, prov to worcester, and perhaps prov to newport).

thoughts?

Honestly, I'm not a transportation manager. My gut is that we are a small state and they (RIPTA) really fight for every penny and spliting it up would increace administrative cost and lose effectiveness on the funding side. Unfortunately, the world is into consolidation for a reason. But, the guy who almost runs the joint, Mark Therrien, is an amazing guy and is really open to ideas about how to improve RIPTA. He will cringe at this, but email him with any ideas you have.

thoughts?

Seems like a bad idea. The system needs to be coordinated, and RI is such a small place that it's not unreasonable that people in Providence would want to get to other places in the state seamlessly, and vice versa. It's not like NY where different states and large constituencies with varying needs make different systems feasible. One of RIPTA's advantages is that it is statewide. It's fighting for funding as it is; imagine if it had to fight with a suburban bus system for funding, too? It's not unreasonable that the burbs will get better funding - political influences will come to trump transportation ones.

I agree, the RIDOT train situation isn't ideal. My dream scenario is a merging of RIDOT and RIPTA into something like TransLink in Vancouver, which covers the entire regional government area, basically equivalent to the size/scope of RI. Buses, trains, and major roads/bridges are managed by the same agency, which has a coordinated plan that gives priority to transit. That is what we should be aiming for.

what's your opinion of splitting ripta into 2 separate organizations...

I wouldn't split them into two agencies, but I think internally RIPTA needs to do a better job of thinking about how local intra-city and regional inter-city service differs and what the needs of the customers are. I've said before, I think RIPTA is trying to be all things to everyone and not doing a very good job servicing anyone as a result. And I'm also a big fan of different branding for different kinds of service, sub-brands of the RIPTA brand, but individual brands nonetheless. Branding can work to trick people who wouldn't consider RIPTA, to consider whatever it is rebranded to in their area.

I agree, the RIDOT train situation isn't ideal. My dream scenario is a merging of RIDOT and RIPTA into something like TransLink in Vancouver, which covers the entire regional government area, basically equivalent to the size/scope of RI. Buses, trains, and major roads/bridges are managed by the same agency, which has a coordinated plan that gives priority to transit. That is what we should be aiming for.

I love it. We are certainly small enough to consolidate these things. A general transportation umbrella agency under which falls different divisions for bus, rail, road, construction...

yes, trains, buses and bridges (operation of - not construction) should all be one - like the MBTA and Massport minus the airports, plus the bridges.

Once the CR is in place at TFG and Wickford (hopefully URI/WK and WST soon thereafter), a combined system under one umbrella would offer cost savings for overhead, adminsitration, parts, maintenance, and most importantly for the customer - coordinated schedules that offer sensible, timely, and convenient connections between modes and lines.

Doesn't Thom have some involvement in RIPTA...

I wish I could be on that committee - transportation is my thang!!!

I think internally RIPTA needs to do a better job of thinking about how local intra-city and regional inter-city service differs and what the needs of the customers are. I've said before, I think RIPTA is trying to be all things to everyone and not doing a very good job servicing anyone as a result. And I'm also a big fan of different branding for different kinds of service, sub-brands of the RIPTA brand, but individual brands nonetheless. Branding can work to trick people who wouldn't consider RIPTA, to consider whatever it is rebranded to in their area.

Excellent point. Right now, everything with wheels that RIPTA runs for the general public is just "the RIPTA bus," with the exceptions of the trolley and Flex service. Cotuit, I know you've had a few suggestions for the various RIPTA brands/services, but here are mine, similar to the brands the LA MTA does:

RIPTA Rapid: BRT service (Allens Ave, forking at RW Park to the Airport or Pastore/Garden City; North Main; Rail Tunnel/EP Waterfront, etc.). The North Main line would be more like LA's Metro Rapid service, while the others are more akin to LA's Orange Line. Low-floor BRT buses with a unique paint scheme.

RIPTA Local: Traditional local service.

RIPTA Express: Commuter or limited-stop cross-state service. A new paint job may not be necessary, but the buses should be numbered "X1, X2," etc.

The Trolley: primarily tourism lines in Providence and Newport; successful (at least in Newport), but the brand can always be strengthened and maybe some service expanded.

The Ferry: no qualms here.

One of the most innovative things I've seen is the LA MTA's 12-Minute Map (PDF). It shows all the lines where, during the day, the buses run so often you don't need a schedule. RIPTA has been doing some innovative schedules with its "trunk" routes (click here: Charles Street, Olneyville Square, East Side Bus Tunnel, and hopefully Elmwood/Broad), but more can be done.

RIPTA should be rolling out electronic farecards in a few months...their e-newsletter said it might be this coming summer (?). As for a card name, I suggest Surfboard. It goes with RIPTA's "Ride the Wave" slogan.

but here are mine, similar to the brands the LA MTA does:

Yes, I really like the LA MTA when it comes to branding.

RIPTA should be rolling out electronic farecards in a few months...their e-newsletter said it might be this coming summer (?). As for a card name, I suggest Surfboard. It goes with RIPTA's "Ride the Wave" slogan.

Yes, I read that too and meant to see if I could find out from Thom what's up with that. The project's been stalled for years, and the state's flat broke, but all of a sudden this is happening?

Seems like a bad idea. The system needs to be coordinated, and RI is such a small place that it's not unreasonable that people in Providence would want to get to other places in the state seamlessly

BINGO! I keep looking at jobs in places like Warwick and Cranston -- but when I start looking at the bus schedules, it always ends up that it would take much longer to take the bus than to drive (from the East Side). And we did NOT move back to the city so we could drive to work! (Unless I end up working in Norwood or along 495 or whatever -- I mean locally, one should not have to drive to work from a house in the city!)

Urb

• 3 weeks later...

The bus shelter thingee new my house now has a full schedule! Of course, of the other 6 or so bus shelters along the route (42), only one other one has the schedule, but at least it's a start. We'll see how long it takes vandals to figure out how to deface it properly. Stupid vandals.

GTECH Offers RIPTA Monthly Passes Free to Employees Who Relinquish Subsidized Parking

It's one prong of a multi-prong solution to increase transit use but it is also a decision that I applaud. Besides, a $45 monthly pass is cheaper for a company to subsidze than the cost of parking. Plus, it's cheaper for the employee who is will be paying less for gas and insurance.

GTECH Offers RIPTA Monthly Passes Free to Employees Who Relinquish Subsidized Parking

It's one prong of a multi-prong solution to increase transit use but it is also a decision that I applaud. Besides, a $45 monthly pass is cheaper for a company to subsidze than the cost of parking. Plus, it's cheaper for the employee who is will be paying less for gas and insurance.

this is terrific news!! more downtown companies need to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard there is a plan in the works to move the bus stops on Thayer Street into the bus tunnel approach, so that there would be more of a bus station in the tunnel entrance and buses would no longer be stopping on the street. I'm not sure how much engineering would be done to accomplish this, as is now, the sidewalks in the tunnel entrance are not wide enough for passenger to wait for and board buses.

LiveLocal View

• 4 weeks later...

I realize this is after the fact, but kudos to Citizens Bank for making this possible. Hopefully, more companies can offer similar programs as well as a more intensive marketing effort behind the program (I did not know about this until I boarded the bus on Wednesday).

Citizens Bank announces free RIPTA bus rides on April 18

Archived