Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monti, you definitely will not get an arguement from me about our vehicle connection to the airport. It needs to be fixed pronto. I'd love an expressway there, but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I'll settle for Cap. Circle being multi-laned from both directions to/from the airport. Again maybe another reason to give ole Debbie the boot. I believe she has been a major obsticle in getting this segment multi-laned.

That whole issue with nine bump road (the short-cut connector between Orange and Cap. Cir) includes that being Debbie's back yard. Nimby issues are much more significant when one of the back yards belongs to a city official.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I for one love the location of our aiport (a short drive from my house or office), the size of it (short walks, relatively short lines), and the regular connections to ATL (lots of crown rooms, restaurants open late).

I don't think it is realisitc for us to think that we will ever have a chance to make it everywhere we want to go on a direct flight, and having the short 45 minute flight to ATL makes the entire world relatively accessible.

If we had a huge airport like other big cities, I would have to waste an extra half hour or more on every trip. if you live in Orlando, you have to drive/park/walk/tram/etc for 2-3 hours before you even get on the plane. Here I can be on the plan 35-45 minutes max after leaving my house. And more importantly, when the flight lands, I am home 25-30 minutes later.

My drive home (to SW) is two-lane, but there is rarely any traffic at the times that I am flying (usually 6am/12m).

And, again probably in the minority, i fly almost exclusively on freq flyer points from AMEX, so I don't even care about the high prices. In fact, the more expensive the ticket would have been the better deal I feel I am getting. On that point, I got a spam from Spirit Airlines yesterday that had a sale called "dead presidents" with about 100 different flights on sale from $1 each way. Obviously with limited availability, and many were $5, $10, $20 $50 and $100, but even at $100 they were great deals. No airline in Tally would ever be caught doing that (like Airtran used to with $39 flights to tampa).

That all being said, I know that more competitive pricing, better direct flight options, nicer roads to/from, and international status would all be better for the community, so let's do it.

Alright guys!!! Its time to put your time in and make it happen. Check out the link and get as many people as possible to fill it out. Tell everyone you know and lets get a grass roots effort going to get JetBlue to fly into Tallahassee. link:http://www.jetblue.com/email/citysuggest.asp?intcmp=where_we_fly1

You can vote for Tallahassee and recommend where to fly to . I recommended New York and Washington. This could be the answer to all our hopes and prayers for the airport. :yahoo:

Let's keep the momentum going!!! Please pass this web site link to as many people as possible and to other Tallahassee related web sites.

I voted for TLH to JFK and Dulles respectively.

Although I think Delta's failed TLH-JFK run may be an ominous sign. If they couldn't fill a regional jet of 50 or 70 seats, they're not going to fill Jet Blue's larger jets. You have to consider Jet Blue's fleet... Airbus A320's seat 150. Embraer 190's seat 100. They are going to need a market that can fill at least 80% of the seats per flight.

A Washington run may be more likely as there is a lot of government, lobbyist, and business travel between the two capitals. I personally average 3 or 4 Washington trips a year. I know many state employees who do it almost monthly.

Be hopeful of the future though... a BIG trend amoung aircraft manufacturers and airlines will be to build a cross between regional jets and full size jets. Expect planes that still only seat about 70 - 100 people, but have a little more space and comfort. They will have under-wing engines and longer ranges.

With these new aircraft in 5-10 years, I could realistically see enough demand for a regional carrier to fly one daily non-stop from Tallahassee to: Raleigh, Newark, JFK, LaGuardia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, Cincinatti, Los Angeles, Denver, Salt Lake City, Detroit.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I for one love the location of our aiport (a short drive from my house or office), the size of it (short walks, relatively short lines), and the regular connections to ATL (lots of crown rooms, restaurants open late).

I don't think it is realisitc for us to think that we will ever have a chance to make it everywhere we want to go on a direct flight, and having the short 45 minute flight to ATL makes the entire world relatively accessible.

