Why don't more people use RIPTA?

Cotuit

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joshua Miller/Edwin Pacheco: Time for the governor to board the bus

Joshua Miller is a Rhode Island state senator representing parts of Cranston and Warwick. Edwin Pacheco is a Rhode Island state representative who represents Burrillville and Glocester. http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/...48.411ac4b.html

We need more of this out of the Assembly, keep hammering home how much Carcieri is hurting this state.

It is frustrating that RIPTA makes announcements about schedule changes weeks ahead of time, but does not make the new schedules available until only days before they take affect. People who use RIPTA daily would be better served by having access to the new schedules with enough advance notice to actually plan ahead.

I mean, they obviously know what the new times will be when they make the generic announcement.

RIPTA plans to cut service by 20 percent

RIPTA plans to cut service by 20 percentThe Rhode Island Public Transit Authority said the cutbacks would affect 50 regular routes, eliminating some and chopping off sections of others. They would reduce the number of buses on some lines, increase the time between buses on others and eliminate some evening and weekend service.

The proposed cuts would eliminate Saturday express Providence and all Newport buses (route 14)from the airport (there is already no Sunday express/Newport buses) and all buses after 7pm 7 days a week (route 20). Tough pill to swallow when we should be strengthening intermodal connectivity and growing options.

Can't they change the way the gas tax is calculated/allocated instead. Make it a % of sales instead of a flat cents per gallon???

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am surprised that the news coverage about RIPTA's schedule and route changes has not reported that RIPTA has brought back the #6 Prairie Avenue route for weekday service.

http://www.ripta.com/schedules/schedules.php

What a waste. You have both an Eddy & Broad St line, so why do you need a Prairie St bus? Obviously to appease the elderly community that lives at 50/60 Prairie Ave.

• 2 weeks later...

What a waste. You have both an Eddy & Broad St line, so why do you need a Prairie St bus? Obviously to appease the elderly community that lives at 50/60 Prairie Ave.

Ah, back to the days when it ran every 15 minutes and every 10 during commutes. When the area was filled with triple deckers of Irish and Jewish descent. The line was also in conjunction with the old Ocean Street Line, number 7?, that ran the same headways. When the area between Eddy and Broad was filled with over 40,000 residents. And was served by the Broad 11, Praire 6, Ocean, Eddy 1 and Eddy-Edgewood 1-A, and the Gaspee 2 and Gaspee-Plateau 2-A. But do we really need a Praire now when a few Broads could be diverted? The waste of a good bus each weekday!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love the ferry service, I really do, and I will miss it greatly.

That said, if it comes back it should come back with the idea that it would be solvent. This is not mass transit in a pure form. You can't really commute with it, it can take longer than the bus (much longer if you also have to figure out a way to get to the ferry) and the bus is cheaper and more frequent. On top of that, how many people commute from Newport to PVD and vice versa anyway? So I think you really have to set this up as more of a summer fun/touristy thing and market to families. Maybe you could pick up more commuters if it made a couple of stops - Quonset? to drive up ridership. The problem is that unlike a bus it does take awhile to get a boat stopped and started again and especially given the geography of the Bay, any stops would necessarily add a bunch of distance to the trip.

I don't think it should get funds that could otherwise go to the busses or other RIPTA services until it has a viable commuter use.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure the point has been made elsewhere that the RIPTA website doesn't let you bookmark individual route schedules. NO MORE!

Some local hackers created RhodeB.us - it's a RIPTA bookmark thingee. No idea how this works, but it is teh awesome. I already put schedule links on the Pawtucket Now wiki Getting Around page. Yes, the wiki is chugging away nicely, thanks for asking.

I'm sure the point has been made elsewhere that the RIPTA website doesn't let you bookmark individual route schedules. NO MORE!

Some local hackers created RhodeB.us - it's a RIPTA bookmark thingee. No idea how this works, but it is teh awesome. I already put schedule links on the Pawtucket Now wiki Getting Around page. Yes, the wiki is chugging away nicely, thanks for asking.

Beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived