Tiers of US cities

tocoto

Merper - I agree with most of your points in your assessment and that the "Big 3" belong to a tier of their own, but about your comment that Koreans consider Harvard and MIT to be the most prestigious - why do they single out these two - or did you just list them as examples since you were talking about Boston? ;) But overall would you say that the people you know there are more university prestige conscious than your typical American?

BTW considering that you seem to be a newbie, are you familiar with the GAWC ranking?

He clearly stated that he spent a good portion of his life in Seoul.

Which University to hypothesize are more prestigeous internationally, Brown? ;)

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to stereotype asians in any way, but in my experience, even by grade school, my korean friends were already talking about MIT and Harvard. In fact, the first time I ever heard of those institutions, it was because of my korean schoolmates.

So to answer your question, i'd say that from my experience, i'd say yes, they are more university prestigious concient there.

I'd say that MIT and Harvard are the top two, but any ivy league school really would have the same effect...

• 4 weeks later...

If you use more than population to guage if a city is tier 1 or not, then I don't thing there are any other Global Tier one cities in the world except for London, New York, and Tokyo. In fact, I would even question London being on this list.

If you consider population to be the primary consideration however then the number looks more like this.

1. Tokyo

2. Mexico City

3. New York

4. Seoul

5. Sao Paulo

6. Osaka

7. Jakarta

8. Delhi

9. Los Angeles

10. Cairo

11. Manila

12. Buenos Aires

13. Bombay

14. Moscow

15. Shanghai

16. Calcutta

17. Koln-Ruhr Sprawl (Germany)

18. Paris

19. Rio de Janerio

20. London

21. Tehran

22. Chicago

23. Karachi

24. Dhaka

25. Istanbul

26. Bejing

^ Like this: New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago are cities in the top level, or cities that are the most important. Boston, San Francisco, Miami are in a lower level, or cities that are important but not as important as the first level cities, generally speaking. Denver, Minneapolis, and St. Louis would be a lower level because they can be grouped together as a group that's even less important than those higher levels. See what I'm saying? We're trying to figure out which cities should go into which groupings.

I cannot agree with that list unless you put Houston on it. Only New York on the international level is more important than the U.S. (Not including D.C.) Check a website about Houston before anyone goes off on me. In the fields of both medicine/health, Oil and Energy and Aerospace, Houston Ranks number one. As far as Ports and Houstons efect on the economy of the U.S. houston is ranked number 2. Only because Boston's port supplies all of NewEngland and gets to the great Northwest supermetroploisis and in economy because New York is.....New York. In population houston is number 4 soon (10 years) to be number 3. Media is the one thing Housto lacks over two of the other tier one's. Now is becoming number one in bio-tech

My list is:

Tier 1

NY

Chi

Hou

LA

Bos

Tier 2

Atl

SF

Sea

Mia

Dal

Phil

Tier 3

St. L

Den

Minn

Ral

Aus

Which fact is wrong? Houston is the Energy capital of the world. The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world and research at these facilities is bar none. The Methodist hospital was on the list as in top hospitals. MD Anderson is one of the top Cancer hspitals and has a huge research park, not facility but park. Herman hospital is one of the top Trauma units. This is where mission control is, which makes it tops in Aerospace, because INTERNATIONALLY, whick what tiers are all about, everyone comes to hoston for space programs and we have three airports. We have the top port as far as tunnage but second behind Boston in total use and tunnage.

I definitly wasn't wrong in population, NY- 8mil, LA- 6-7mil, Chil-3mil and Houston 2mil and with people moving to Houston at a faster rate than any other large city with the exception of Las Vegas and Pheonix, it's been predicted that Houston (city) will past Chicago (city) in the next ten years. You don't believe it go to the census bureu and check there prediction for 2015 and 2025.

Effect on the total U.S economy, of course NY is 1st like I said but next up is Houston. Other cities like LA make good commerce but it's for LA and california, same for SF. both fields of Media and entertainment helps self not overall. SF is coming back up in the tech field but Houston has almost as many tech drivin sectors as does SF and Seattle. Oil and energy drives the nation, Ports drive the nation the ist major stop in America for the new TransAmerica Freeway is coming through Houston I-69. There are more foreign consulates in Houston than anywhere else in the states except NY, Houston has 81. Washington DC has embassys of course.

With the establishment of the new Biotech park in Houston it is slated to become number 2 behind boston and to take number 1. Check the Huson website about the new Biotech part hich will be the largest next to Boston.

Oops, left Detroit out of Tier 2. I have mad respect for Detroit bring themselves out of ashes.

What do you mean Houston is a growing city. Houston is a very establish city, only the oil bust of the late 80's mess us up, but we came back in the 90's.

We only lack heavy media, and our light rail system is in it's infancy so traveiling is more car buss dependable but we have one of the greatest freeway networks with three loops.

Where am I wrong.

Not in this case. Someone stated to check my facts as if something that I said was wrong. When someone states that you are wrong and doesn't tell you why, 1st you ask where you are wrong and then defend your position with correctness and then ask them again where you were wrong. That isn't boosting myself that is defending my position. I was, if I'm wrong where am I wrong, don't just say check your facts and then not say which one. So like anyone I checked them all and re-established.

That was wrong for you to say irrational logic. Truth is never irrational just sometimes not welcomed.

Houston simply doesn't have the rich history or overall popularity that New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, or San Fransisco have. Houston is a newer city on the rise, sure it's very important economically to the US, but as far as culture, noteriety, etc, it can't compete w/ the US "world" cities.

Ask some random person in Russia if they've ever heard of NYC, Chicago, or Houston. "Huh, Houston?"

I can't believe someone would put Houston ahead of San Fransisco btw :huh:

If you look at what I put in my last reply you will see I'm talking about more than economics. But commerce drives a city and if you ask a random person in Russia, they will know Houston. Ask'em have you heard of SF or Boston, uh, uh, uh. Nope.

Remember the Space program broaden us in the 60's. We might not be as old as NY or Bos or D.C but our History is just as rich. Not as rich as Chicago. But it was Houston who opened up the South. Our culture is very Diverse. We have large areas of different Assian Cultures from Chinatown, to little Siagon, Little Vietnam, TiHouston and, As well as New Russia. Plus everywhere from south of the Boarder. Only Miami has a higher representation of people from South of the Boarder. Not numbers but from other Latin American Coutries. People from both North Africa and from Nigeria, Congo, Ethiopia as well as South Africa call Houston home. We have the second most consulates behind NY. Washington has Embassys of course.

You might not like Houston that's fine, but saying it is not tier one or un-important is just misguided. We have economics, and economics might not be everything but it drives the nation more so than anyone else besides NY. Drives the Nation not drive it's on self or it's own state. Don't hate Congradulate.

Don't forget Houston is number 3 as in fastest growing city, 1st in best place for African-Americans and for small buisness and is in the top 5 for jobs. Meaning people are moving to Houston from outside areas. Econmics has as much to do with importance as anything else. If not for media and entertainment, where do you think LA would be.

Archived