If we had a huge airport like other big cities, I would have to waste an extra half hour or more on every trip. if you live in Orlando, you have to drive/park/walk/tram/etc for 2-3 hours before you even get on the plane. Here I can be on the plan 35-45 minutes max after leaving my house. And more importantly, when the flight lands, I am home 25-30 minutes later.

My drive home (to SW) is two-lane, but there is rarely any traffic at the times that I am flying (usually 6am/12m).

I'm w/you on liking TLH. I use it often and love the convenience as I've stated here many times. When I lived in FTL is was a crap shoot getting to and from the airport and dealing w/security. We had to leave home hours and hours before flight time. Now I can be home in my living room in 20 minutes after I land especially if I don't check luggage.

I do not like ATL, but I also don't expect us to have connections cities all over the country. What I'm looking for is just a few more hub connections, say like DFW maybe SLC, possibly Dulles or Reagan and good connections in FL. I think we need a flight to SW FL (Ft. Myers.)

I would like a four laned road to the airport and one that is more eye pleasing than Springhill or Lake Bradford roads especially when bring first-timers into Tally.

Otherwise I'm happy..well I'd like cheaper flights too.

Fantastic link there SD, I'll go vote now.

I sent an email to JetBlue, asking about possible services to TLH in the future. I kind of got the run around, but here it is:

Thank you for your interest in the growth of JetBlue Airways. We enjoy feedback from future JetBlue

customers! We are always evaluating new cities to serve where our low fares and extraordinary

customer service will be well received. You may not be aware that we are one of only three airlines

to receive approval to operate nonstop service to Cancun, Mexico. Our once daily service will begin

on November 30, 2006!

We will forward your suggestion to our Route Planning Department for consideration. For

announcements of new "Cities", please stay tuned to our website, www.jetblue.com. Also, we have a

new, interactive Route Map on our website. Please click here to see our current cities:

I sent an email to JetBlue, asking about possible services to TLH in the future. I kind of got the run around, but here it is:

Thank you for your interest in the growth of JetBlue Airways. We enjoy feedback from future JetBlue

customers! We are always evaluating new cities to serve where our low fares and extraordinary

customer service will be well received. You may not be aware that we are one of only three airlines

to receive approval to operate nonstop service to Cancun, Mexico. Our once daily service will begin

on November 30, 2006!

We will forward your suggestion to our Route Planning Department for consideration. For

announcements of new "Cities", please stay tuned to our website, www.jetblue.com. Also, we have a

new, interactive Route Map on our website. Please click here to see our current cities:

Can anyone say FORM LETTER? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Travel at Tallahassee Regional Airport is driven by business, as usual

"Tallahassee Regional Airport has long suffered from the reputation of being a "You can't get there from here" facility, where higher fares and fewer direct flights from major commercial carriers frustrate travelers and distract city efforts to attract business and industry."

Linkage

And lets not forget about our lobbyists who need to fly locally in state. I picked flights from TLH to Orlando and Washington DC.

You'd be surprised, the bulk of the in-state lobbyists drive, and very few out of state lobbying firms send people in, most of the time they hire local (or in-state) firms to represent them in state politics.

Travel at Tallahassee Regional Airport is driven by business, as usual

"Tallahassee Regional Airport has long suffered from the reputation of being a "You can't get there from here" facility, where higher fares and fewer direct flights from major commercial carriers frustrate travelers and distract city efforts to attract business and industry."

Linkage

I read that article but didn't think to post it here b/c it basically said nothing or at least anything that we don't already know.

Maybe the lobbyist aren't flying, but the contractors sure are.

I only posted it because it pretty much wraps up what I think is wrong with the city's approach to the airport.

Trying to grab another carrier will only get you so far. At least they recognize that Delta didn't play nice when AirTran was here, and they're going to be skeptical about trying to get another one in until they are confident enough that there is buying public to support it.

As much as I like Southwest, I think trying to actively court them to serve Tallahassee is a mistake. They're main Florida focus seems to be Tampa, and as mentioned before, Tampa is over-served.

