Tiers of US cities

tocoto

Some might think it ironic to place Charlotte on the list, however it should be noted that outside of NYC, Charlotte holds the highest amount of bank assets of any city due to being the headquarters city of Bank Of America as well as Wachovia. Though its metro population is smaller then all of the other cities listed(1.7million), its importance in the states is elevated due to the financial status.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Wachovia is based in Winston-Salem.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

To the person who said that they didn't understand how philadelphia was in the same league as boston, dc etc ... how isn't it? What do they have that philadelphia doesn't offer other than businesses. ok... dc has the president ... so what?! and to all of the other people who are bashing my beloved city and saying it isn't a tier city, at least spell the damn name right. Its PHILADELPHIA not philidelphia or philadephia or whatever else you said. Bigger isn't always better people! :angry:

Some might think it ironic to place Charlotte on the list, however it should be noted that outside of NYC, Charlotte holds the highest amount of bank assets of any city due to being the headquarters city of Bank Of America as well as Wachovia. Though its metro population is smaller then all of the other cities listed(1.7million), its importance in the states is elevated due to the financial status.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point but financial is just one of many measuring sticks, added to that the "wealth" of a BankAmerica or Wachovia that is "branch oriented" doesn't translate into the same financial pull of a NYC or Chicago, Philly, SF or even Pittsburgh. Branch oriented banks while feeding into the Charlotte HQ hold their wealth closer to its customers in Houston, SF, Seattle etc. The financial pull of the cities I listed is because of financial markets, venture firms, insurance, regional hubs in mulitple branch systems being centered there. Mellon HQed Pittsburgh for instance is the largest financial processor and among the top 5 or so financial advisory firms in assets. PNC with their blackrock funds and Federated Inv. with their Kaufmann funds aren't far behind. Yes BA and even Wachovia dwarf that on pure assets and accounts but again the strength of those companies is across the whole branch network Chicago NY SF and Philly have firms like Citigroup, etc. that make markets and kull capital almost physically to those cities. Kudos for Charlotte though in the last 20 years that city has put itself on the map of world commerce just that I would rank it lower as a "financial hub" equal to a CBOT or Pacific xchange or phillysem type metropolis.

;) , cheer up Sweetkisses, you guys in the east get more free PR then we do and most Americans still think everyone over here descends a mine shaft or pours molten steel for 12 hours a day. Philly does get some culture points across the nation, most don't realize the whole state from Hershey to Scranton to Eire and especially Philly and yes even once grimy (like 100 years ago! move on people) Pittsburgh with CMU, the Carnegie, etc. has much culture, arts, technology etc.

Best thing I can tell you is post some of the great things happening in metro Philly in the Pennsylvania board, I do know that your city-wide Wi-Fi network is getting a lot of play in the Pittsburgh papers . . . and yes America that's plural lol, we do have time to read TWO major newspapers here in the 'burgh even though we all work in the coal mines and steel plants from dusk to dawn--can't shock the mistaken reputation too much too quickly gotta ease them into what changed since 1905 :thumbsup:

one thought back on topic, was seeing how Vegas now is being looked at by both the NBA and MLB for teams and is rapidly becoming the third most important city in the SW. Don't recall seeing Vegas on any of the tiers here, like Pittsburgh's smoky city reputation, LV as a party town only good to visit might hurt it when it comes to serious rankings. I would say as far as the future of the SW Las Vegas might even be more important then LA!

;) , cheer up Sweetkisses, you guys in the east get more free PR then we do and most Americans still think everyone over here descends a mine shaft or pours molten steel for 12 hours a day.

I always thought of pittsburgh as a clean place with lots of greenery, bridges and a nice skyline :) sort of like philly but with a more midwestern feel to it

rb,

your very correct, but looking at growth LA looks anemic compared to LV, at these rates LV is the place to be. It depends on what stats you look at . . . imagine if LA multiplied itself by 5 the last two decades . . . thats the kind of raw power LV is bringing to the table. Many companies are looking at that stat vs. overall pop.

Yup.

Heres what I have.

1st Tier.

New York

2nd Tier

Los Angeles

Chicago

San Fran

Houston

Washington

Boston

Dallas

Seattle

Mpls

Philladelphia

3rd Tier

Miami

Kansas City

San Antonio

Indianapolis

Denver

Milwaukee

St. Louis

Oklahoma City

Tampa

Orlando

Tulsa

Cincinatti

Charlotte

Providence

Portland

Columbus

Sacramento

Louisville

Cleveland

In no particular order.

I think this is a pretty old board, but this is a really interesting link if you want to find out more about how the rest of the world thinks, or how one mighbt rank them professionally. Please respond with comments of what you think.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_city

A world city, or a world-class city, is a city with a set of somewhat subjective traits which often include the following:

International familiarity (or "first-name" familiarity

Yup.

Heres what I have.

1st Tier.

New York

2nd Tier

Los Angeles

Chicago

San Fran

Houston

Washington

Boston

Dallas

Seattle

Mpls

Philladelphia

3rd Tier

Miami

Kansas City

San Antonio

Indianapolis

Denver

Milwaukee

St. Louis

Oklahoma City

Tampa

Orlando

Tulsa

Cincinatti

Charlotte

Providence

Portland

Columbus

Sacramento

Louisville

Cleveland

In no particular order.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think its funny that you dont have Atlanta anywhere on that list. I'm sorry, this is no longer an opinion, your just simply wrong about tha (In my opinion, haha). Atlanta is definetly higher than about 4/5 of those cities mentioned on your list.

1st Tier.

New York

2nd Tier

Los Angeles

Chicago

San Fran

Houston

Washington

Boston

San Diego

Dallas

Atlanta

Seattle

Mpls

Philladelphia

3rd Tier

Miami

Kansas City

San Antonio

Indianapolis

Denver

Milwaukee

St. Louis

Oklahoma City

Tampa

Orlando

Tulsa

Cincinatti

Charlotte

Providence

Portland

Columbus

Sacramento

Louisville

Cleveland

In no particular order.

Food for thought...

I agree with the cities you chose for Tier 1, but isn't Charlotte way up there with the fortune 500 and banking?

Also, one aspect I find that very few people fail to consider when using the word "diversity" is the fact that culture is not simply limited to race. Geography can define culture as well. The Northern and Western cities lack any SOUTHERN culture at all. Don't get me wrong, Charlotte is far from a tier 1 city at this point, but I believe it will be there. I agree that New York is a tier-elite city, if you will as it is in a league of its own.

I believe Charlotte will eventually be one of the most TRULY diverse cities in the nation, as it will include populations of most races and cultures. Hispanic, Asian and African American populations are already increasing. The Southern Culture is obvious, and we have many New Englanders moving to the city. We are becoming increasingly transient as well.

Thoughts?

Archived