Centennial Tower

eandslee

For those who do not know this, but there was a fire in one of the businesses at this site. True that structure was to be demolished to make way for the Centennial Tower, but I hope this does not slow done progress (i.e. fire investigation and insurance crap). The business that burned was the Main Street wellness and Fitness Center. Damage was mostly in the inside in the form of smoke and water damage.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Tommy for the pictures. Underneath the rendering, it appears that the sign mentions "Luxury Apartments" but I don't see a mention of condos. Is it possible that they switched it to apartments?

Actually, it says Luxury Residences, so nevermind :)

It's nice to have a sign up there alerting people of what is to come. For a moment, I thought the fire in the Spa may have been Goodstein's way of speeding up the demolition process :)

• 2 weeks later...

It appears demo may have started. All vacant storefronts have been boarded up.

Shak, Are all the properties to be demolished vacant or are there a few hangers-on?

What's going to happen to the building your office is in when the Fed job is complete? And who owns it? The National improvements should raise your building's value.

And tell us about the hole across the street. A few days ago Ryan on RCW reported that it was about 60% filled.

well the tower is a bit disappointing, but being that it is just apartments, it wouldn't make sense for it to even strive to be a landmark tower.

Still would like something to really push the height in the city.

Although my true disappointment with the tower is its interaction with the street. Richmond is such a dense city for its size that it really needs to more street contact with all its buildings. Hopefully this wont be a continuing trend for new buildings in the city.

I want to say Shak's building is owned by the ownder of the Wilton Co.? Not totally sure though.

That is corrrect. The Wilton Co owns the building I am in.

The last I checked, there are still some tenants hanging around the Centennial Tower site.

It's important to note that as far as I know, Pollard and Bagby did not let Goodstein purchase their parking lot directly behind the buildings fronting Main (the one in your last pic). Maybe that has changed, but if so I'm unaware of it.

Thanks for the pics... even boarded up windows are progress :)

The green, red and gray low-rises in next to last pic will stay. Centennial will take up the rest of the Main Street frontage from the gray building all the way to 6th street.

In the same shot, I have always liked the mid-rise poking above the green structure at n/e corner of Main and 5th.

is there going to be an upcoming announcement?

I was told about this by someone who is not involved with Goodstein but is in a position to know about the lodging situation in Richmond. I don't know when or if there will be an announcement. This person also is sure the M&R property will be a Hilton Garden Inn.

They've posted additional larger pictures of Centennial on some of the vacant, boarded up store fronts.

Yeah I saw the large pictures. I sat there and stared at them for 20 mins. The top of the tower reminders me of 191 Peachtree in Atlanta.

Archived