I've always said that the best thing that could possible happen to TLH would be a successful, locally-based commuter airline that would serve major regional hubs only. Dump Delta, who doesn't seem to be doing us any favors, as a good RJ schedule to ATL could possibly undercut them on prices. Let's not kid ourselves, trying to make TLH anything more than a regional airport, with this level of travel, is a mistake.

I only posted it because it pretty much wraps up what I think is wrong with the city's approach to the airport.

I'm sorry, that wasn't a slam on you UD503J, but on the article itself.

Flying out of TLH a lot, I don't expect to fly from here to everywhere, just to hubs, but I do want to fly to those hubs for less than I'm paying now.

Your idea about a local airline is smart, not sure how feasible the start up costs would be, but a good idea. Maybe the guys over at flightline could help us out on that one?

I'm sorry, that wasn't a slam on you UD503J, but on the article itself.

I didn't take it as one, don't worry.

Flying out of TLH a lot, I don't expect to fly from here to everywhere, just to hubs, but I do want to fly to those hubs for less than I'm paying now.

That's basically exactly the concept I'm going for.

When I first heard the concept, I thought that DayJet was exactly the sort of thing that TLH needed, just a quick way to get to a hub airport so I can catch a real plane to wherever I might be going. The more and more I hear, it really becomes a business-oriented in-and-out type air taxi service. While there's nothing wrong with that concept, I'd love to see it become a regional operator as it grows up.

I'm still not convinced we know the true demand for people who seek to fly in and out of Tallahassee. While other cities have air fares that are reasonable, we do not. Those who can afford to fly do, others choose either to Greyhound or Drive.

We all saw passenger traffic on the steady increase we prices were lower at the Airport. The airport was nearly on the way of shedding the image as an expensive way to travel when they pulled the AirTran plug and turned back the clock.

I'm just not convinced another discount carrier wouldn't work for us. Remove Delta, and bring in Southwest. What harm would it do?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a VERY encouraging article from our newspaper: Article.

Among the highlights are the fact that we may become one of only five dealers in the U.S. of Honda's VLJ, and that there are going to be a predicted 4,500 VLJs in the air around the country by 2016. Also mentioned are the Compass Pointe development and the Center of Excellence for training pilots.

This is a VERY encouraging article from our newspaper: Article.

Among the highlights are the fact that we may become one of only five dealers in the U.S. of Honda's VLJ, and that there are going to be a predicted 4,500 VLJs in the air around the country by 2016. Also mentioned are the Compass Pointe development and the Center of Excellence for training pilots.

I thought this was interesting also. Thanks for the link!

"A nationally recognized name-brand hotel with 80 to 125 rooms will be built to accommodate users of the Center of Excellence, flyers from both the commercial and general aviation terminals, and visitors going to Innovation Park and other southside businesses. Private investors would pay for construction of the hotel. Those investors would decide on the name-brand company to run the hotel, Van Riper said."

I got a chance to read this article and I'll add my excitement to yours. I think it would be great to see some improvements along the Airport Corridor. While I don't think the General Avation side is as ugly as the news paper described it, it could use some improvements. So to could the Commercial Terminal.

I think its a smart move to relocate FexEx to the commercial side to make room for the General Avation improvements and that new Complex they hope to build. That should be nice, although I do wonder how a hotel will fare in an area with limited retail and housing. I would have liked to see Capital Circle work completed before all of this was designed, but I'll take what they give us at this point.

Great News for the Airport indeed!

Not to mention Legislative session. It would really do us well to have an entertainment venue (i.e. Race Track, Water Park, bigger Museum / Zoo) to draw more leisure tourist.

I have thought that very thing ever since Kent Beuschner (spelling?) made Wild Adventures one of the fastest growing theme parks in America out of a ranch. He actually leased that ranch to a travelling fair for a while and the park itself got its start when some of the rides were left there permanently. If the North Florida Fairgrounds did move, it would be wonderful to see a small theme park sprout out of that plot.

Archived